ford performance oil filter does not fit mach 1

bateto_007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1
I changed the engine oil yesterday. I wanted to install a ford performance filter but it didn't fit. The rubber seal and thread will fit, but the filter body is a large diameter. It relies on the generator.
Sponsored

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I unfortunately ran into the same problem, but had a standard filter as a backup.

OP
OP

bateto_007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1
I hat "fram" filter for backup

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Unless you're tracking the car its a waste to get the FP filter anyway, it's just some extra internal media and a bit thicker housing to prevent it from getting dented from debris. I don't get why people seem to insist they need the FP filter.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Unless you're tracking the car its a waste to get the FP filter anyway, it's just some extra internal media and a bit thicker housing to prevent it from getting dented from debris. I don't get why people seem to insist they need the FP filter.
No one "needs" it but I did see the specs on it one time and it is a better filter than the 500S. Filters smaller particles and has much more filter media surface area. For a few bucks more, meh

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
No one "needs" it but I did see the specs on it one time and it is a better filter than the 500S. Filters smaller particles and has much more filter media surface area. For a few bucks more, meh
Unless I’m out of my mind, it’s also an increased capacity?

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Unless I’m out of my mind, it’s also an increased capacity?
Yes probably a few ounces of oil, I'd only consider the increased capacity of the finer filter media the real upgrade though.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Yes probably a few ounces of oil, I'd only consider the increased capacity of the finer filter media the real upgrade though.
Yeah, I’m with you on that. Definitely worth it for me!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
When people are doing 500K miles daily driving on the motorcraft filters, there isn't need for filtering smaller stuff other than spending the money for it. Most people here wont even keep their car long enough to see 150+K let alone 200 or 300K. Ever 2-3 oil changes that price difference is a free filter.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
When people are doing 500K miles daily driving on the motorcraft filters, there isn't need for filtering smaller stuff other than spending the money for it. Most people here wont even keep their car long enough to see 150+K let alone 200 or 300K. Ever 2-3 oil changes that price difference is a free filter.
I wish you could see how ridiculous this sounds… That’s like saying you don’t need car seats cause when you were a kid your dads arm was your seatbelt.

Just because it has worked doesn’t mean it will for everyone. Enjoy your free filter every third change, I’ll spend a couple extra bucks to provide better protection.

Sponsored

STHENRY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
I wish you could see how ridiculous this sounds… That’s like saying you don’t need car seats cause when you were a kid your dads arm was your seatbelt.

Just because it has worked doesn’t mean it will for everyone. Enjoy your free filter every third change, I’ll spend a couple extra bucks to provide better protection.
If I read this correctly the FP filter does not fit correctly. What are you using?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
What's wrong with the FL-500S filter? Mine fit perfectly fine and the car hasn't blown up.

Last edited:

Blue Flame Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 GT 401A Mischievous Purple
I'd be careful with FP filters. The gasket on them seems harder than standard ones which commonly seems to cause leaks. I've seen them just randomly let loose all their oil with no warning. I stopped running them on my raptor for this reason. Maybe they were only intended for actual racing applications/very frequent changes.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
I’ve never done my own maintenance on a car but am willing to start doing it on my M1 — with moderation. With the help of some YouTube videos, an oil change seems to be up my alley. But the replacing of the filter got me scared. Can I skip that part? Or is replacing the filter mandatory/necessary for each oil change??

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
is replacing the filter mandatory/necessary for each oil change??
I'm betting you're going to get a bunch of different opinions on this one. I've done my own oil changes for decades -- very simple -- and never had an issue with a faulty filter. Research the brand and style ( that's why I use exclusively Motorcraft and not Frame orange filters). Research those FP filters and see how many folks are complaining. If you're doing anything but serious tracking or drag racing, I'd guess your stock 500S will do. If you're *really* curious, invest in a tool to cut open your filter after an oil change and learn how to read what you see (if anyone has a suggestion on which cutter to buy, I'd like to know!)
Think about it: as cheap as an oil filter is (esp. compared to an engine), why not change it at every oil change, just in case? That's one thing I prefer not to cheap out on.
Sponsored