Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
I think many of us have said the same. If you have a daily driver and not going to do additional mods, this is a solid tune. If your lookng at 20hp at peak power, its not worth it. But the 20-40 ft-lbs below 4,000rpm is noticeable and usable everyday. Would think it would be help full on corner exit in HPDE as well. Plus there's the other changes to drive modes. Enjoy yours, i know i do everytime i drive my carđź‘Ť
Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I have had the upgrade now for 2 months on my 20 PP2 and been very happy with it. I don’t daily my car and it’s a manual trans. Still breaking the car in under 1k miles. I would say for me it’s worth 1k and not planning on any other engine mods .

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
DSC_4203.JPG

[/QUOTE]

FP Tech on line did not have an answer for the Flags = 2000 and just said it is ready to be programmed to the car?

Also mentioned for those who want to keep warranty to send invoice to [email protected]

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Anyone know if it's possible to flash the tune to a BULLITT? I'd honestly be interested to see Bullitt tune vs the FP tune.

I know it used to be possible in SCT to save tune files so you could just export stock settings from a Bullitt, and use those as the "tune" for a Stock GT, dyno the tune. then restore it to stock and flash a FP tune for a dyno comparison I'm not sure if that's still possible now.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
So its been 5 days with the install. 2019 GT w/A10/3.55s/28,000 miles. Bought from Levittown Ford and installed myself. I commute 100 miles a day 5-6 days a week, mostly interstate.

Mods:
Ford Borla Catback
Project 6gr 20" staggered wheels w/265 & 305 Nitto G2s
Duckbill spoiler from CJPP

Quick impressions:

- Overall drivability a big improvement from stock (power delivery is linear, consistent now)
- high rpm feels the same power wise (its always pulled hard to redline with stock tune, hard to tell any difference here)
- 2k and up torque is noticeably better. Even easier to spin tires and fishtail pulling out now. I've had to adjust my muscle memory in my foot. I was used to giving about half throttle to get the car up and going. Now its 1/4 or less and your gone.
- idle is smoother
- hwy mpg went up 1-2 (With my commute I can quickly tell any change in mpg)
- cold start is quieter and less dramatic
- I love the new programming for the A10. The aggressive upshifting in normal mode is gone and much more eager to downshift. Sport+ and everything above that is even more aggressive if thats possible.

I agree with most other posters that said the 20 hp or whatever is not worth $1k so if that is what your looking for then you probably won't be happy.

But for me the 20 hp plus all the other improvements to drivability and shifting I feel that it was worth the $1k.

I'll answer anything else about it.
Pete
Everything was going great until I read that. lol

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've read so many reviews on this.........for the money I think I'm going to try 4.09 gears for my '19 6 speed first......I can get those done for @ $700. If that doesn't do it - then I'll bit the bullet. I really want a E85 / Flex tune but not enough E85 around me to do it.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I really want an e85 tune as well since I pass a station with it every day, but I'm in California and not sure if it will pass smog later on. I've heard that even if it's flashed back to stock it still shows up as tampered with.
4.09 gears are really tempting even after the tune in a car with 3.73s

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've read so many reviews on this.........for the money I think I'm going to try 4.09 gears for my '19 6 speed first......I can get those done for @ $700. If that doesn't do it - then I'll bit the bullet. I really want a E85 / Flex tune but not enough E85 around me to do it.
$700 for 4.09s, parts and labor? What planet??? Lol unless you know someone, that's a great deal. I have 4.09s on my 18 Gt 6MT. Total cost was about $1,600-$1700. I also have the power pack. The car feels awesome. Both were worth it.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Another thing the power pack 18+ allows you to change your rear gear to 4.09s. If you dont have the power pack then you will need a tune to change it anyway. So you will spend money on a tune regardless. Well unless you run without a tune but then you are not getting the most out of it, I figure.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
$700 for 4.09s, parts and labor? What planet??? Lol unless you know someone, that's a great deal. I have 4.09s on my 18 Gt 6MT. Total cost was about $1,600-$1700. I also have the power pack. The car feels awesome. Both were worth it.

