Ford Performance High Performance Camshafts

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone had put these on their car and had a review as far as what to expect sound and performance wise.
Sponsored

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
apparently no one has...

OP
OP
kiszl

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
You are a God send jrock, thank you man.

Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Curious for your impressions. You can see the extra duration quite clearly in a few of those pics!

mh6073

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 1st/2nd prod blend ecboost pp
Curious for your impressions. You can see the extra duration quite clearly in a few of those pics!
To be honest these are/were not performance cams.... I would say at best they are "Driveability" Cams.. I have yet to get to the dyno tuner to adjust the power band and get rid of some of the timing retard, but I would say the "BUTT" dyno seems to think maybe 5 to 10 peak at MAX, and 20 or 30 hp across the entire curve, shifting the power band right probably 1000 rpm. Car is calculating/estimating crank torque to be between 510-519 vs 515-522 before. No dead spot in power after 5500 anymore, dead spot seems to be right around 6500-6600 (It takes a little getting used to due to the fact I have short-shifted the car its entire life right around 5500-5800, due to the massive fall off of torque and power after. It really does pull and spool way better all the way through. It seems to completely remove the engine as a choke point for air/exhaust flow and throws it completely on the turbo/exhaust's doorstep I imagine the fatter the turbo you get the more you will benefit from cams bigger than this (these are very moderate difference from the stock cams), feels like the car should have came this way from Ford, especially with the stock turbo. I would say it felt like it did before, with my 6' 6" 340lb mechanic, son in his car seat, and about 70 pounds of stuff in the trunk during the first time it was beaten on after 500 miles breakin with the new cams. I will update, with some real data soon...

Last edited:

mh6073

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone had put these on their car and had a review as far as what to expect sound and performance wise.
Refer to the post above... idle is a little varied and rough until the car learned to deal with it (about 30 mileish) No super huge lope, but its there.

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
This is an honest and good review. I must admit, after this review, I'm sold on changing the cams out in the future on my car if I get the opportunity. It's only $200 and you get a better power curve. They really help the top end. This shows that Ford was really trying to make the 2.3L have more low end torque (small truck engines?) They went all out if the twin scroll turbo and a cam profile that favors low end torque.

I wonder if the new HPP mustang has these cams from the factory?

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I wonder if the new HPP mustang has these cams from the factory?
They sound a little different at idle, but that might be the exhaust. Honestly, I think an HPP sounds like one of these at idle.

Mazda-prototype-lites.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So the older thread hyperlink to the EB Ford Performance cams, why are so many saying those cams for an EB were a waste of money and had no gains at all?

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the factory cam specs for the S550 EB from 2015-current?

———

@mh6073
Thanks for your thorough review and the tech images! Does the car need any tuning after installing the Ford Performance cams - or are those designed as “plug-n-play”?

mh6073

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the older thread hyperlink to the EB Ford Performance cams, why are so many saying those cams for an EB were a waste of money and had no gains at all?

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the factory cam specs for the S550 EB from 2015-current?

———

@mh6073
Thanks for your thorough review and the tech images! Does the car need any tuning after installing the Ford Performance cams - or are those designed as “plug-n-play”?
  • Intake cam lift increased from 7.9mm to 9.0 mm and duration increased 4 degrees to 240 degrees (total degrees)
  • Exhaust cam lift increased from 7.4mm to 7.8mm and duration increased 16 degrees to 240 degrees (total degrees)
So Im guessing stock is 236/224 vs 240/240 degrees

Like I said they feel like they improved driveability, definitely not big power cams. I feel like the exhaust duration increase really just helps with the baked in restriction of the integrated manifold. Most of the research I have done seems to point to that.(offered upgraded cams on stock heads typically focus on duration differences on exhaust side to make up for manfold restriction/inefficiency) Peak gains will most likely be measure vary close to margin of error if I had to guess prob 5 to 10 max. The difference I can feel is the how the car feels from 2000 rpm into the 6000's. It does subjectively feel better, faster spooling, and less labored at high boost. So yes I imagine if the peak power figure is how these are defined as "worth it" that you could say it doesn't make a large noticeable difference, but over the entire power band it does feel better and feels like the power builds quicker and doesn't fall straight off a cliff in the 5000's but has rounded out the curve quite a bit. My protuner's booked until at least June 28th so until it actually gets retuned to decrease some of the timing retard, I can only say how it feels to me without any hard data to back it up.

The car is still running a MAperformance custom tune that is no longer offered, I didn't have to replace anything we just did a visual inspection of the tappets, journals, springs, and valves no noticeable wear was found so sent the head through the parts washer, new head gasket, and put it back together. If the car is already tuned like mine was, your looking at weird to uneven idle for 30 to 40 miles maybe less then the ecu picks up on it and runs fine. Pretty much anything of 1000/1250 feels fine to begin with anyway. Until it is tuned with them you may occasionally pick up a miss fire code due to the computer reading the duration and lobe separation difference as a miss fire. Can happen on cold start or when blipping the throttle. Code never gets stored and isn't apparent after 2/3 key cycles etc.

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
To be honest these are/were not performance cams.... I would say at best they are "Driveability" Cams.. I have yet to get to the dyno tuner to adjust the power band and get rid of some of the timing retard, but I would say the "BUTT" dyno seems to think maybe 5 to 10 peak at MAX, and 20 or 30 hp across the entire curve, shifting the power band right probably 1000 rpm. Car is calculating/estimating crank torque to be between 510-519 vs 515-522 before. No dead spot in power after 5500 anymore, dead spot seems to be right around 6500-6600 (It takes a little getting used to due to the fact I have short-shifted the car its entire life right around 5500-5800, due to the massive fall off of torque and power after. It really does pull and spool way better all the way through. It seems to completely remove the engine as a choke point for air/exhaust flow and throws it completely on the turbo/exhaust's doorstep I imagine the fatter the turbo you get the more you will benefit from cams bigger than this (these are very moderate difference from the stock cams), feels like the car should have came this way from Ford, especially with the stock turbo. I would say it felt like it did before, with my 6' 6" 340lb mechanic, son in his car seat, and about 70 pounds of stuff in the trunk during the first time it was beaten on after 500 miles breakin with the new cams. I will update, with some real data soon...
Curious, could this be done with the HPP?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Those cam lobes are still _way_ too pointy. Give me the rounded-top version & I'm interested.
Sponsored