Sponsored

Ford performance tune + intercooler vs Cobb 3 with Catted DP

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I must admit, that does sound pretty good, especially when you can hear the turbo spool. Good combo. I would love to put an aftermarket exhaust as long as it was only a little bit louder but with a lot more flow, and you could hear the turbo spool more.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly is the difference from a oem downpipe tune to Catted downpiped tune?

More fuel? Less fuel? Is it something car compensated for? My car seems to be just fine overall running ford tune. Air fuel sits at 14 bouncing a little under and a little over but did that on old downpipe too. Wot it drops to like 12 maybe a little less, same as oem did.

So does catted and more free flow exhaust cause a leaner or richer condition? Is it only on wot that the car would even feel the difference afr? I ask because car wouldn’t put out much pressure anyway at low rpm or idle

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel should always remain at stoich regardless of the tune.
When I had my tune revised for the downpipe it was trimmed for wastgate duty cycle and boost pressure and timing at most rpms.
There is a lot more then just fuel when adjusting the pro tunes.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel should always remain at stoich regardless of the tune.
When I had my tune revised for the downpipe it was trimmed for wastgate duty cycle and boost pressure and timing at most rpms.
There is a lot more then just fuel when adjusting the pro tunes.

I know ford has torque targeting tune, I wonder if due to this I should be fine on not over boosting.

I thought it would be the afr from too much air flow causing lean or rich.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly is the difference from a oem downpipe tune to Catted downpiped tune?

More fuel? Less fuel? Is it something car compensated for? My car seems to be just fine overall running ford tune. Air fuel sits at 14 bouncing a little under and a little over but did that on old downpipe too. Wot it drops to like 12 maybe a little less, same as oem did.

So does catted and more free flow exhaust cause a leaner or richer condition? Is it only on wot that the car would even feel the difference afr? I ask because car wouldn’t put out much pressure anyway at low rpm or idle
i don’t know specifically, but I seem to recalll something about needing adjustments to take advantage of the reduced pressure for faster spool, as well as adjustments to prevent overboost. The reduced pressure could lead to the turbo spinning to fast, which could cause damage to the turbo, and/or cause the computer to go into limp mode.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase