Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
My guess was that a possible change is related to the recall fix which would mean only a handful of us would have an updated file, to begin with. My only gripe with the above statement is that the supposed claim is that we're "reflashing the same tune." That's like saying that downloading a new patch, to a game, is "reinstalling the same game files." But it's also probably just CYA or even ignorance if any new file is related to something like a software update for a recall.

I doubt a file name would change just because. It's just unfortunate we're not privy to any changes. I enjoy reading my patch notes...

I agree completely about reading patch notes! This should be very simple. If you offer a product to the public that automatically updates when you plug it in, there should at the very least, be a website listing version & fixes. They don't even have to use the word "recall." They could just say, "Fix related to an enhanced customer support program." I recall Apple doing something similar when they were responding to bad PR due to their sucky iPhone batteries.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd guess the different versions are more related to updates in other modules of the car, or to include a new VIN range or something much more boring than that. If you download a game patch to recognize a new version of your Nvidia driver, does that really change the game?

I'd further assume that the tune isn't really changed all that much because (from what I understand) Ford would need to go through the entire EO process for another exemption, testing, etc... and that's probably not worth it for minor tweaks.
Even those small changes, no matter how boring, would be worth updating to wouldn't it? For the game analogy, any form of stability improvements have their place, even if they may not fundamentally change the game. If I decided to download a 10 year old game and needed a new patch to run it because of outdated shaders or physx that may no longer be supported by modern drivers (Star Wars: Republic Commando, I'm looking at you), I'm still not just reinstalling the same game files.

Boring or no, some of the changes could matter, and telling a customer that there's zero changes, when there's even just minor backend fixes, is a bit misguided. I, for one, would like to know if the new file, uploaded to my procal, has the software patch for the recall applied to it. It would save me a trip to the dealership and dealing with that annoyance. An annoyance that someone's dealership is already trying to slap an extra $195 fee on when it's a freakin' recall fix.

For reference: ford performance wants any FRPP owner to drive to dealership, flash to stock, have the dealer upload the fix, then reflash back to the FRPP tune (insert $195 fee). Also, someone chimed in who spoke to PBD and said PBD wants to redo their tune using the new "fixed" tune as a base. This heavily implies that reflashing to the FRPP tune, if not updated first, would just overwrite the fix. If the software fix was independent of the tune (which is a possibility) why would the tuner need to remake the whole tune? But that's why Ford Performance's statement bugs me so much. There's clearly some changes, or else a file name change wouldn't just happen, no matter how small. Then again, I've nearly gone insane dealing with people who can go months/years without learning or implementing a policy change; so maybe it's just the individual.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I agree completely about reading patch notes! This should be very simple. If you offer a product to the public that automatically updates when you plug it in, there should at the very least, be a website listing version & fixes. They don't even have to use the word "recall." They could just say, "Fix related to an enhanced customer support program." I recall Apple doing something similar when they were responding to bad PR due to their sucky iPhone batteries.
Right? Samsung isn't any better, on that front. They're rolling out a new patch a month, for the S22 series, and all the patch notes are the exact same. Considering every patch breaks something, I'd like to know what changes were made. Sigh... for everything CDPR did wrong with cyberpunk, at least I can spend an entire bathroom visit reading their patch notes.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Even those small changes, no matter how boring, would be worth updating to wouldn't it? For the game analogy, any form of stability improvements have their place, even if they may not fundamentally change the game. If I decided to download a 10 year old game and needed a new patch to run it because of outdated shaders or physx that may no longer be supported by modern drivers (Star Wars: Republic Commando, I'm looking at you), I'm still not just reinstalling the same game files.

Boring or no, some of the changes could matter, and telling a customer that there's zero changes, when there's even just minor backend fixes, is a bit misguided. I, for one, would like to know if the new file, uploaded to my procal, has the software patch for the recall applied to it. It would save me a trip to the dealership and dealing with that annoyance. An annoyance that someone's dealership is already trying to slap an extra $195 fee on when it's a freakin' recall fix.

