Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
HP Tuners. It is from my Ford Performance tune file, I would have to dig deeper to see if any parameters can be changed...
That's pretty cool. I was hoping you found some secret menu in our Procal software.
Sponsored

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
The rev hang video is very helpful. Emissions is the culprit. Herky jerky shifting or better emissions. Since this is the first modern manual I've owned with an electronic throttle body I had never experienced this. Had me thinking I couldn't drive stick anymore.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Having watched the video I do wonder if a ā€˜gentle liftā€™ v a ā€˜full lift / full throttle closureā€™ would help you guys ? Iā€™m not talking a massive change to the throttle, but maybe a small change could make a big difference.

Iā€™m struggling to see to see how the euro tune and the USDM tune could be so different in this respect - both tunes are chasing emissions (we even get GPF i.e. NOX filters over here that sit with the cats), rev hang doesnā€™t seem intrusive on my car and itā€™s not something I hear commonly moaned about ?

There are exceptions to that last bit of the above statement, but I had no idea rev hang even existed until joining this forum and I actually had to forcefully slow down my shifting procedure in the mustang to find it.

WD :like:

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Also, the clutch with the Mustang and that helper spring isn't helping things as well. I am very smooth with my clutch but its taken sometime to get used to it.

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Having watched the video I do wonder if a ā€˜gentle liftā€™ v a ā€˜full lift / full throttle closureā€™ would help you guys ? Iā€™m not talking a massive change to the throttle, but maybe a small change could make a big difference.

Iā€™m struggling to see to see how the euro tune and the USDM tune could be so different in this respect - both tunes are chasing emissions (we even get GPF i.e. NOX filters over here that sit with the cats), rev hang doesnā€™t seem intrusive on my car and itā€™s not something I hear commonly moaned about ?

There are exceptions to that last bit of the above statement, but I had no idea rev hang even existed until joining this forum and I actually had to forcefully slow down my shifting procedure in the mustang to find it.

For me, the gentle lift is just not normal when driving a high horsepower car. If need to drop a gear or two to make a quick pass it's not natural to slow shift in that moment. I want to clutch, select my gear and get back on the gas asap without it clunking and jerking the car.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
For me, the gentle lift is just not normal when driving a high horsepower car. If need to drop a gear or two to make a quick pass it's not natural to slow shift in that moment. I want to clutch, select my gear and get back on the gas asap without it clunking and jerking the car.
The "slow shift" only applies to upshifting (when downshifting, you want the revs to be high anyway). I also have an Europe-spec mustang, and have what I assume is the same annoying rev-hang. Could be more or less pronounced than on the USA cars, but never tried a manual US car, so no idea if there's any difference at all.

It's particularly annoying as the first 1-2 km of my commute is up a steep and twisty mountain road, so when I disengage the clutch the speed drops especially fast. Then I have to wait a long, long, time before I engage the clutch again in the higher gear to avoid an uncomfortable jerk.
If it wasn't for warranty issues (my dealer warns me in a friendly way that warranty issues will be more complicated if I bring the car in with my non-stock (Ronin) oil drain plug), plus I'm not sure this 2018+ FP tune works on European models at all., I would have ordered this tune already. Not seen anyone here mentioning installing it on a European Mustang.

It's a bit less pronounced in track mode, so unless I'm feeling particularly sedate, I normally switch the car to track mode while going up the mountain. Helps remove most of the very floaty magneride setting that normal/sport-mode has, which is quite uncomfortable on twisty roads.

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
The "slow shift" only applies to upshifting (when downshifting, you want the revs to be high anyway). I also have an Europe-spec mustang, and have what I assume is the same annoying rev-hang. Could be more or less pronounced than on the USA cars, but never tried a manual US car, so no idea if there's any difference at all.

It's particularly annoying as the first 1-2 km of my commute is up a steep and twisty mountain road, so when I disengage the clutch the speed drops especially fast. Then I have to wait a long, long, time before I engage the clutch again in the higher gear to avoid an uncomfortable jerk.
If it wasn't for warranty issues (my dealer warns me in a friendly way that warranty issues will be more complicated if I bring the car in with my non-stock (Ronin) oil drain plug), plus I'm not sure this 2018+ FP tune works on European models at all., I would have ordered this tune already. Not seen anyone here mentioning installing it on a European Mustang.

It's a bit less pronounced in track mode, so unless I'm feeling particularly sedate, I normally switch the car to track mode while going up the mountain. Helps remove most of the very floaty magneride setting that normal/sport-mode has, which is quite uncomfortable on twisty roads.
The slow shift applies to downshifting as well because it has more to do with the quick off/on of clutching and hitting the gas during the shift. But you are correct in that it is definitely more annoying having to shift going uphill.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
The slow shift applies to downshifting as well because it has more to do with the quick off/on of clutching and hitting the gas during the shift. But you are correct in that it is definitely more annoying having to shift going uphill.
You are probably right, but I don't see how it would have any practical effect during a downshift, except possibly having to blip the throttle a little less than one would have to blip it without the revhang. I for one do not feel any revhang, to be annoyed at or otherwise, when downshifting. Neither during daily driving nor on track.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I don't think the rev hang is bad, with two notable exceptions. Up to a few minutes after a cold start it's pretty bad, I have to wait a long time to upshift to not jerk the car. And if you're doing a WOT pull, shift gears, go WOT again, then let off. If you go to upshift again to start cruising, it will hang really bad to try and burn off all that fuel it thought you were going to blow through going WOT.

Normal driving is fine otherwise for me. Maybe I just got used to it though.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I really wish Ford wouldā€™ve gone about this kit from a whole different angle.

1) Tune and filter wouldā€™ve been sufficient.

2) The FP open air box adds some flash but they shouldā€™ve just made one that retains the stock MAF & TB.
Agree.

I also would have liked the 91+ octane calibration without the CAI, since I also like the stock airbox. But you can't have everything. I think nobody has any regrets I could see. Some minor issues. It isn't a monster change in power, more in character, since the tune is ultimately pretty mild.

You won't know if you have fitment issues until you try.

You then get to ditch the corny sound tube and the IAT increasing engine cover. Both of mine were long gone in the first week anyway.

Plus you're probably already putting 91 octane in. I was. Now you can actually get the benefit!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
As someone pointed out, the increase of IAT temps really comes from the hood. When it's hot and sunny I'll see my temps climb 30Ā° but at night or when it's cloudy I'm looking at about 10Ā° increase in temps when sitting in traffic. Just got to test it today when I got stuck at a school letting out but it was cloudy and about to storm. IAT temps didn't climb beyond 10Ā° when I was sitting there. It makes sense considering Ford went with the closed top design for the gt500.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I'll mention a couple of things for thought.

I noticed the new filter end is stamped with "DOWN." Why?

down filter.JPG

Anyone also notice the new throttle body has part number KR3E-9F991-AB stamped on the side when the kit states M-9926-M50B?

What's this part number.JPG

MY BULLSHIT OPINIONS BELOW

I've had many cars with 400+hp, but all had throttle cables. Those cars always gave the maximum of what they could at any time. This Mustang feels less lively but would slaughter my old cars, just looking at any timeslip.

Post-install it feels much more responsive. This cannot be because of a minor +5% hp bump. Ford must have made sure the base tune did not give as much torque as was possible at low RPM, and now it gives more.

With the tune it feels more like a throttle-cable operated car. This, of course, should not have cost $1,000. I do like the ProCal as a datalogger and code puller/clearer. It lives in the glove box.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
To me the cars runs like it should have in the first place.
Sponsored