Sponsored

Ford shortchanges Mustang fans and auto-show goers

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Looks like some in the press/Detroit area aren't happy with this secret reveal.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2017/01/17/ford-2018-mustang-reveal/96670562/
Ford Motor Co. did a disservice to some of its most loyal customers, its employees and the nearly 300,000 people who attended the North American International Auto Show’s first days with Tuesday’s stealth unveiling of the facelifted 2018 Mustang.

Anybody who paid good money for a ticket to the show’s Charity Preview Friday or public days Saturday, Sunday and Monday has reason to complain that Ford hid the fact that they could see the Mustang’s new looks and features if they stayed home til Tuesday.

Somewhere out there, a mom or dad is explaining to a Mustang-loving child they didn’t get to see the new model because Ford was playing I’ve Got A Secret when the family spent its time and money on a day at the show.

The Detroit Auto Dealers Association, which puts the show on and includes many Ford dealers, also has a legitimate gripe. Speaking for myself, and many of the other journalists from around the world who attended Ford's press conference at the show January 9, a look at the 2018 Mustang and a few hints about its improved performance would have been a welcome addition to Ford's very light presentation.

The auto show held three days of press conferences last week, Dozens of new vehicles were unveiled to generate interest in the show and allow visitors to plan a trip to see their favorites. That was good enough for Chevrolet, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen and others.

Ford, though, showed only an update of the F-150 pickup.
When asked why the company did this, Ford responded that it wanted to reveal the Mustang in New York and Los Angeles on Tuesday “so Mustang fans around the country can come and see it at the same time it goes on display in Detroit.”

Baloney. The company could just as easily have held simultaneous LA and New York events while unveiling the Mustang alongside the F-150 during NAIAS press days last Monday.

Then it would not have shortchanged the people who attend and run its home auto show.

Whatever the reason for this odd scheduling, Ford owes them an apology, and maybe a ticket for a second visit to the show so they can see the 2018 Mustang where it belongs: On the Ford stand at the North American International Auto Show.
Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Well, it's a good thing I'm going on Friday!!:headbang:

Many apologies to everyone else that's already gone. I'll take pictures for everyone here though!:thumbsup:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Lol!

That's hilarious. "Ford didn't do what we wanted them to so now we're going to complain and demand Ford compensate us for something they never intended on doing".

What a spoiled little crap show of a temper tantrum.

I live in Oregon, and my local auto show is the Portland International Auto Show...should I throw a fit and demand that Ford bring the new Mustang there?

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
[ame]

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Lol!

That's hilarious. "Ford didn't do what we wanted them to so now we're going to complain and demand Ford compensate us for something they never intended on doing".

What a spoiled little crap show of a temper tantrum.

I live in Oregon, and my local auto show is the Portland International Auto Show...should I throw a fit and demand that Ford bring the new Mustang there?
Oh I agree totally dude...but I kinda see their point...this is a big event and should probably have been revealed at that show.

Hoping it's here in 2 weeks at DC.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Oh I agree totally dude...but I kinda see their point...this is a big event and should probably have been revealed at that show.

Hoping it's here in 2 weeks at DC.
Well the thing is everyone was expecting it on the opening day or on Ford's big presser.

However, this, even a little, could bring more people to the show who may not have already gone.

Ford is being different. Apparently that's a bad thing to the DFP because it means they missed out on their money shot.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Man the Press has become nothing but a bunch of whiny bitches lately. Just report the news. Quit giving us all of your crap. These journalists hold more press conferences to voice their feelings now than most politicians do.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Man the Press has become nothing but a bunch of whiny bitches lately. Just report the news. Quit giving us all of your crap. These journalists hold more press conferences to voice their feelings now than most politicians do.
well it's the only thing they can do now to get noticed when people use twitter to convey their message (ex: trump) instead of the press and cut them out.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Well I'm not crying about it but I'd be lying if I said it didn't suck to go the the press days of Detroit and have Ford only talk about the "city of tomorrow", show logos of a Ranger and Bronco we already knew about, and show a refreshed F-150. Everyone agrees that Ford's press conference was lame. It sucked that the coolest debut at the show was a Kia...but it's Ford's car and they can botch the reveal however they like.

But the show organizers have a point. They put a lot of work into the show and for Ford to reveal this car off-site last Tuesday away from 95% of the media and then do a public reveal halfway through the public days is poor form imo. The most bizarre launch timing I've ever seen.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well it's the only thing they can do now to get noticed when people use twitter to convey their message (ex: trump) instead of the press and cut them out.
I kind of like that. No filter. At least you know he is being honest. Like it or not.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Haha, well guess what. I got to see it for free today. No complaints here.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as he doesn't tweet the missile codes that is...

-------__________
TWITTER®
TheRealDonaldTrump ~
Missile codes today are: ♣:01:25:63:44:92:31:$♦ The Phrase is Codfisher
___________------

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Had I gone Sunday and had zero idea the Mustang was being revealed, I would've gone Monday as well or just Monday. So I don't blame people. It was sort of a luck of the draw. I don't believe for a moment that Ford had any other plans than to reveal it Monday though.
Sponsored