Ford Performance Calibration w/ CAI or box tune with JLT or Roush CAI

GmoneyDD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gmoney
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
I’ve read all the posts about the 18+ Performance Pack Calibration kit and reviews are mixed. Looking for opinions on that kit vs. a JLT or Roush CAI and a VMP Rev X tune by SCT or similar box tune set-up. Price points are about the same and the FP warranty is a bonus. Overall I’m looking for a bit more HP and TQ, but more importantly some refinement with throttle response and performance. Thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You won't gain much if anything with a canned SCT tune over the FP tune.

Also, throttle responsiveness is a click away in the center console. Switch to Sport+ and you'll get all the throttle tuning you want.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
You won't gain much if anything with a canned SCT tune over the FP tune.

Also, throttle responsiveness is a click away in the center console. Switch to Sport+ and you'll get all the throttle tuning you want.
This.

The SCT device is just the vessel to use to load a tune from a reputable tuner, not meant to use the canned tune on the device.

If you have an 18+ and have access to e85 skip the cai, add a drop on filter and tune for e. Best bang for your buck and you avoid the higher iats from an open intake.

OP
OP
GmoneyDD

GmoneyDD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gmoney
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
This is what happens when I use big words and act like I have any idea what I'm talking about...because I don't!!! I guess what I'm attempting to compare is the FP kit vs. a Roush or JLT CAI and handheld tuner with custom tune. Believe it or not there are a couple performance shops in VT. One is suggesting a custom dyno tune, but the other is suggesting (based on my build - currently stock with a Borla ATAK catback) a JLT or Roush CAI and a handheld tuner w/ custom tune. It was suggested by the latter that with a custom dyno tune you don't have the ability to go back to stock without going back to the shop, as you have no physical device.

The shop recommending the handheld said he can certainly do a custom dyno tune, but suggested a CAI and SCT Rev-X tuner with a custom VMP tune. https://www.americanmuscle.com/vmp-revxtuner-by-sct-w-1-custom-tunes-18-gt.html

The warranty is something I've thought about, but the original warranty ends in September (and she doesn't come out of storage until late April). The FP kit appeals because it's designed by Ford, but the confirmed dyno #'s I've seen are lower than advertised and the Roush/JLT CAI and REV-X all get great reviews.

As far a fuel is concerned, 91 is about the highest you can get. e85 is not available.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
This is what happens when I use big words and act like I have any idea what I'm talking about...because I don't!!! I guess what I'm attempting to compare is the FP kit vs. a Roush or JLT CAI and handheld tuner with custom tune. Believe it or not there are a couple performance shops in VT. One is suggesting a custom dyno tune, but the other is suggesting (based on my build - currently stock with a Borla ATAK catback) a JLT or Roush CAI and a handheld tuner w/ custom tune. It was suggested by the latter that with a custom dyno tune you don't have the ability to go back to stock without going back to the shop, as you have no physical device.

The shop recommending the handheld said he can certainly do a custom dyno tune, but suggested a CAI and SCT Rev-X tuner with a custom VMP tune. https://www.americanmuscle.com/vmp-revxtuner-by-sct-w-1-custom-tunes-18-gt.html

The warranty is something I've thought about, but the original warranty ends in September (and she doesn't come out of storage until late April). The FP kit appeals because it's designed by Ford, but the confirmed dyno #'s I've seen are lower than advertised and the Roush/JLT CAI and REV-X all get great reviews.

As far a fuel is concerned, 91 is about the highest you can get. e85 is not available.
Without switching fuel on 18+ you're not going to gain much with a tune unless you add long tubes to the equation. That would definitely merit a power increase. I would still say skip the cai unless you're going with a closed box design to keep iats down. But not much to be had with the cai unless going more for looks.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

My gas stations local don’t offer 91

It’s e85 or 87/89/93

The stations I use only have two options

87 and 93 lol

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
My gas stations local don’t offer 91

It’s e85 or 87/89/93

The stations I use only have two options

87 and 93 lol
It's per area. 93 is better than 91. My area has 93 everywhere but 2 hours west and I struggle to find 91.