For reference: ford performance wants any FRPP owner to drive to dealership, flash to stock, have the dealer upload the fix, then reflash back to the FRPP tune (insert $195 fee). Also, someone chimed in who spoke to PBD and said PBD wants to redo their tune using the new "fixed" tune as a base. This heavily implies that reflashing to the FRPP tune, if not updated first, would just overwrite the fix. If the software fix was independent of the tune (which is a possibility) why would the tuner need to remake the whole tune? But that's why Ford Performance's statement bugs me so much. There's clearly some changes, or else a file name change wouldn't just happen, no matter how small. Then again, I've nearly gone insane dealing with people who can go months/years without learning or implementing a policy change; so maybe it's just the individual.
OMG, a Release Engineer! I've worked with enough of you guys to know that even fixing a typo in a previous version demands a new version number. So changing "form" to "from" means an entirely new build, release notes, and at least a smoke-test run. And then it still needs to go through QA but you might be able to avoid full regression testing. :)

Seriously tho, I really doubt that Ford is doing much more than that, and it would 99.99% apply to newer cars. Is it really a change in the tune to say that #00efefff is now a valid value from the BCM for the MyColor options or whatever? Just to stop some "unknown parameter" value from showing up deep in some log that nobody will ever read?

I do see your point, but I still doubt Ford is making structural changes to parameters like timing or fueling. Even changing a shift point would technically change the fuel consumption model and require re-evaluation by the EPA and/or CARB. I can't see them either spending the money to do that or somehow dodging it.

Dr.Patterson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patterson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just got my calibration pack installed, the guy told me that he had to update it after installing it. He said it gave them some trouble. When I asked about updates he told me if there’s ever an update ford will email you. Seems highly unlikely.

Does anyone run a JLT catch can? I’m worried about damaging it since it rests on the throttle body now.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
OMG, a Release Engineer! I've worked with enough of you guys to know that even fixing a typo in a previous version demands a new version number. So changing "form" to "from" means an entirely new build, release notes, and at least a smoke-test run. And then it still needs to go through QA but you might be able to avoid full regression testing. :)

Seriously tho, I really doubt that Ford is doing much more than that, and it would 99.99% apply to newer cars. Is it really a change in the tune to say that #00efefff is now a valid value from the BCM for the MyColor options or whatever? Just to stop some "unknown parameter" value from showing up deep in some log that nobody will ever read?

I do see your point, but I still doubt Ford is making structural changes to parameters like timing or fueling. Even changing a shift point would technically change the fuel consumption model and require re-evaluation by the EPA and/or CARB. I can't see them either spending the money to do that or somehow dodging it.
I agree. I also don't believe any changes made are in regards to the performance of the engine. That's why my maint point revolved around the new recall that's on 19/20 MY m6 cars. I don't think I ever once commented on an update affecting performance. If anyone saw a boost reflashing then it's more likely the KAM reset that had made a tangible impact.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I just got my calibration pack installed, the guy told me that he had to update it after installing it. He said it gave them some trouble. When I asked about updates he told me if there’s ever an update ford will email you. Seems highly unlikely.

Does anyone run a JLT catch can? I’m worried about damaging it since it rests on the throttle body now.
Yea if you are worried just take it off and let the port injector clean the valves for you 😂

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
Little off topic but how was the install of the Bullitt/Mach1 plates? And what are you doing with the green solenoid? Is it possible to work the Bullitt solenoid into the mix?

Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium

I have a JLT catch can. Just swap the lines left to right and let it hang in front of the cylinder head. It's been fine for 5k miles that way.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just logged in with my Procal and Ford Performance it still is showing this file. I updated it and still the same.

1657325158036.png

Last edited:

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
Hi All. I installed the tune about a couple of weeks ago. Made a nice improvement. (200 miles ago) Today I noticed a slight diesel/ping sound under hard acceleration. I can also make it happen by slightly laboring the engine. I always use super, thought possibility a bad batch of gas. I was on the fuel light. Filled it with shell 93 and drove 50 miles home. It's still there.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

tuf50L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order pending
Has anyone managed to get a tune out of Ford Performance for a non-US car? Is there a way?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Has anyone managed to get a tune out of Ford Performance for a non-US car? Is there a way?

No only North America, the tune won't even load.
Sponsored