2018 Mustang GT
Ripinaii,

So is this the sequence?:

1) Download FPP software to PC
2) Connect Procal 4 to PC
3) Connect Procal 4 to OBDII port
4) Connect Procal4 to PC for link up and download and original file save
5) Connect Procal 4 back to OBDII port for performance file install

Correct? If so, this is nothing like the instructions supplied with the Procal4.
Yes I know the instructions are not that great for it. Especially like me that has never done a calibration.
Yes just like you said. After downloading software to computer plug in procal. Open the procal app on computer, there is a window (box) for it. Press update in it on computer. Nothing shows on procal tool except the home screen. A serial number and version is included in box on computer. There will be some prompts before that maybe, and then you have to disconnect procal USB and then plug back in computer. When it tells you to do so on computer. If you did this already it is good to go. Then go plug procal to car. Select program and download stock tune. Takes like 40 min. Then it will show finished. Unplug and take back to computer and plug in. Download stock tune. Then press update again in window box, the procal new file should show in window click on that and download. It will show file saved to disk, something like that. Take back to car and plug in, the select program on tool and the procal file. From there it will download. It will show finish on bottom when done. Turn off key for 3 seconds. Then you are good. Hope this makes sense. Dont start car during process only key on. Radio lights should be turned off.
Sponsored

Pandajoshy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the kit in today! Getting it installed by Ford on Friday! What's everybody been paying for installation?

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the kit in today! Getting it installed by Ford on Friday! What's everybody been paying for installation?
I can't imagine paying more than $200, it only took me 2 hours as an amateur mechanic, so anything above that would be a ripoff

Pandajoshy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I hope no more than $200. We'll see this Friday how much they end up charging and I'll let y'all know. I plan on doing an unboxing video of the kit on my YouTube channel. Not trying to spam the thread so if anyone is interested in seeing it, shoot me a message and I'll send you the link. :thumbsup:

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I read on this thread or a different one that ford dealership is charging 5 hours labor for this kit installation.

Sponsored

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I read on this thread or a different one that ford dealership is charging 5 hours labor for this kit installation.
Wtf....what a rip off. The mechanical installation took me maybe 2 hours, and the calibration setup another 40, and that was mostly writing the stock tune to the handheld. I'm sure there are local shops around that modify Mustangs all the time that will charge minimum labor hours since they are familiar with the set up.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Agreed, 5 hours is to much. Software, less than an hour (45 minutes tops, an hour if the tech takes #2 bathroom break).

Hardware about 1.5 - 2.0 hours. If you have an issue add maybe another 30 - 45 minutes. So 3 to 3.5 hours total out the door.

As an aside, I am "thinking" since this is probably a more aggressive mapping, a bump in octane up to about 96 - 98 with a little Boostane Professional may allow the knock sensors to keep advancing the timing until they hear something.

So If this FPP gives 19 hp. and 18 tq., we may be able to realize another 10 hp. or so with more octane. So output could be around 490 (advertised). Amazing for a "little" 300 cubic inch NA motor.

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
Agreed, 5 hours is to much. Software, less than an hour (45 minutes tops, an hour if the tech takes #2 bathroom break).

Hardware about 1.5 - 2.0 hours. If you have an issue add maybe another 30 - 45 minutes. So 3 to 3.5 hours total out the door.

As an aside, I am "thinking" since this is probably a more aggressive mapping, a bump in octane up to about 96 - 98 with a little Boostane Professional may allow the knock sensors to keep advancing the timing until they hear something.

So If this FPP gives 19 hp. and 18 tq., we may be able to realize another 10 hp. or so with more octane. So output could be around 490 (advertised). Amazing for a "little" 300 cubic inch NA motor.
Mine is showing up tomorrow, I'll have to time myself and see where I end up. Granted, I already removed my soundtube, which is probably the worst of it. The rest is looks pretty straightforward.

Doesn't the Procal 4 allow for datalogging? I imagine you could do some tests with and without octane booster to see what the timing is doing.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Wtf....what a rip off. The mechanical installation took me maybe 2 hours, and the calibration setup another 40, and that was mostly writing the stock tune to the handheld. I'm sure there are local shops around that modify Mustangs all the time that will charge minimum labor hours since they are familiar with the set up.
The whole reason people forgo better performance and go with this kit is the warranty factor. So has to be done at dealership or ASE mechanic. That's what people are paying for.

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The whole reason people forgo better performance and go with this kit is the warranty factor. So has to be done at dealership or ASE mechanic. That's what people are paying for.
All I'm advising is to seek an independent shop that won't charge 5 labor hours to do something that takes 2-3 max. I'm lucky enough that my friend owns a shop and printed me an invoice to cover me.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
All I'm advising is to seek an independent shop that won't charge 5 labor hours to do something that takes 2-3 max. I'm lucky enough that my friend owns a shop and printed me an invoice to cover me.
Agree with the labor should be capped at 2-3 max with the tune load time but let's be honest they want to make their money too.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Check out comment #168 in this thread. @geep81 said he was quoted by dealer for 5 hours of install. If any one did dealer install could you tell us how much labor was?

I installed myself. I took my time. I also thought my Procal wasn't working correctly but the instructions for it aren't exact. So found out today it was fine and ran the tune. I say 3 hours time is good, 2 hours is fast.

BTW, the growl from the CAI is great. It added a low tone growl that I didnt have before at lower RPM when you give hard throttle. There isn't a WOW factor with the kit, but it's improved for sure. But, I just finished installing today. So I am sure after driving some more I'll learn it better. I have a manual.

I changed tire size with the Procal too (I have 305s), it asks for revolutions per mile. Lol why not just ask for the tire size. Had to look up on internet.

I am wondering since we can also change rear gears in the tool, would the program adjust the speedometer as well. Down the road I'll be going 3.73 from my current 3.55 probably.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Really a fraction of it since it's 3 years from purchase date of the _car_. If you purchased your 2018 early, you won't even have a year left.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I’d argue that those that live in CA or other states that follow CA emission rules also want a little extra performance without having to worry about fines or up to yearly equipment removals/ECU reflashings for state inspections.

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
Ripinaii,

So is this the sequence?:

1) Download FPP software to PC
2) Connect Procal 4 to PC
3) Connect Procal 4 to OBDII port
4) Connect Procal4 to PC for link up and download and original file save
5) Connect Procal 4 back to OBDII port for performance file install

Correct? If so, this is nothing like the instructions supplied with the Procal4.
That is literally what the instruction sheet says...If you follow each step in the order they are on the instruction sheet, it's exactly what you said.
Instruction 1.JPG
Instruction 2.JPG
Sponsored