Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon,

I am posting this because I thought my experience at a local Charlotte, NC Ford Service Department was a little strange this morning. Story is below, looking for opinions, thoughts, or if anyone else has received this kind of service. It might even be a good read...

So I have always thought my transmission was a little funny ever since buying the car two years ago, although I never threw any codes and the car always drives fine (when I get on the throttle), but at part throttle (daily, city driving) the transmission lately shifts very slow, and does not always down shift rolling to a stop. Sometimes the car will not downshift at all until I am literally almost to a dead stop and it will "bang, bang, bang" and downshift 3 times quick and jerky. After reading all of the post, and Ford docs about 10r80 cars being low on fluid and having software update issues, I decided to finally take my car to Ford, document the issue, and have them take a look at the car. I have 27k miles on the car, never had any issues, and have been Procharged since 9k miles, still with no issues and it is my daily. On to my visit with Ford this morning...

I pull into the Ford service department after scheduling the appointment days in advance. All of the techs in the bay were looking at my car (i'm assuming they heard the Procharger whistling) and when I get out of the car they all compliment the sound. I walk into the service office, and wait to speak with an advisor. While I am waiting, the techs took it upon themselves to open my hood and I see 4 guys standing around my car pointing at stuff in the engine bay. Without knowing what kind of service I needed, the advisor walks in and says " so yeah the guys are already noticing stuff you have done to your car, and are already talking about possible warranty issues". I just laughed it off because for all they know I could have been there to have an alignment... after scheduling the appointment, the advisor acted like they did not know that I was coming in. I proceed to tell the advisor about the funny shift issues lately and bring up the countless stories of cars being shipped from the factory low on fluid, and just asked if they could drive the car, and see if they are feeling what I am feeling, or if I am simply being too picky about the shift habits of my 10r80. The advisor then brings out the service manager, who immediately tries to tell me that what I am feeling is not transmission related, but engine related (without driving the car). This all happened within 10 minutes time, right after I pulled into the service department. All I all, they kept the car and are going to drive it today, and try to diagnose any potential issues. I will update everyone in the "transmission" forum on my outcome.

I wanted to share this experience to see if most dealerships are like this? I felt as if I was breaking the law, simply for bringing my car in for a diagnosis. Keep in mind I also purchased the car new from this dealership, and have never filed a warranty claim with them, or had any service performed through them, as I do oil, plugs, ect.... myself. The whole situation felt very strange to me.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I have to ask, was this type of behavior also prevalent in the first 9,000 miles when you were on the stock tune? Also, have you contacted your tuner regarding this issue and if so what did they say?

OP
OP
Sawyerjames

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have to ask, was this type of behavior also prevalent in the first 9,000 miles when you were on the stock tune? Also, have you contacted your tuner regarding this issue and if so what did they say?
It was there from the beginning, but it is a day to day basis thing. At first I thought it was just learning the driving style. Once tuned it actually smoothed out the trans, and made me enjoy it a lot more. It always had the odd downshift behavior but never the slow, delayed shifts of part throttle. I am going to see what they come up with, and then reach out to Lund and see if I can send over a "driving around town normally" log. I was just shocked by the fact they brought up warranty and started looking under the hood, not even knowing why the car was there...

OP
OP
Sawyerjames

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Better check your rear tire tread. I can guarantee the shop guys are doing burnouts galore with the Procharger test drives.
haha I agree. I have the dashcam mounted in the back of the car just in case. I'd love to catch those guys doing some crazy stuff. Funny story, when I first got the car I took it to them for my first oil change because I had a free one. They said "we also rotate your tires" I said "no thank you, my tires are staggered and directional. Needless to say, I got home and noticed both of my rear tires were facing the wrong direction. I don't know if they don't get the training they need, or if it is a communication issue. I hate taking it to the dealership, but wanted to make sure this was documented for what it's worth. I guess it doesn't matter either way now, since they are already talking warranty issues before I get in the door haha.

Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer should hear you out first before even jumping on the "modification voiding your warranty" line.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If the tune changes the trans programming, I could understand them not doing anything until that is returned to stock.

I could also understand a reluctance to try to fix things after returned to stock if they are afraid Ford wouldn't pay them claiming the extra power caused the behavior or damaged something.

From 49 years of buying new vehicles and dealing with warranties, I believe dealers have different degrees of credibility with manufactures. A dealer will always want their customer to be happy (to varying degrees) and will get away with what they can with warranties. Those that get caught going too far or being stupid by ignoring hard and fast rules don't get reimbursed (and get put on shorter leashes) which can swing the pendulum too far the other way for that dealer.

