Sponsored

Ford reducing total platforms to 5, one RWD unibody, new Explorer will be RWD...

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
?
Please enlighten me.
Forgot Bronco was Ranger based:doh:
Was I painfully off-“base” with something else?
I can take it!!:headbonk:

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
?
Please enlighten me.
Forgot Bronco was Ranger based:doh:
Was I painfully off-“base” with something else?
I can take it!!:headbonk:
No. It's supposed to be a direct competitor to the Wrangler, therefore there will be no 2wd variant at any trim level.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
No. It's supposed to be a direct competitor to the Wrangler, therefore there will be no 2wd variant at any trim level.
Thanks.
I did not know it was going to that totally hardcore in base trim.
I’m glad!:ford:

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I don't get moving Explorer back to RWD. The current FWD/ crossover SUV has been such a hit and if it's going to stay unibody why go back to RWD?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Lincoln will be axed eventually. IMO. There’s no real business case for it as Ford refuses to do what really needs to be done with that brand. There’s no aspirational vehicle such as a Coupe/convertible in their lineup. German brands are selling them in decent numbers but yet Ford won’t go there for Lincoln. Then you also need to build exciting luxury vehicle that are not only high style but need substance too. Cadillac has been dong this and yes it’s still not there yet, but it’s far closer than Lincoln has been in over a decade.
The Navigator is killing it right now. They can't figure out how to make them fast enough and at $100k each, I'm sure their margins on them are extremely nice.

This is how Cadillac has done it for years. Nothing else sells well enough to keep the brand alive aside from the Escalade, and now the Navigator is the top dog.

Generally I’m pissed that since the change in government here and the”I don’t give a crap about the environment or the future”mentality, auto companies are starting to push the SUV’s and crossovers again. Saying coupes and sedans aren’t selling. Tell that to the Germans, tell that to the japanese. I work for Toyota, Camry’s are still selling very well because they are redesigned, look good and offer great content for the money. The Fusion is a great car, you know why it’s not selling? Because the dash and interior still look like my 2013! The engine and driveline are terrific and the AWD option is a major plus for me. Toyota and BMW just spent hundreds of millions on the new Supra and Z4whichnBmW will sell very well and Toyota may do the same with the Supra, unlike the Toyota 86. People will buy whatever product you make if it’s marketed correctly and offers things that are unique and high content. I’m not an suv guy. I MAY want a Bronco, but I’d be far more interested in a Fusion AWD sedan that is styled well, has good performance and offers a beautiful cabin. Not that I should have to say this but I LOVE my Mustang and want more cars like that from Ford than SUVs like the Explorer!
I'm not trying to poke at you but a lot of this is very misguided.

First, the push for SUVs started way before the new President. It doesn't have anything to do with the EPA standards especially now. They have been in the works since way before Trump was elected and they are doing a killer job in terms of fuel economy. That 450hp, 6K lbs Navigator gets 23mpg. The Expedition gets 24.

Fwiw, I did a little digging just to verify, and yes, the Germans are down on some sedan sales too. The E class, while still selling decently, is about 30% down over the last 2 years. The Camry, has seen declining sales since 2016 and was recently outsold by the Nissan Rouge and Rav 4 of all things. The Z4 was also not a good anecdotal pick as they haven't been able to sell more than 2000 units over the last few years, compare that to the over 10,000 they were selling in the mid 2000s.

There is a reason almost every manufacturer is bringing an SUV to market. Even Lamborghini is bringing the Urus, Maserati came out with the Levante, Jag has 2 now after killer sales with the F pace. BMW is also a good place to look, they just debuted the X2, which fits perfectly with the FWD X1, The X3, The X4, the X5 and the X6. Car companies do not usually spend billions in development prior to putting a vehicle to market without doing some research. There are a ton of other examples like what Ford is doing and that Ferrari is considering the same but that's probably enough to get the point across.

Companies have 2 options, they can build what the market wants, or die. Right now the market wants SUVs, no matter how hard you market anything else they are going to continue to buy them.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
So,

Focus/Escape (Unibody)
Fusion/Edge (Unibody)
Taurus/Explorer (Unibody) (that's why the Explorer is going back to RWD platform, the Taurus is gone)
Bronco/Ranger (Body on Frame)
Expedition/F150 (body on Frame)

So where does the new Mustang fit here? The new RWD/4WD Explorer platform (presumably from the Everest?)

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I think sharing a platform will help them build more reliable cars with better quality. When you make the same platform or motor so many times you really get the bugs worked out and get better at making them. Think panther platform or fox platform. Or even the VW bug. I'm sure the platform will be designed to be pretty adaptable.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Most sedans don't produce anywhere near the profit that SUVs do. I would very seriously consider buying a RWD (4wd trim) Explorer or Ranger. I love my 2014 loaded explorer, but you cannot beat a frame for insulating sound. Tougher, too. I can't wait to see the new stuff. My senior assistant's husband, a Chevy guy, is chomping at the bit for a new Bronco. He literally can't wait. Driving a Tacoma now, so there you have it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
So,

Focus/Escape (Unibody)
Fusion/Edge (Unibody)
Taurus/Explorer (Unibody) (that's why the Explorer is going back to RWD platform, the Taurus is gone)
Bronco/Ranger (Body on Frame)
Expedition/F150 (body on Frame)

So where does the new Mustang fit here? The new RWD/4WD Explorer platform (presumably from the Everest?)
The five "architectures" are:
body-on-frame
front-wheel-drive unibody
rear-wheel-drive unibody
commercial van unibody
Battery Electric Vehicle

I guess they found a way to share basic designs and parts while still keeping everything very flexible. I think VW and Toyota are doing the same thing.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
This is how Cadillac has done it for years. Nothing else sells well enough to keep the brand alive aside from the Escalade, and now the Navigator is the top dog.

I
srx/xt5 has been there best seller for years. last year caddy sold 3x more of those than escalades

almost all other models dropped total sales last year except xt5 and ct6

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Generally I’m pissed that since the change in government here and the”I don’t give a crap about the environment or the future”mentality, auto companies are starting to push the SUV’s and crossovers again. ]\!
comments like this are why I wish there was a down vote button or dislike option or something for posts. what an unfounded claim to make and simply ignorant.

especially considering the abysmal mileage a GT gets in the city. Or even hwy for that matter. Yes, I can get mid 20s if I baby it or barely accelerate. Real world, avg MPG since owning my car for 23k miles and 13 months is about 21 mpg, and only bc I drive a ton of hwy miles. Not exactly a Prius.

my wife's crossover gets better mileage, can haul more, carry more people and I'm assuming tow more though Ive never looked up that figure. Oh and if apples to apples comparison (not really fair at the moment though as her car is a 2011) her car is a lot nicer interior wise.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
The Ecoboost 3.5 is a potent animal....
Certainly is, and a simple tune puts that 5,000lb tank into the deep 13's
Sponsored