Ford Performance Street Handling Pack has same sway bars as Base 18 GT

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Per my install shop Ford performance Street pack sway bars exactly the same as Base GT?

Comments??
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The rear bar is slightly thicker at 22.2 mm vs 21.7 mm. The front is the same except it has different bushings and mounting brackets.They are the Performance Pack bars.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The rear bar is slightly thicker at 22.2 mm vs 21.7 mm. The front is the same except it has different bushings and mounting brackets.They are the Performance Pack bars.

Anything else the same?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Anything else the same?
The shocks and struts are the performance pack ones, which are marginal improvements over your base 18 dampers.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The shocks and struts are the performance pack ones, which are marginal improvements over your base 18 dampers.
Since this is supposed to be the same stuff from the pp1...

What you are saying is....the PP1 suspension is only a "marginal" upgrade over the base GT?

I drove a PP1...i thought it was a noticeable difference in handling.

I mostly wanted the 1 inch drop while keeping the warranty in place ....a bit disappointing to hear that the pp1 and base are so close in spec.

Seems almost like a bit of false advertising on Ford's part.

When you look at their springs, they "strongly recommend" the upgraded dampeners. When you look at dampeners they "strongly recommend" the "upgraded" sway bars.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Since this is supposed to be the same stuff from the pp1...

What you are saying is....the PP1 suspension is only a "marginal" upgrade over the base GT?

I drove a PP1...i thought it was a noticeable difference in handling.

I mostly wanted the 1 inch drop while keeping the warranty in place ....a bit disappointing to hear that the pp1 and base are so close in spec.

Seems almost like a bit of false advertising on Ford's part.

When you look at their springs, they "strongly recommend" the upgraded dampeners. When you look at dampeners they "strongly recommend" the "upgraded" sway bars.
The 18 base are a good deal better than the 15-17 base. The PP is certainly a significant improvement but it's just not as big as it used to be. The rears are now monotube like the PP. A large portion of what you felt when driving the PP was tires, also.

Of course FP says they're strongly recommended :crackup:. For the dampers it's definitely a good idea, as your stock ones wouldn't handle higher spring rates well.

Honestly there isn't really anything to worry about with warranty on suspension like engine or transmission stuff, assuming it's installed correctly. You could've gone with aftermarket stuff and kept your bumper to bumper intact, too.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The 18 base are a good deal better than the 15-17 base. The PP is certainly a significant improvement but it's just not as big as it used to be. The rears are now monotube like the PP. A large portion of what you felt when driving the PP was tires, also.

Of course FP says they're strongly recommended :crackup:. For the dampers it's definitely a good idea, as your stock ones wouldn't handle higher spring rates well.

Honestly there isn't really anything to worry about with warranty on suspension like engine or transmission stuff, assuming it's installed correctly. You could've gone with aftermarket stuff and kept your bumper to bumper intact, too.
I am running 305s in rear and 255s in front.

Honestly at $950 it wasn't that much for a "complete pack" to lower it.

A set of Eibach Springs and sway bars runs deep into the $600s, that's without tuned dampeners.

I did not want my ride to be harsh so the ford progressive lowering springs is fine.

"Marginal" improvement is ok I guess... but please don't sell me the exact same part.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
How about the toe links

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
How about the toe links
Those are the same as a base GT ..

You do want the rear lower control arm bearing that Ford Performance recommends .

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
My understanding is the springs are bigger, stiffer, and lower on pp1 (different struts/dampers) in addition to strut bar and k brace. I drove both and found the pp1 to be substantially stiffer with almost zero body roll compared to base suspension 18 GT. The brembo’s made it a no brainer.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is the springs are bigger, stiffer, and lower on pp1 (different struts/dampers) in addition to strut bar and k brace. I drove both and found the pp1 to be substantially stiffer with almost zero body roll compared to base suspension 18 GT. The brembo’s made it a no brainer.
The springs are not that much stiffer, barely at all, 3%, in the front and only 9% in the back. Only rear bar is a small amount stiffer. The dampers are certainly better and will provide the sense of less roll for certain. Tires on the PP make a HUGE difference in both grip and feel.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The springs are not that much stiffer, barely at all, 3%, in the front and only 9% in the back. Only rear bar is a small amount stiffer. The dampers are certainly better and will provide the sense of less roll for certain. Tires on the PP make a HUGE difference in both grip and feel.

And since I was already buying tires way bigger than the PP1...i reasoned the pp1 was a waste of my time. The tires are what make you stop faster as well, not the brakes . The bigger brakes just dissipate heat from rapid repeat braking which you can't replicate on the streets.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
This is why I don't buy aftermarket "packs" from Ford. You are better off and will save money getting something put together from Steeda, BMR or the like. Also, next time do a little researching before you spend money.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Anybody's prepackaged suspension 'kit' is going to be tuned/calibrated to some set of driving preferences. There's always going to be the possibility that it won't match yours.

Norm
Sponsored