More to the point... no intake or throttle body will get you a whole lot. The gen 3 is pretty nice out of the gate and is held back more by octane (hence the e85 recommendation). However, the stock tune is also a bit conservative because it has to be knock sensitive for people to run 87 in the tank. So a tune + whatever hardware (I have the frpp tune personally) does make a difference. The parts are nice but it's more the tune that's giving you the bump.

When I was stock I exclusively ran 93 (still do) but had moments (more than no) where the car just fell on its face. Any knock detection and the stock tune just neuters everything and can take a while to recover. The FRPP tune made it so the "good days" of the stock tune were all the time. It wasn't a big power jump over stock at its best, but I like not having the inconsistencies.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
A 2019 car has 5 years/60,000 miles of powertrain warranty most likely ending in 2023 if you got it in 2018. That's still 2+ years of warranty that you would be giving up by doing a non FP tune which might gain you a few extra hp on 91.

In your original post, you mention refinement...which is definitely where the FP tune shines at. The others are hit or miss, even with the well known tuners. Not that they don't drive good, but non really drive like a stock OEM tuen which the FP has given it's connection with Ford. I personally wouldn't go to any local dyno tuner unless they are known for specifically tuning Coyote/Mod motors and I don't know of any in New England besides Dez Racing or Performance Dyno.

OP
OP
GmoneyDD

GmoneyDD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gmoney
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
A 2019 car has 5 years/60,000 miles of powertrain warranty most likely ending in 2023 if you got it in 2018. That's still 2+ years of warranty that you would be giving up by doing a non FP tune which might gain you a few extra hp on 91.

In your original post, you mention refinement...which is definitely where the FP tune shines at. The others are hit or miss, even with the well known tuners. Not that they don't drive good, but non really drive like a stock OEM tuen which the FP has given it's connection with Ford. I personally wouldn't go to any local dyno tuner unless they are known for specifically tuning Coyote/Mod motors and I don't know of any in New England besides Dez Racing or Performance Dyno.
The FP kits is a lot of $ - just concerned it’s not the best bang for the buck comparatively.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The FP kits is a lot of $ - just concerned it’s not the best bang for the buck comparatively.
How much is a tune from Lund/PBD/AED plus the device itself? I figure around 700 or so which is only a 250 less than the FP tune for an extra 2+ years of warranty. If you pop one small part that gets covered by warranty in the next couple years, that will easily pay for the difference.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Without switching fuel on 18+ you're not going to gain much with a tune unless you add long tubes to the equation. That would definitely merit a power increase. I would still say skip the cai unless you're going with a closed box design to keep iats down. But not much to be had with the cai unless going more for looks.
This right here. I honestly just want to add 4.09 gears in my '19 Gt 6 speed. But because of rev-matching and changes with 19+ - it's not a straight swap like older S550. So I need to change the gear ratio in the tune. I do not want to add a "cold air" intake and tune, I want to wait until E85 is more readily available in my area.

Turns out, unless I can get a local tuner to change the max gear ratio in the tune, the only solution is for me to buy the HP Tuners device + credits / VCM editor and do it myself. That's the way I'm leaning. @ $700 for the gear swap (me pulling the rear and taking it to a guy with new FP gears and install kit) then another $350 for HPTuners. Benefit is, I can use the HPTuner device later when I go E85 and just pay for the tune file.

OP
OP
GmoneyDD

GmoneyDD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gmoney
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Ended up pulling the trigger on the FP calibration kit from the good folks at Levittown Ford!

doph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Z28, 2019 GT PP1 w/ MT6, MR
Ended up pulling the trigger on the FP calibration kit from the good folks at Levittown Ford!
You'll be happy you did. What Dfeeds said - snappier and more consistent throttle response everywhere. The same sweet pull at high RPMs as before, but noticeably better low and mid-RPM torque.

greymusky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I’m interested in the Ford performance pack aswell! Did the dealer have the parts on hand and install it or did you have them in bring it in?
Sponsored