Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Did they not have some sort of program printed out for those attending showing what presentations were happening when?
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Me thinks that they didn't actually want anyone to see it.. LMAO

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just another Liberal crying baby if you ask me. Ford doesn't owe it to anyone to when they unveil cars or trucks.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I think the reason was more to keep the Mustang reveal as low key as possible so not to take away from Ford's main mission statement this year. They showed the F-150, which is the best selling vehicle in the lineup. They confirmed the Ranger and Bronco, two markets Ford currently doesn't compete in and pushed the "City of Tomorrow" theme regarding long term innovation. All that stuff points to appeasing the shareholders that Ford is stable, has a solid goal they are working towards and vehicles that can increase market share across the country.

Gotta remember Ford recently changed plans of moving production to Mexico in favor of investing into the US. This is great news for us Americans, but I am sure the bottom line will take a hit in order to achieve this. Shareholders most likely don't worry about American jobs as much as the Profit and Loss.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Interesting perspective but I am glad that someone posted the tirade here because I would have never known. Talk about Press irrelevancy.

I went to the show on Sunday and there were a lot of Mustangs there interspersed around the whole display. There were also a lot of Fusions, Focii, and Fiestas. I would say there was only moderate attention being shown toward the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, RS, and the GT Mustangs. A few seemed to be hanging out at the Fusion Sport. I wonder if Ford plopped one of the 18's in the middle of the floor if anyone would have really noticed...especially if was not a GT. The hoards of people were pouring all over the F150 however. Even my kids seemed to be only excited about the F150 and, especially, the Raptor. The second largest crowd seemed to be looking at the new Ecosport. Other than that, not much attention going on to the other vehicles. I was totally shocked that the Escape had nobody at or in it for the crowds milling about. I told my kids 'hey, check out the Escape' and they said no. No love....

It does seem a bit strange the way this roll out was done but we KNEW it was coming. Yup, it wasn't at the show before the reveal but I am not sure how much difference it makes. Besides, the NYC intro seems to be important for some reason. And if the reveal was in Detroit for press week it would have been one more week of indifference.

Sponsored

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I went on Sunday. Pretty annoying that they held off until today to reveal it. Thanks assholes!
Maybe someone can clarify for me, but didn't they only reveal on Tuesday because of the awful pics with euro lights that came out on Monday? It seemed they released as damage control because the pics that leaked made the car look really vomitty compared to how it actually looks. Ford had to release the good pics.

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Jalopnik commented on it..

1st Gear: Then What Was The Auto Show For?
The debut of the updated 2018 Ford Mustang yesterday came as a weird January surprise, considering it happened a week after the biggest auto show in North America and one where most of Ford’s big news was about mobility and trucks that don’t exist yet. What happened? Lord knows we could have used some news at the Detroit Auto Show besides just the new Toyota Camry.

DFP article
It was a weird move on Ford’s part, but I’m sure we’ll all get over it. Someday.

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
I think thier hap-hazard release was due to the video leaking Monday. So Tuesday morning they released the info as marketing damage control.

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think thier hap-hazard release was due to the video leaking Monday. So Tuesday morning they released the info as marketing damage control.
I have to wonder if you're on to something here. I thought the press-release event was rushed/quick & seemed out of place. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to do it immediately the next morning. It was odd that the guy basically introduced the event, showed the video and then just was gone after it was over and that was it.

Though they did have the new model in LA & NY and getting a car there that fast would be pretty amazing. Then again, I think they probably had the car already in LA at their design studios.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Well the reveal itself was a big letdown too with only a handfull of people around and no introduction whatsoever so not much missed there.

But I can see the point of the complaint. Car shows have press and premier days and then they open, that's how it works and Ford messed it up. Which fits perfectly well with how they messed up the 2018 front end.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Well the reveal itself was a big letdown too with only a handfull of people around and no introduction whatsoever so not much missed there.

But I can see the point of the complaint. Car shows have press and premier days and then they open, that's how it works and Ford messed it up. Which fits perfectly well with how they messed up the 2018 front end.
Ford can do whatever it wanted to do. The only people who are mad about are people who had a sense of entitlement thinking that they deserved to know about it first and exclusively before common folks.

Ford basically tossed that cart and did something out of the ordinary, which is fine.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. It was weird. Like I said here, or some other thread. It was like.. "Introducing the 2018 mustang. If you have any questions let me know. Have a great day!"

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Yes. It was weird. Like I said here, or some other thread. It was like.. "Introducing the 2018 mustang. If you have any questions let me know. Have a great day!"
Yah it seemed rushed/piece-mealed.

Like 1320 said they did something different...but most didn't like that.

Auto press must be feeling like new press did with Trump by-passing them lol.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I completely agree. I saw the video and read that Ford had a news embargo on the '18, and someone was most likely going to fry over the video hitting the internet. The little information provided the next day, by Ford, most likely backs up that scenario. It definitely appeared they were not ready to discuss the car and released a quickie update before it got out of hand.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well there goes the S550.2's chances of winning C&D's Car of the year.. LOL
Sponsored