Sponsored

Ford Performance selling HPP turbo

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The HPP is going to be formidable for street driving since its not going to be struggling fighting the rear end as much
form context I assume you're comparing against the 5.0. How does the EB/HPP have a "getting the power down" advantage over the 5.0 when the the two engines make almost identical torque between 2-3K rpm? Not to mention traction is not just a simple derivative of torque. Pulse width, period and intensity matter.
Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
form context I assume you're comparing against the 5.0. How does the EB/HPP have a "getting the power down" advantage over the 5.0 when the the two engines make almost identical torque between 2-3K rpm? Not to mention traction is not just a simple derivative of torque. Pulse width, period and intensity matter.
Thats a good question, and yes Im well aware of the calculus behind the torque/power since thats what i do for a living (vehicle drivetrain simulations).

Well for one, I havent driven the HPP but I have experienced a tuned ecoboost and GT and i have looked at the power curves. As much as the peak torque numbers of a tuned ecoboost on a stock turbo and stock GT may seem similar i think the GT actually is making more torque a little later and the drop off isnt as aggressive. If you think about cornering and road racing think about the RPMs that you are likely to be powering out of a corner with, its likely a lot will be in the 4k+ RPM region where the coyote is still going to be pulling strong. Pair that with its sharper N/A throttle response and nose heavy weight distribution and that results in it being a bit more unstable in that kind of situation.

There are other factors at play too, such as the different gearing the platforms have in the transmission and the differentials as well as the manner of torque delivery ( pulse and intensity like you say...but thats harder to claim makes the main difference but it does add up).
I have a suspicion myself that different loading of grip on the front and rear tyres due to the weight difference and different tyre and suspension tuning spec play a part too, if youve ever driven a GT in the rain youd know that it gets quite hairy and you wouldn't think there would be a big difference between the two cars but in reality there is.

In any case, im not going to claim a normal tuned ecoboost PP will outperform a GT on average, its just that in a few certain cases suited to it (like tight twisty tracks or road surfaces), it can.
Now based on that im making the assumption that the HPP will have a suspension and tyre setup that will play to the inherent physical advantages the ecoboost platform already has, hence why i think it should be noticeably better at using its power, if Fords engineers are competent at all they really should be able to do this.
If this is the case, you can bet than a Mustang GT using the V6 ecoboost will be superior to the current GT in almost every aspect since it will have more power than a GT and the weight balance of the lighter Ecoboost cars.