Sponsored

Ford performance calibration but use the stock airbox?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You've tried to discredit my research and called me "naive" twice now.
I've owned mustangs since the 80's. I've built every one of them. Turbocharged, Supercharged, etc. I litterally can't be naive. I've researched this and gotten answers from both Ford and my coverage company.
You're being ignorant at this point.

SELECT FORD PERFORMANCE PARTS LIMITED WARRANTY Rev. February 14, 2021 Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48025, provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Parts and as described herein when installed on late model Ford vehicles. This warranty works in conjunction with -- and does not void -- the Manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It is valid for the original retail purchaser of the vehicle and is transferable to subsequent vehicle owners.

Let me quote this again:
Ford Motor Company, provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Parts

THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY PROVIDES THE WARRANTY. Thats all that needs to be said.
source: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf

Its 100% covered by an aftermarket, extended warranty from a 3rd party since Ford deemed it as not voiding the original warranty.

Anyways, I found my answer about the stock intake box and this new throttle body elbow.
The best option is to buy a GT500 lid or make a lexan cover and be done with it.
Can't wait for it to arrive.
These shift points need help. Hopefully it drives a little more sporty with this kit.
I'll find out soon.
🤔

I mean, I'm not gonna tell you that you're right or wrong, since it entirely depends on the aftermarket company. But I also know from experience that aftermarket companies love using any loophole they can to not pay out. Sure, the FP parts warranty doesn't void the original warranty, but the whole reason it runs concurrently is because it covers the involved parts and not the rest of the vehicle. What do you think happens when that concurrent coverage ends? If Ford wouldn't pay for it under powertrain (5yr/60k) or its own extended ESP plans, then why would the aftermarket company? I'd definitely check what their policy is regarding modifications. If they don't end up sending out an adjuster to inspect the vehicle and ask what the dealer thinks caused the failure then obviously there would be no issue paying out, but for major expenses (like an engine), they almost always do. Just because Ford makes this doesn't mean it's not a modification, so it should fall under those rules.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I can't believe this dumb ass thread got so many replies on a Friday night. Damn we all must have been bored. 🤣

Good news is the coyote is a stout engine so chances are OP won't need the warranty anyway.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I can't believe this dumb ass thread got so many replies on a Friday night. Damn we all must have been bored. 🤣

Good news is the coyote is a stout engine so chances are OP won't need the warranty anyway.
Friday night fun! 🤣

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Anyways, I found my answer about the stock intake box and this new throttle body elbow.
The best option is to buy a GT500 lid or make a lexan cover and be done with it.
Can't wait for it to arrive.
These shift points need help. Hopefully it drives a little more sporty with this kit.
I'll find out soon.
The GT500 lid does not fit flush with lower box from the 2018 and up Power Pack. You will have some gaps unless you buy the GT500 lower box. You can reuse all the hardware from the FPP kit, you just need the upper and lower box.

OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
The GT500 lid does not fit flush with lower box from the 2018 and up Power Pack. You will have some gaps unless you buy the GT500 lower box. You can reuse all the hardware from the FPP kit, you just need the upper and lower box.
That's what I thought but pictures were posted showing it fitting. Is that for 17 and older?
Thanks

Sponsored

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
That's what I thought but pictures were posted showing it fitting. Is that for 17 and older?
Thanks
I'm assuming the gt500 box is based off the gt350 and the FPP kit is based off the Bullitt. What I can say for certain is, I test fitted the gt500 lid to the FPP box and the shapes are different.

FWIW I only saw like 1 degree drop in temps by switching to the gt500 box.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
It's not like your adding forced induction to your motor. Just increasing the airflow capacity and fuel flow rate and more than likely a timing change. This is why premium fuel becomes your only option. Besides, unless you're trying to extract every last bit of power out of the engine, say trying for a personal lap record at your favorite track, your mostly going to be using the additional torque that is made available at lower RPM's anyway.

OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
It's not like your adding forced induction to your motor. Just increasing the airflow capacity and fuel flow rate and more than likely a timing change. This is why premium fuel becomes your only option. Besides, unless you're trying to extract every last bit of power out of the engine, say trying for a personal lap record at your favorite track, your mostly going to be using the additional torque that is made available at lower RPM's anyway.
Don't forget a new TCM tune and active exhaust map.

Likeit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MICHAEL
Vehicle(s)
2021 _ S550
I just ordered the ford performance calibration kit that comes with gt350 style open top airbox. I definitely don't like that design.
I read the whole thread about adding a gt500 airbox with this kit.
But what about using the stock 2021 gt airbox with a k&n style filter? Is that possible? I really like that design.
I did a fry air filter [AEF] drop in, in the OEM box.

Likeit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MICHAEL
Vehicle(s)
2021 _ S550
I just ordered the ford performance calibration kit that comes with gt350 style open top airbox. I definitely don't like that design.
I read the whole thread about adding a gt500 airbox with this kit.
But what about using the stock 2021 gt airbox with a k&n style filter? Is that possible? I really like that design.
I did a AFE dry filter drop in the OEM box

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
But what about using the stock 2021 gt airbox with a k&n style filter?
It won't work because the tune is specifically calibrated for the larger MAF sensor in the GT350 kit. If you use that with the smaller OEM MAF sensor then it won't run well or at all.

Not sure why you're so against the design, it works pretty well and it's the OEM unit that comes on GT350s, Mach1s and Bullitts so it's not some janky aftermarket piece.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What @EFI said ^^. If you like the stock air box, you’re better off getting a tune from Livernois or PBD or someone like that. Or you get can an aftermarket closed box intake and do a tune from Livernois, etc.

OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Not sure why you're so against the design, it works pretty well and it's the OEM unit that comes on GT350s, Mach1s and Bullitts so it's not some janky aftermarket piece.
Sure, I'll explain.
The stock airbox is a sealed, ram-air, box. It's air intake is forced air from the grill. A high pressure zone.
The pp style airbox, being an open design AND having a open hole in the hood, kills any ram-air effects because of all the pressure loss.
The gt350 I believe had hood vents that feed this airbox and the standard GT hood vents work against pressurizing it.
The best option that's designed by the factory would be the gt500 airbox kit, which is what I'll purchase soon.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sure, I'll explain.
The stock airbox is a sealed, ram-air, box. It's air intake is forced air from the grill. A high pressure zone.
The pp style airbox, being an open design AND having a open hole in the hood, kills any ram-air effects because of all the pressure loss.
The gt350 I believe had hood vents that feed this airbox and the standard GT hood vents work against pressurizing it.
The best option that's designed by the factory would be the gt500 airbox kit, which is what I'll purchase soon.
You talking about this? I've heard it works pretty well.
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/p-gt500-air-box-lid-kit-gt500airboxlidkit

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Sure, I'll explain.
The kit airbox seal goes behind the hood vent slot. Once the hood is closed it's sealed to the hood liner (how well can be debated) and the only air path is from the front snorkel.
Sponsored