Sponsored

Ford Performance selling HPP turbo

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
Well it has been proven that the RS 2.3 is more stout than the Mustang 2.3.
That said, they are both fairly weak.

I'm looking at the 2.5 Duratec right now.
Closed deck. Girdle mains.

Would really like to know if the 2.3EB head will fit. I will have to use the 2.3 crank already.
See post 47, sounds like it is doable.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/#/topics/813631?page=5

From my quick glance at head gaskets for a duratec and ecoboost it definitely isn’t a straight swap. I would personally stick with the 2.0L ecoboost block as it is simple and widely done. There are far more high horsepower ecoboost builds in the focus ST forums than with mustangs. They run different intake manifolds and single scroll turbos but you will learn far more about block strength and overcoming fueling limitations as well as cams over there compared with here.
Sponsored

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
thanks for the insight. I will definitely check it out.

See post 47, sounds like it is doable.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/#/topics/813631?page=5

From my quick glance at head gaskets for a duratec and ecoboost it definitely isn’t a straight swap. I would personally stick with the 2.0L ecoboost block as it is simple and widely done. There are far more high horsepower ecoboost builds in the focus ST forums than with mustangs. They run different intake manifolds and single scroll turbos but you will learn far more about block strength and overcoming fueling limitations as well as cams over there compared with here.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Are you guys talking about the 2.5L Focus Mk2 5 cylinder Duratec ST/RS?

If so, that engine is not closed deck, its open deck. I had one.

In any case it would still be an awesome swap, IMO that engine is better than the 2.3L and it sounds glorious.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
According to Ford the HPP engine has improvements over the RS application:

High-tensile cylinder liners, improved piston rings, and a bespoke cylinder head. A new head gasket handles the increased pressures created by an enlarged turbocharger cramming 22 psi into the intake and reduced 9.37:1 compression ratio.

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, Volvo B5254T3. Fantastic engine, makes such a nice sound especially in Focus RS or RS500 guise.

Its a shame Ford never bought that design from Volvo and modernised it. Can you imagine an Ecoboost Mustang putting out a sound like that ? Would have been the perfect choice for it sound wise.

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
Are you guys talking about the 2.5L Focus Mk2 5 cylinder Duratec ST/RS?

If so, that engine is not closed deck, its open deck. I had one.

In any case it would still be an awesome swap, IMO that engine is better than the 2.3L and it sounds glorious.
No, we were discussing the old naturally aspirated 2.5L duratec 4 cylinder that is port injected. It was found on base model fusions, escapes and transit connects for the last 10 years or so.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just can't wrap my head around what ford was thinking here. Honestly probably 2-4lbs of metal on the side of the block, or why the hell didn't they use the 2.0 block with 2.3 internals and head?
Ford learned not to make a product that can surpass the next step up product.

Imagine dropping 2k in a EcoBoost and blowing the doors off a GT. Sounds great right?

GM learned this lesson years ago with the Grand National. It would smoke a corvette. Hell for 2k you could get in the 10’s in one of those cars. Guess what. That product died because it was to good.

The EcoBoost 2.3 was designed with this lesson in mind. Make it good but not to good.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The EcoBoost 2.3 was designed with this lesson in mind. Make it good but not to good.
Normally i would say thats a crazy conspiracy theory...but it just doesnt make sense that ford used an open deck in their top end turbo 4 platform when they already had a strong semi closed deck in mass production. And then on top of that they would try use this motor in the RS. Effectively creating a situation where buying a turbo and stroker kit for a normal ST was a better power platform than the RS !

It was all just silly and it smells of corporate greed, so yeah I think you're spot on correct here.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I will leave this idea alone as soon as I find a better solution.
Currently the Duratec is the bst option as it will mount to th chassis very easily and although there arent too many transmissions available, there are some.
Also no direct injectionon that motor, so its easier.

Im no sure what the limitations of the 2.0 block are and if there are any rwd transmissions out there?

I will do some research on the 2.0 though.
The 2.0 FoST block is closed deck.

The 2.0 TS (twin scroll) from the Fusion/Escape is semi-closed - similar to the deck of a LS engine.

If you're putting this into a Mustang, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to even contemplate using a Duratec block with the amount of work that would be involved! The 2.0 TS block is a direct bolt in and go affair. And people have made north of 800 hp *reliably* with it. The same goes for the 2.0 ST block. People have made tons of power with it too, but it requires a few small extra steps to make it work for a Mustang (RWD) chassis. I'm telling you. I've built all of the aforementioned engines and put them all in Mustangs. I'm even doing one right now and I wouldn't think of touching a Duratec block, again, because there's going to be a lot of work involved with you have *equal and simpler* options available, in the 2.0 TS & ST blocks.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 TS (twin scroll) from the Fusion/Escape is semi-closed - similar to the deck of a LS engine.
so FB5Z-6010-A (a mere $700) would solve the engine cracking problem for those attempting high boost?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
so FB5Z-6010-A (a mere $700) would solve the engine cracking problem for those attempting high boost?
FB5Z-6010-B is the newly revised part number. Ford made some minor changes to the deck. But yes, you won't have any worries with this engine block and it will take plenty of power and abuse.

Also, it's around $550 + shipping for the -B (newest) revision, so my last order was something like $630 shipped. A small price for peace of mind.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
I was talking about the latest version of the 2.5 I4. The engine that was used in the Fusion and a million other applications. That engine is a closed deck, single piece main girdle engine.
The later 2.0 was/is a semi closed deck.
The Mustang 2.3 is an open deck engine with a very thin block material at the bottom of the water jacket.

The combination that I'm going to end up going is:
2.5 Duratec block
2.3 Ecoboost crank
2.0 Ecoboost rods
Custom 89mm piston (to accept the EB wrist pin)

This combination has already been proven to 800 hp.

I just need to figure out if I want to use a cast manifold for longetivety or an equal length stainless for better flow. Probably a cast one as I would rather have it one and done.

I'm searching now what to do about a transmission...

The 2.0 FoST block is closed deck.

If you're putting this into a Mustang, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to even contemplate using a Duratec block with the amount of work that would be involved! The 2.0 TS block is a direct bolt in and go affair. And people have made north of 800 hp *reliably* with it. The same goes for the 2.0 ST block. People have made tons of power with it too, but it requires a few small extra steps to make it work for a Mustang (RWD) chassis. I'm telling you. I've built all of the aforementioned engines and put them all in Mustangs. I'm even doing one right now and I wouldn't think of touching a Duratec block, again, because there's going to be a lot of work involved with you have *equal and simpler* options available, in the 2.0 TS & ST blocks.
Sponsored