OP
OP
Sawyerjames

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer should hear you out first before even jumping on the "modification voiding your warranty" line.
yeah, it's crazy. I have never had that happen with any previous cars or dealerships. This is my first Ford, but BMW used to repair my cars under warranty like clock work.

OP
OP
Sawyerjames

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
If the tune changes the trans programming, I could understand them not doing anything until that is returned to stock.

I could also understand a reluctance to try to fix things after returned to stock if they are afraid Ford wouldn't pay them claiming the extra power caused the behavior or damaged something.

From 49 years of buying new vehicles and dealing with warranties, I believe dealers have different degrees of credibility with manufactures. A dealer will always want their customer to be happy (to varying degrees) and will get away with what they can with warranties. Those that get caught going too far or being stupid by ignoring hard and fast rules don't get reimbursed (and get put on shorter leashes) which can swing the pendulum too far the other way for that dealer.
that makes a lot of sense... I can understand that. The weird thing to me was that they did not know why I was there. I pulled in, left the car unlocked in the service bay, walked inside and then notice through the window that someone had opened my hood and was apparently pointing out mods, and discussing warranty stuff before I even said a word to an advisor. Maybe they are one of the departments on the short leash haha.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
that makes a lot of sense... I can understand that. The weird thing to me was that they did not know why I was there. I pulled in, left the car unlocked in the service bay, walked inside and then notice through the window that someone had opened my hood and was apparently pointing out mods, and discussing warranty stuff before I even said a word to an advisor. Maybe they are one of the departments on the short leash haha.
Well with a new car that's most likely still in a bumper 2 bumper warranty, unless it came in damaged from an accident then it will be something that's most likely covered under warranty.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
First off you were treated poorly by your dealer, period. Since you bought the car there why did you not go to the GM or the owner? More times than not these folks will be able to resolve your issues. Secondly, since you suspected that something could be wrong with your transmission, why did You wait 9000 and then add a possible warranty ending mod? This part just does not make any sense to me. And lastly, go find another dealer, preferably one who is mod friendly.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

Man, you must be the most unluckiest guy in the world if you had enough experience to post about
having a lot of warranty work in 49 years of buying new(?) cars.!!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Maybe they are one of the departments on the short leash haha.
That's what I was thinking. And your other post supports that:

They said "we also rotate your tires" I said "no thank you, my tires are staggered and directional. Needless to say, I got home and noticed both of my rear tires were facing the wrong direction.
Very likely they've been dinged for that if you or the many other customers they've done it to reported it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Dealership would have to prove, without any doubt that the supercharger (or any other modification) was the immediate cause of the transmission issue (OR any type of XYZ failure).

If it were my car - I would have done things differently. First, never leave the car unlocked for ANYONE to take it upon themselves to open the car or it’s hood. Your post isn’t clear on that part, but in over 30+ years of owning vehicles and taking any Brand-X to a Service Center, I’ve never had Techs just help themselves to my vehicle in the parking lot or even if parked in front of the Service Center, ever.

I would have made an immediate complaint about that to the Dealership GM.

As soon as the Service Writer blurted out anything about what the car has OR might have installed on it and implying that magically he knew it wasn’t going to be “warranty related” because of XYZ mod, I again would have asked to speak to the Dealership GM.

I would also have mentioned on the spot to “hold on, while I call Ford Corporate” and started dialing the Ford 800# to lodge a compliant and to get a Case started.

You also should have asked to take the Shop Foreman or Lead Tech on a test drive with you driving the vehicle to demo when and how the trans acts up. Then let them drive it back to the Dealership to confirm the problem exists. Why? Because now you left the car and they’re gonna pull the typical “it’s normal” BS and you’ll be stuck taking the car back and forth to try to get resolution and repair. Also don’t be surprised if they are total dirtbags by noting on your work order or within OASIS the car has been modified.

I’m not gonna preach, BUT, if the trans problem was persistent when the car was new up through 9k miles, you really should have taken it in for diagnosis before any major mods.

My guess is the problem is going to be 1 of 3 (or a combo of) common 10R80 issues:
1) low fluid from factory
2) may need 10R80 software update via Ford IDS
3) may be a valve body issue

Whether or not your Service Center will do the right thing by proper diagnosis and not trying to magically link the issue to aftermarket modifications is the bigger question at this point.
Sponsored