Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Got around to using the Procal this evening to get ready for installation. Didn't go as smooth as it should have.
I updated the Procal device as instructed then took it out to the car to copy the stock tune onto the device and I went in the house. When I plugged the Procal into the PC and opened the Procal software, it immediately started to send the stock cal (*.bin) file to the FP server. A green bar showed progress then I got a message there was a problem reading the file after about 10 seconds and the process ended with an error message before completion. After that it asked me if I wanted to log in. Well duh, maybe if I was asked to log in first before it tried to send the stock cal file there wouldn't have been an error. To get it going again I had to unplug the Procal USB and re-insert it. Then from what I gather was a successful upload of my stock cal file, it immediately downloaded the tune. So on the Procal I have 2 tunes. The original and the FP one. Ok great.
So is it safe to assume my stock cal file got successfully uploaded? I assume they are not going to let you have the tune if FP didn't receive a good stock cal file. There is no way to see your stock cal file on the FP website anywhere, even in your profile. So I have to assume it's safely backed up somewhere other than the Procal device. Looks like I am good to go, but I just wanted to see what others have experienced.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Other than the error at the beginning that's what my process looked like.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Started installing this kit last night. I had removed the engine cover and "sound symposer" last year, so that was a huge time saver. I wanted to play with the FP oil separator to see if I could get it to fit. Almost succeeded but I don't like that I can't use the mounting bracket.
Throttle body connector relative to the FP oil separator bracket. No way they can co-exist in the same space. Can't plug in the connector with the bracket there:
20210405_212000.jpg

So after much frustration I figured out the in/out hoses could be swapped and the connections rotated to relocate the separator toward the valve cover.
20210405_223131.jpg

But... you need to re-install the oil refill tube because the short gooseneck pipe will be in the way of refilling the engine oil. The fit is tight and the separator reservoir sits right up against the engine harness and only has about an 1/8" clearance to the coolant tank. For those wanting to use the engine cover, there would be no easy way to drain the oil separator. I think the connecting tubes also need to be heat molded for a better fit and a bracket made to hold it steady without rubbing against the wire harness. Still thinking about that... so I have put the OEM PCV tube back on until I can play with this some more.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Doesn't it clearly state on their website it isn't compatible with the FP oil separator?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Doesn't it clearly state on their website it isn't compatible with the FP oil separator?
Yes it does and I knew this going in. But it can be made to fit, just not as it was originally designed by Ford. I am going to make it compatible.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yes it does and I knew this going in. But it can be made to fit, just not as it was originally designed by Ford. I am going to make it compatible.
Cool, be interested to see the result.

andrewzander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That statement was a recent addition to the description. Additionally, when the FP CAI/tune kit was released I had asked the FP techline if the separator was compatible with it and was told that it was. Obviously, that was wrong. I also removed the FP oil separator and put the stock hose back on.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I really want to pull the trigger on this kit, but here's my issue.

I can't get a straight answer from anyone regarding the impact of this kit on my powertrain warranty.

I understand that if an ASE or dealer tech installs this kit, the components in the kit will be covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the original in service date, 8/16/18.

I spoke to the service advisor at the dealership where I bought my Mustang brand new, and he said that my powertrain warranty wouldn't be affected if I purchased the kit from them and had them install it.

My experiences with them haven't been exactly favorable.

Can someone please give me some insight on this issue?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

I can't get a straight answer from anyone regarding the impact of this kit on my powertrain warranty.

I understand that if an ASE or dealer tech installs this kit, the components in the kit will be covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the original in service date, 8/16/18.

I spoke to the service advisor at the dealership where I bought my Mustang brand new, and he said that my powertrain warranty wouldn't be affected if I purchased the kit from them and had them install it.

FP warranty covers anything needing warranty work that is deemed caused by the FP parts or tune for the 3/36 from car purchase. Original warranty still covers anything while valid not attributed to FP parts or tune. Example, you need your ac worked on. They didn't find reason to blame the FP tune or parts so original warranty covers it. Same thing if you had a custom e85 tune from elsewhere. But, say something pops, and they do blame the FP parts or tune, then the FP warranty will cover that work where if you had custom tune from elsewhere it could be out of pocket.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
FP warranty covers anything needing warranty work that is deemed caused by the FP parts or tune for the 3/36 from car purchase. Original warranty still covers anything while valid not attributed to FP parts or tune. Example, you need your ac worked on. They didn't find reason to blame the FP tune or parts so original warranty covers it. Same thing if you had a custom e85 tune from elsewhere. But, say something pops, and they do blame the FP parts or tune, then the FP warranty will cover that work where if you had custom tune from elsewhere it could be out of pocket.
Thanks. I'll skip this until my warranty expires.

