Sponsored

Ford Performance Street Handling Pack has same sway bars as Base 18 GT

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I paired just the FP Track Shocks/Strut kit with Steeda Minimum Drop Linear Springs and it rides so much nicer than my original base 19+ GT suspension (sway bars still stock, however my trim package did come with a STB and lower K brace)
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 'Street' pack (aka PP1) is a waste of money and is pretty damn lousy, in particular the rears. The Track pack dampers are fine and marry up well with BMR SP083.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto Base Model (light weight baby)
Just wondering if anyone knows the stats for a base auto 2018+ gt for lateral g's and braking 70 - 0 ? All I'm finding is GT's equipped with PP1.
Thanks!

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Base with 18" wheels only does 0.83g skidpad. Not sure on braking.
Thanks Brian! So if I decide one day to do this street handling pack, would it put the car into the 0.9g's area? Or is there a better way to do this... like the Steeda package for non PP1 Base GTs... don't want to sacrifice too much comfort :)

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Tires are the biggest determiner of this. You won't see big improvements in cornering grip with those far-too-skinny and mediocre Pirelli Nero AS tires.

You can do very well with a custom package. The FP Street package is just the PP dampers with lowering springs.
I see... seems like that was the what I got from reading this thread as well... not really worth the money for the FP street package. So better off to get some 19 inch rims with the michelins ? Will that be compatible with the car or do I have to tune the suspension to those wheels? thanks

Sponsored

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to do anything provided you get wheels that fit properly. If you want to maximize the Michelins you'll want to at least look at getting an alignment.

If you're looking to change looks and don't mind a slightly firmer (albeit way more controlled) ride, there are a handful of good options.
Okay... how bout that Strut Tower Brace and Cowl Brace ? that's a cheap upgrade and it looks like it'll help on the twistys :D

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
I decided on the FRPP Struts and shocks W/BMR springs and Eibach front and rear sway bars. It was about $750 total.
I changed to KYB yellow adj W/ new FRPP springs and still kept the Eibach sways Front and Rear but also installed a BMR front brace. Nice combo I also added the FRPP front suspension parts they made a great difference. Any ?s please PM me

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Look on Shelby America on Ebay they pop up for under $100
So a 2020 Base with no PPKG will only hit 0.83g on the 300ft Skidpad? That seems too low ...no? Going around the mountains here, it feels more like 0.93... is there a link on this figure? My wife's sedan is tested @ 0.91g and the Stang seems to handle the corners better ...

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So a 2020 Base with no PPKG will only hit 0.83g on the 300ft Skidpad? That seems too low ...no? Going around the mountains here, it feels more like 0.93... is there a link on this figure? My wife's sedan is tested @ 0.91g and the Stang seems to handle the corners better ...
Tires and surface condition matter a lot and can vary a good bit from tire to tire, place to place, day to day, etc. You really need to have your own datalogging to know what you're getting.

Honestly, I doubt you're pulling more than about 0.7, maybe 0.75 lateral g's. That much runs away and hides from just about every other driver you're likely to encounter.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I changed to KYB yellow adj
Are you sure you don't mean 'Koni'?

KYB is a completely separate company catering more to the OE replacement and mass-market side.

Norm

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
The base hasn't changed any relative to its performance parts, so this is still valid. The base 18" wheels and tires are garbage. The same car with the optional 19" 255/40R19 Neros (same tires!) does 0.90g. The Mustang needs a lot of help to approach 1.0g skidpad. Believe me, I was hugely underwhelmed when I took my originally-base GT to its first autocross, and my outgoing '09 Honda Accord was better in almost every way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15106624/2015-ford-mustang-gt-automatic-test-review/

upload_2020-7-29_7-46-1.png

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The Mustang needs a lot of help to approach 1.0g skidpad.]
well... -2.3 deg front camber, re-71r tires, traction circle well above 1.

doesn’t seem like that much help to me.
B7A6BED6-3E61-4B70-93C3-D7405F9689FE.jpeg

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
well... -2.3 deg front camber, re-71r tires, traction circle well above 1.

doesn’t seem like that much help to me.
B7A6BED6-3E61-4B70-93C3-D7405F9689FE.jpeg
Those are things that many wouldn't choose for their street cars. Also that's not skidpad grip.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The base hasn't changed any relative to its performance parts, so this is still valid. The base 18" wheels and tires are garbage. The same car with the optional 19" 255/40R19 Neros (same tires!) does 0.90g. The Mustang needs a lot of help to approach 1.0g skidpad. Believe me, I was hugely underwhelmed when I took my originally-base GT to its first autocross, and my outgoing '09 Honda Accord was better in almost every way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15106624/2015-ford-mustang-gt-automatic-test-review/

upload_2020-7-29_7-46-1.png
Okay, I've seen this already (thanks for a refresh) but that's for a 2015 6 speed Auto... according to another member, there have been improvements in the +2018 base...

"The 18 base are a good deal better than the 15-17 base. The PP is certainly a significant improvement but it's just not as big as it used to be. The rears are now monotube like the PP. A large portion of what you felt when driving the PP was tires, also."

your thoughts ... true or...?

Yeah ... looks like the tires are thee major factor here :) Optional 19" you have there... that all around or are the rears a different width? thanks!
Sponsored