I can get the Ford Performance Gears + Install Kit for right at $400 shipped.
I would remove the rear end myself and take it to a local shop who does a gear work. He does it for $250 for the Mustang IRS 8.8 if you bring him Ford parts and the pumpkin. I padded $50 for friction modifier and gear oil.

The most labor of the rear end work is removing / installing the pumpkin itself. I've done several. It's actually very straight forward.

I used to do differential work myself. I stopped probably 10 years ago. Aftermarket gears, at least back then - especially steep gears - like to make noise after install. Got sick of complaining from people I was helping out by not charging them an arm and a leg for gear work.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing the power pack 18+ allows you to change your rear gear to 4.09s. If you dont have the power pack then you will need a tune to change it anyway. So you will spend money on a tune regardless. Well unless you run without a tune but then you are not getting the most out of it, I figure.

If you have a 6 speed manual, you DO NOT need to change anything in ECU tune for rear gears.....at least a certain range of change. The wheel speed is registered by the ABS wheel sensors....the ECU doesn't care what the rear gear is.

Automatic - yeah - you need a tune to adjust shifting.

I went 3.15 to 3.55 in my brand new '17 V6 at the time. Speedo everything was DEAD on with no changes. Later, when I swapped in the SYNC 3 system I used FORSCAN to correct rear gear setting. It did nothing. Car was a 6 speed manual - no issues.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you have a 6 speed manual, you DO NOT need to change anything in ECU tune for rear gears.....at least a certain range of change. The wheel speed is registered by the ABS wheel sensors....the ECU doesn't care what the rear gear is.

Automatic - yeah - you need a tune to adjust shifting.

I went 3.15 to 3.55 in my brand new '17 V6 at the time. Speedo everything was DEAD on with no changes. Later, when I swapped in the SYNC 3 system I used FORSCAN to correct rear gear setting. It did nothing. Car was a 6 speed manual - no issues.
You are wrong, unfortunately. 2019 and up added automatic rev matching. Even if you don't use it, the computer will instantly throw a fit if you change the rear gearing and the measured wheel speed no longer matches the internal table for the current selected gear and RPM. Several people have been down this road already. IT DOES NOT WORK. You NEED to tune the car to get around this to update the PCM's tables correctly. Max allowed ratio without a tune according to what I've seen is 3.77. Beyond that the PCM cannot compensate by default.

2018 and prior years are not affected.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You are wrong, unfortunately. 2019 and up added automatic rev matching. Even if you don't use it, the computer will instantly throw a fit if you change the rear gearing and the measured wheel speed no longer matches the internal table for the current selected gear and RPM. Several people have been down this road already. IT DOES NOT WORK. You NEED to tune the car to get around this to update the PCM's tables correctly. Max allowed ratio without a tune according to what I've seen is 3.77. Beyond that the PCM cannot compensate by default.

2018 and prior years are not affected.

Fair enough - I forgot all about the rev matching as I don't use the computer version.

I haven't dug in yet - but I'm wondering if just changing the gearing info via FORSCAN would work? I really don't plan on a tune until I go E85 - and my area isn't there yet.

I'll dig in when I get time.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I can get the Ford Performance Gears + Install Kit for right at $400 shipped.
I would remove the rear end myself and take it to a local shop who does a gear work. He does it for $250 for the Mustang IRS 8.8 if you bring him Ford parts and the pumpkin. I padded $50 for friction modifier and gear oil.

The most labor of the rear end work is removing / installing the pumpkin itself. I've done several. It's actually very straight forward.

I used to do differential work myself. I stopped probably 10 years ago. Aftermarket gears, at least back then - especially steep gears - like to make noise after install. Got sick of complaining from people I was helping out by not charging them an arm and a leg for gear work.
You are right, I did have the option to remove the pumpkin myself and take to the shop, but I have never done that. Next time, if there is a next time, i will go that route. The shop would have still charged me like $900-1,000 total. Still a good deal. Forgot about that.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Do I need to do any of this or does my stock file uploaded to FP which then gave me the performance tune file already compensate for my existing factory set up, does it already know I have 3:15 gears and stock 19" wheels, or I need to go double check in the procal4 after flashing the performance tune to car?
Sponsored