Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Does anyone know or think if Ford will release a catted or catless downpipe for the EcoBoost Mustang? I know the ProCal tune is a pipe dream, just wondering if anyone had any inside info.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I doubt that'll happen. There's plenty of good catted options on the market though. I'd imagine the dealerships would give you less flack for a catted vs a catless downpipe.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Ford is really unlikely to do that I think.

I'll be going with a catted eventually, likely from CP-e since I have used their products before and was very happy with it. I personally can't stand the way cars sound without the cat on it and the high flow stuff isn't really that much restriction.

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
Adam made 425/425 with stock DP and stock Exh. (big turbo) I'm not so sure the stock stuff is all that bad

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Adam made 425/425 with stock DP and stock Exh. (big turbo) I'm not so sure the stock stuff is all that bad
It's not, it's actually tuned reasonably well for the stock turbo. The power gains are quite small compared to the investment cost and labor cost (if your one of "those guys" who pay someone else ;)).

In the Focus ST for example, LMS advertised only a 7-12hp gain from a catted down pipe in the youtube video review for example, while their tune produced over 100 ft-lbs and 22 hp more in the 2.0L...for the same price...

If you looking to set records or race, it may be worth it as times down to 1mS are factored in. However for a DD, street fun and leisure drag strip / track / back roads I think you would be better off investing in an oil cooler, better suspension components, tires etc.

Depending on what modifications you have done, an inter cooler will buy you the most performance and consistency as a bolt on and allow you to take full advantage of a well written PCM software (tune) for the same price as a down pipe.

BTW those are impressive numbers on a stock car, but that engine won't last as a daily driver. The power limits of the stock EB are AROUND 425 ft-lbs and 350 hp according to LMS without affecting longer term reliability. ONce you start to exceed those or even run at those power levels on stock internals your going to see failures sooner rather than later. Now it could run 20k, 30k or 50k, but I wouldn't expect 150k~200k service life most DD's see.

Sponsored

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
It's not, it's actually tuned reasonably well for the stock turbo. The power gains are quite small compared to the investment cost and labor cost (if your one of "those guys" who pay someone else ;)).

In the Focus ST for example, LMS advertised only a 7-12hp gain from a catted down pipe in the youtube video review for example, while their tune produced over 100 ft-lbs and 22 hp more in the 2.0L...for the same price...

If you looking to set records or race, it may be worth it as times down to 1mS are factored in. However for a DD, street fun and leisure drag strip / track / back roads I think you would be better off investing in an oil cooler, better suspension components, tires etc.

Depending on what modifications you have done, an inter cooler will buy you the most performance and consistency as a bolt on and allow you to take full advantage of a well written PCM software (tune) for the same price as a down pipe.

BTW those are impressive numbers on a stock car, but that engine won't last as a daily driver. The power limits of the stock EB are AROUND 425 ft-lbs and 350 hp according to LMS without affecting longer term reliability. ONce you start to exceed those or even run at those power levels on stock internals your going to see failures sooner rather than later. Now it could run 20k, 30k or 50k, but I wouldn't expect 150k~200k service life most DD's see.
Dam dude you're a long winded It's amazing how many times can you throw LMS name out there.

Last edited:

NothernVAMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT white

Your funny!! An aftermarket downpipe is proven to give better performance and for $500-600 it makes the exhaust sound a lot better!

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Better performance yes, but at what cost and by that I mean $$$$ 500-600 plus install for those of us who don't have a garage and knowledge. For us old farts with families loud exhaust is overrated. But to each their own.

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
We have not heard anything about Ford Performance offering a DP. We carry many other brands on our site though for off-road and catted DPs. We are currently running 15% OFF our Brand EcoBoost parts!

FlyinHawaiian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Ruby Red
I have a map catted downpipe for $400 plus shipping ($40-50) if anyone is interested.
Sponsored