Ford Performance Track Handling Suspension Package - Advice

TwistedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I'm about to install the FP Track Handling Pack and the only issue I'm having is the bearing / bushing removal. Do I have to swap out the old one or can I just use the one's in the car with this package? Has anyone not replaced it? Can someone shed some light or insight as to the benefits of doing so or if I'm "OK" just going with the performance Toe Links (M-5972-M), and not changing the bearings (M-5A460-M). See below. Thanks in advance.

1643645042410.png
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have to change them, no.

They'll help the car behave more predictably at the limits, but if you're having trouble or don't have the right tools, you could easily leave that part alone.

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
S550 5.0 2.9L Whipple AAD Drag Pak
The FP toe bearing is about 0.020" wider than the stock bearing, so are the mounting ears on the FP Toe links. This 0.020" isnt really an issue. The toe link mounting ears will bend slightly when you tighten the bolts onto the factory bushing so not an issue.

TLDR: It'll work just fine without swapping the bearing

OP
OP

TwistedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the quick replies! Appreciate the help.

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
How did you go with this installation and how does your car handle now?

I'm thinking of getting this exact same kit very soon.

Does it make a massive difference compared to OEM?

Are you happy with it?

Sponsored

OP
OP

TwistedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
How did you go with this installation and how does your car handle now?

I'm thinking of getting this exact same kit very soon.

Does it make a massive difference compared to OEM?

Are you happy with it?
Hey! So.... I installed the whole kit myself; Installation was a bit of a pain (having an extra hand helped tremendously, it can be done alone but I'll get to that in a minute). The front was relatively quick... Keep in mind, the whole thing took a full day of work. If you are doing it alone, the back springs have very little clearance to remove/install (didn't do what the ford manual said b/c it was too much removal of parts). I ended up lowering the subframe as much as possible and lowering the control arm / spring support to were I got the spring out by one person pushing down (hard!) and that gave just enough room (by a hair) to finally get it out. Not as simple as some videos on youtube and other places made it seem. The clearance was just not there... And I removed every bolt possible for it to have full movement... Mainly I was nervous that the subframe would slip out completely / fall off the supports but luckily we got it done w/o any major issues. That was honestly the longest part of the install which took the most work.

To answer my own initial question; The performance Toe Links (M-5972-M) were the same one's which came with the car (same P/N) so I didn't change that nor the bearings (M-5A460-M). - 2021 GT Premium.

I did have to take it to the dealer to get it properly aligned and whatnot; they had to slot the front struts and adjust the rear control arm for the ford performance spec alignment.

I'm very happy with the results, specially the stance it has now... That one inch drop all around really does wonders (it actually looks like it is a lot more than 1") - Perfection. Performance wise, the car handles great (I have not pushed it too hard yet but there is a noticeable difference from before). A bit to my surprise, the ride quality did not change all that much (still very comfortable), I was expecting a huge difference in ride comfort; it feels great! Other than that, compared to OEM, I can't tell you much more since I haven't had the chance to actually take it on a track day or push the limits beyond the factory handling. Just daily driving to work and occasional back roads, etc. Feels more planted, handles a bit better, and overall behaves "better put together / more solid". I wouldn't say a massive difference for what I mainly use it for, but it was worth it nevertheless. Cheers

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm very happy with the results, specially the stance it has now... That one inch drop all around really does wonders (it actually looks like it is a lot more than 1") - Perfection. Performance wise, the car handles great (I have not pushed it too hard yet but there is a noticeable difference from before). A bit to my surprise, the ride quality did not change all that much (still very comfortable), I was expecting a huge difference in ride comfort; it feels great! Other than that, compared to OEM, I can't tell you much more since I haven't had the chance to actually take it on a track day or push the limits beyond the factory handling. Just daily driving to work and occasional back roads, etc. Feels more planted, handles a bit better, and overall behaves "better put together / more solid". I wouldn't say a massive difference for what I mainly use it for, but it was worth it nevertheless. Cheers
Sounds awesome! Thanks for your reflections.

I have a 2017 GT Premium. The handling during spirited, tight cornering isn't very confidence inspiring. Lots of sway and body roll during some recent spirited driving around some twisties! Even though I was keeping up with my two friends in their 997 911s, it took a lot of work.