In the meantime, I'll get another stock airbox, remove the hydrocarbon trap, and put a K&N filter in it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Finished installing the FP kit last night. Drove around for nearly 2 hours today and had a blast with the car! It drives altogether different in a better way. Rev hang is nearly non-existent and throttle response is much better. To shift smoothly, before the tune, I had to do a 2 second pause after pushing in the clutch. No longer have to do that. It's also a little louder and the exhaust tone is deeper. Another thing I noticed was being able to pass in 6th gear with greater ease. Cruising at highway speed I would sometimes lazily stay in 6th gear just pushing my foot down and waiting for the car to speed up. Now, it just does it in half the time and without any laboring. This was running on a tank of 91 octane. I burned through half a tank today and topped off with 94 octane. Really happy with this kit and how it woke up the car.
20210406_221206.jpg

Installation wasn't hard but it was a PITA. The air inlet to the throttle body wouldn't cooperate to install it all the way over the flange. So I am hoping the heat from the engine will loosen it up to allow me to clamp it all the way on. I have about a 1/8" further to push it on even though the bottom edge is completely on.

My other issue was that stupid foam seal on the air box. I played around with that damn thing for far too long to get it where it was supposed to be. Every picture of this kit I have seen has not had the foam installed correctly. It is supposed to seal around the painted metal bracket that protrudes into the air box. You will need to hold the foam back (towards the fender) while putting the top of the box on. Then hold it while you tighten it down. An extra pair of hands would help. The foam could get torn so don't force it beyond it's limits. Most installs leave a gap on the back side of the foam and that allows hot air to get in.

Here is how I did mine. Sealed all around:
20210406_221044.jpg

How NOT to do it:
20210407_132734.jpg

The hard foam backing is on the wrong side of the air box upper half. The hard foam needs to be on the outside of the box.

How it should be:
The hard backing on the foam piece has to be on the outside of the box from front to back. The top part of the air box sits on top of the soft foam edge to create a seal.
20210406_220924.jpg

20210406_220930.jpg

20210406_220903.jpg

Hopefully that saves someone some headaches and lowers some people's IAT's.

I noticed there is a vertical gap in the back of the air box where the two halves meet. Not sure if this is by design to allow some air through? It l looks like an easy place to seal with some adhesive foam and to get some before and after temperature data. A project for a rainy day.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

I wouldn't be to concerned on the warranty side as yours expires in 5 mos. At this point inst
Finished installing the FP Power Pack 2 tune last night. Drove around for nearly 2 hours today and had a blast with the car! It drives altogether different in a better way. Rev hang is nearly non-existent and throttle response is much better. To shift smoothly, before the tune, I had to do a 2 second pause after pushing in the clutch. No longer have to do that. It's also a little louder and the exhaust tone is deeper. Another thing I noticed was being able to pass in 6th gear with greater ease. Cruising at highway speed I would sometimes lazily stay in 6th gear just pushing my foot down and waiting for the car to speed up. Now, it just does it in half the time and without any laboring. This was running on a tank of 91 octane. I burned through half a tank today and topped off with 94 octane. Really happy with this kit and how it woke up the car.
20210406_221206.jpg

Installation wasn't hard but it was a PITA. The air inlet to the throttle body wouldn't cooperate to install it all the way over the flange. So I am hoping the heat from the engine will loosen it up to allow me to clamp it all the way on. I have about a 1/8" further to push it on even though the bottom edge is completely on.

My other issue was that stupid foam seal on the air box. I played around with that damn thing for far too long to get it where it was supposed to be. Every picture of this kit I have seen has not had the foam installed correctly. It is supposed to seal around the painted metal bracket that protrudes into the air box. You will need to hold the foam back (towards the fender) while putting the top of the box on. Then hold it while you tighten it down. An extra pair of hands would help. The foam could get torn so don't force it beyond it's limits. Most installs leave a gap on the back side of the foam and that allows hot air to get in.

Here is how I did mine. Sealed all around:
20210406_221044.jpg

How NOT to do it:
20210407_132734.jpg

The hard foam backing is on the wrong side of the air box upper half. The hard foam needs to be on the outside of the box.

How it should be:
The hard backing on the foam piece has to be on the outside of the box from front to back. The top part of the air box sits on top of the soft foam edge to create a seal.
20210406_220924.jpg

20210406_220930.jpg

20210406_220903.jpg

Hopefully that saves someone some headaches and lowers some people's IAT's.

I noticed there is a vertical gap in the back of the air box where the two halves meet. Not sure if this is by design to allow some air through? It l looks like an easy place to seal with some adhesive foam and to get some before and after temperature data. A project for a rainy day.

PowerPack2? There is only one Powerkit for the 2018+. Nice job though!!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Don't know why I was calling it that. Probably saw too many of the old kits when I was shopping online. Thanks for pointing it out. :thumbsup:
Sponsored