Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Around here is about the same. I may just buy the dang kit, install it myself and move on with life.
I set up the FP account, did the procal back up of factory calibration, and then took it to the ASE shop for the parts install. The ProCal part is super simple, and you can do it in 5 minutes. I can turn wrenches just fine, but I never once did any sort of tune/obd/whatever updates, changes etc. And it was still super simple.
All you need for the warranty is a reciept showing the ASE certification number and I had them put 'install kit part number..." on it. Sent that in via email and within an hour had the warranty confirmation. That being said, save a couple of bucks and do the sound tube delete on your own before taking it to the shop.

My guy charged 2 hours labor for the install and he said 1/2 of that was the stupid sound tube because it was a biotch to get to. He did have some issues clocking the intake tube, so i think he spent more than 2 hours on it, but didnt charge me more.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Talked to all of the Ford dealerships in my area. Grand Rapids, MI and they all said they no longer do these installs. So I sent the instructions for the M-9603-M8B kit to a local ASE auto shop and this was their response to me…

“…I gave the printout to my tech who works with computers and electronics on our vehicles and he said he has never done one of these procal calibrations before. We talked about it and as far as replacing the parts go, thats pretty straight forward and we could do that but he did not want to get into the calibration part of it. Talking with him he said the best bet would be to have Ford do it as this is a Ford performance kit and they most likely have done these quite often.”

has this happened to anyone else? And does anyone know if the shop has to do the whole process for it to get the warranty?
You really just need it to be registered with their ASE id number. As noted, the instructions are convoluted but it's very simple. The tune file name was updated, recently (maybe to reflect the recall software change). I plugged it into my computer, last night, had it all downloaded and then had it installed in my car; all under ten minutes.

Just make sure you save your voucher number because you need that to login, every time.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I set up the FP account, did the procal back up of factory calibration, and then took it to the ASE shop for the parts install. The ProCal part is super simple, and you can do it in 5 minutes. I can turn wrenches just fine, but I never once did any sort of tune/obd/whatever updates, changes etc. And it was still super simple.
All you need for the warranty is a reciept showing the ASE certification number and I had them put 'install kit part number..." on it. Sent that in via email and within an hour had the warranty confirmation. That being said, save a couple of bucks and do the sound tube delete on your own before taking it to the shop.

My guy charged 2 hours labor for the install and he said 1/2 of that was the stupid sound tube because it was a biotch to get to. He did have some issues clocking the intake tube, so i think he spent more than 2 hours on it, but didnt charge me more.
THats actually a great idea around it... So after they installed the parts, did you load the tune right there? I just ordered the kit.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
THats actually a great idea around it... So after they installed the parts, did you load the tune right there? I just ordered the kit.
You have to load the tune as soon as the hardware is changed out. At no time should the car run with the stock tune and new hardware. It will throw codes. So make arrangements with your installer so you can sit in the car when they are finished, and upload the tune before starting it.

And FYI you have to download the stock tune into the Procal before you can download the Calibration Tune into the Procal from Ford Performance. The stock tune gets uploaded (backed up) to their servers and only after that are you able to download the new tune to the Procal. You will end up with a stock tune file and a calibration tune on your Procal Device. Take it with you to your installer.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Perfect, that's what I figured.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I did the ProCal setup and configuration myself, then brought it to the dealership ready to install and load the tune. The Ford tech thanked me because it saved him a bunch of time/doing computer stuff.

This includes plugging the device into the car to download the stock tune, then going back to the PC and uploading it to Ford & downloading the new tune so it was ready to go on the ProCal device.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Holy crapballs, something must have been wrong with the unit. Did you get the right part number or eventually get it installed?

The whole thing took me, a minimally mechanically inclined person, less than 30 minutes to do it all. The sound tube took all of one minute to do, I just yanked it out by hand and popped in the cap.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So whats the latest dyno numbers pre/post that someone has seen

Just Curious

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I would recommend that you as the owner do the account setup and handle the installation of the tune yourself. Ford Performance does update fixes to the tune and you should occasionally check for and perform updates.

Three years ago when I had the Calibration Kit installed, I did the short drive home to install the tune. I have done a couple updates to the tune since to correct shifting issues with the A10. It is good to know how to do the update of the tune.

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special

Great advice. Thanks!

Sponsored

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
I would recommend that you as the owner do the account setup and handle the installation of the tune yourself. Ford Performance does update fixes to the tune and you should occasionally check for and perform updates.

Three years ago when I had the Calibration Kit installed, I did the short drive home to install the tune. I have done a couple updates to the tune since to correct shifting issues with the A10. It is good to know how to do the update of the tune.
Wow you drove it home without throwing any codes? I live a quarter mile from the auto shop.

lots of good insight on this forum

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Wow you drove it home without throwing any codes? I live a quarter mile from the auto shop.

No cades were thrown. It was just over a mile drive, most under 25 MPH.

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Holy crapballs, something must have been wrong with the unit. Did you get the right part number or eventually get it installed?

The whole thing took me, a minimally mechanically inclined person, less than 30 minutes to do it all. The sound tube took all of one minute to do, I just yanked it out by hand and popped in the cap.
Well like I said an hour was the sound tube. He actually unbolted it, rather than just yanking it out. It was the correct part, and i think in this thread or another several months ago others had the same issue. The solution was to fit it as best as possible then after a heat cycle or 2 loosen and reseat. But yeah the whole install is pretty simple...hurt me to pay for it. If the car was out of warranty would have totally done it myself from soup to nuts.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

Considering you can have it all set up to install before even taking the car in, I don't see a reason to chance it... it takes about 10 minutes, if that, for the install to complete.
Sponsored