I'm hoping the FP FR3 Track Handling kit will resolve a lot of that, and be more enjoyable to drive around the tight twisting roads we have here along the coastline. Planning to do some track events too this year, so just getting it setup right beforehand.

So, you find that daily driving around the streets is still quite comfortable and not too harsh?

Would the Steeda IRS subframe brace kit compliment this track handling pack?

What I like about the FP FR3 kit is it's designed to all work together, and Ford really knows the S550 platform.

Last edited:

S550_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
just curious if anyone has thoughts on this set up or is using anything that resembles this. using the shocks and struts from the ford performance pack M-18000-F and combining this with BMR sway bars with adj end links, BMR adj toe links, M 5A460 M toe bearing, and ford jounce bumpers.....just read in other threads that the sway bars without the adjustable end links can cause undue stress. Thanks much for any advice on this

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
DO NOT REMOVE ALL SUBFRAME BOLTS AT ONCE! You run a really good chance of throwing off the frame alignment, which is different from the suspension alignment. Take two bolts of the subframe out on one side, remove the sway bar first it’ll help a lot. Apply pressure to the bucket (I pushed on my rotor) and you can get the spring out.

the track handling package is a night and day difference and that bushing made zero difference to me. I know it’s used for the “extreme” but honestly wasn’t worth the hassle.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Sounds awesome! Thanks for your reflections.

I have a 2017 GT Premium. The handling during spirited, tight cornering isn't very confidence inspiring. Lots of sway and body roll during some recent spirited driving around some twisties! Even though I was keeping up with my two friends in their 997 911s, it took a lot of work.

I'm hoping the FP FR3 Track Handling kit will resolve a lot of that, and be more enjoyable to drive around the tight twisting roads we have here along the coastline. Planning to do some track events too this year, so just getting it setup right beforehand.

So, you find that daily driving around the streets is still quite comfortable and not too harsh?

Would the Steeda IRS subframe brace kit compliment this track handling pack?

What I like about the FP FR3 kit is it's designed to all work together, and Ford really knows the S550 platform.
Definitely install it. Take your time, do it right. Pretty manageable with 1 peeps . Took me a full day. And I swear you’ll never look back, the car immediately sits an inch lower, the camber is more race-oriented and the feel is fantastic. If I would gotten anything first, it would’ve been this and some Michelins. Changed the whole game. The steeda frame kit will only add better stability so it’ll be a nice candy on top with the suspension. I went with the four-point brace in the front and their subframe kit in the back. Worth it. Every penny.

Sponsored

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
DO NOT REMOVE ALL SUBFRAME BOLTS AT ONCE! You run a really good chance of throwing off the frame alignment, which is different from the suspension alignment. Take two bolts of the subframe out on one side, remove the sway bar first it’ll help a lot. Apply pressure to the bucket (I pushed on my rotor) and you can get the spring out.

the track handling package is a night and day difference and that bushing made zero difference to me. I know it’s used for the “extreme” but honestly wasn’t worth the hassle.
Thats assuming that rear cradle is in correct alignment from the factory, which it almost never is. I do agree though, removing all cradle bolts at once is usually not the best plan of action.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Thats assuming that rear cradle is in correct alignment from the factory, which it almost never is. I do agree though, removing all cradle bolts at once is usually not the best plan of action.
Lol that is true. I got lucky. That might be something people want to look into once they’re done installing the suspension.

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Lol that is true. I got lucky. That might be something people want to look into once they’re done installing the suspension.
The S550 is usually the least bad of the three competing brands, on the charger/challengers its like dodge is dropping the the body onto the cradles from a plane, and where ever it lands they bolt it in.

We usually suggest while the cradle is loose to ratchet strap the both sides of the cradle to a known center point on the car and pulling it forward or back and bolting it down, really depends on the cars power

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The steeda frame kit will only add better stability so it’ll be a nice candy on top with the suspension. I went with the four-point brace in the front and their subframe kit in the back. Worth it. Every penny.
Sweet!!! Sounds fantastic! 😎👌🏽

Are you able to share the Steeda part numbers or links to these products I can look at?

Much appreciated!