Sponsored

Ford Racing Sway Bar (rear) weird fitment

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Anyone else ran/installed the FRPP sways?

The front is fine, but the rear has a very weird angle at the ends where it bolts to the links.

1) The OEM bracket doesn't fit now because it has a tacked screw serving as a permanent hole and too much material to fit over the end of the bar (from the hole).
2) The angle on the FRPP has a weird turn at the end, making the sway bar end links look really strange and out of shape.

I'll try to get some photos, but we struggled with the bar for a couple of hours because it just doesn't look right when bolted up (in either soft out hole position or the stiff inner position).
Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
A week or so ago someone else had issues with theirs. There was a thread on it, but it turned out to be normal. I don’t recall any trouble with mine, but I don’t have a 350. The bracket I did have to swap upside down. Some guys just cut off that ear.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
A week or so ago someone else had issues with theirs. There was a thread on it, but it turned out to be normal. I don’t recall any trouble with mine, but I don’t have a 350. The bracket I did have to swap upside down. Some guys just cut off that ear.
Exactly what this person said, I had to flip the bracket. I would have cut the ear off but too much effort and flipping offers the same results.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Anyone else ran/installed the FRPP sways?

The front is fine, but the rear has a very weird angle at the ends where it bolts to the links.

1) The OEM bracket doesn't fit now because it has a tacked screw serving as a permanent hole and too much material to fit over the end of the bar (from the hole).
2) The angle on the FRPP has a weird turn at the end, making the sway bar end links look really strange and out of shape.

I'll try to get some photos, but we struggled with the bar for a couple of hours because it just doesn't look right when bolted up (in either soft out hole position or the stiff inner position).
You're not the first to experience install issues - take a look at this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-track-pack-sway-bar-install-issues.163800/

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I put an adjustable rear bar on, but I just want to +1 cutting off the bend on the bracket. Quick and dirty (hacksaw in one hand, vice grip in the other) takes just a couple min per side.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I put an adjustable rear bar on, but I just want to +1 cutting off the bend on the bracket. Quick and dirty (hacksaw in one hand, vice grip in the other) takes just a couple min per side.
I'll dremel or massage the brackets. Not a big deal. I've purchased the steeda rear bar (which I was hoping would arrive by this weekend but hasn't even shipped yet).

I was hopeful to have 3 bars all laid together to show everyone the angle of the end connections and how the FRPP is canted/angled.

I went to the other thread referenced above and maybe I'm just overthinking it. But with the FRPP bolted up, the end link joints are flexed far out from normal. Maybe that works, maybe there's no issue, but it just doesn't look right AND it seems to be different from all the other bars on the market, including the OEM, BMR, Steeda, etc.

Maybe whomever makes the bar for FRPP has outsmarted everyone and it's an improvement. I dunno, I just know that after bolting it up, it LOOKS like I've done something wrong.

Yes, I've checked the geometry unloaded and loaded. Same/similar out of shape geometry.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Here’s a pic of mine for reference

AF3504F8-B94F-4A2E-B93D-4B04DF6C68D1.jpeg
I haven't fully thought this through quite yet, but it almost looks like FRPP was looking to introduce a softening effect on the outer wheel, which ought to unload the inner wheel less as roll develops. IOW, a digressive bar rate as opposed to the more normal almost-linear bar behavior.

This would be happening because endlink inclination does have motion ratio consequences, overall, from bar end to suspension hub carrier, and this does vary with suspension travel.

The effect on handling balance from this effect alone would be that the car's change in understeer balance as roll develops on corner entry would become slightly more progressive than if the endlinks were at 90° angles to their bar and control arm. Not necessarily a bad thing, if it lets you get into the throttle a little deeper a little sooner . . .

Norm

Last edited:

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
That was me that just went through this. And I don't care what anybody says. The fitment is off. If it makes you feel any better the ride quality was terrble with it so I ended up putting my stock PP1 rear sway back in and couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s a pic of mine for reference

AF3504F8-B94F-4A2E-B93D-4B04DF6C68D1.jpeg
@honeybadger Do you happen to have a pic from behind the bar, like say looking at it from the rear? Is the lower link still really canted out as far as some are seeing/saying when trying to get the Ford sway bar mounted?

The images from the prior link I posted look "bad" meaning, it just looks like the Ford Performance sway bar is manufactured wrong OR isn't the right one for the S550 application.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It’s surprisingly hard to get a shot that shows the angle well. Here’s a few shots that hopefully help

1706A57E-863F-4E27-BC31-AD82E1E8CC56.jpeg
72A07266-6053-49E4-B337-4CA5265B42F6.jpeg
2C420156-B0A9-4504-90CC-18536D19DC25.jpeg
C0A0EC3A-779E-4883-AEE3-832426E1F5DD.jpeg