Ford out GM in with FPC

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
This is why when I finally pull the trigger I will be going with an American Racing system as their equal length headers bring the 350 up an octave level and give it such a unique sound.
i will bet you that you will fall in love with the unique voodoo sound and abandon that plan. The sound is that good.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
How is that square?
Voodoo engine Bore x Stroke: 3.70" x 3.66" (94 mm x 93 mm)
Comparing the 458's 94mm bore and 81mm stroke, it sure as shit is pretty darn square. Don't be that guy to split hair so many times it doesn't even resemble a strand anymore. Smartass....

sk8ermoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350 / 2004 LSB M3
Comparing the 458's 94mm bore and 81mm stroke, it sure as shit is pretty darn square. Don't be that guy to split hair so many times it doesn't even resemble a strand anymore. Smartass....
LOL seriously...might as well go to the tenth of a decimal next time.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is why when I finally pull the trigger I will be going with an American Racing system as their equal length headers bring the 350 up an octave level and give it such a unique sound.

Not quite an octave...lol. But yes, it'll be a higher pitch. And ear splitting loud.

Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
i will bet you that you will fall in love with the unique voodoo sound and abandon that plan. The sound is that good.
I don’t. That’s my same plan. Just need to talk myself into spending the money. The 350 with ARH headers sounds orgasmic.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
My understanding of the different sounding FPC on the Voodoo was not because Ford didn't want it to sound like a Ferrari but because they had to make changes from a packaging perspective to fit the engine in the car, and the changes resulted primarily in a different firing order, and hence a different sound. Personally I think the Voodoo sounds better than a CPC or the FPC in a Ferrari.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
My understanding of the different sounding FPC on the Voodoo was not because Ford didn't want it to sound like a Ferrari but because they had to make changes from a packaging perspective to fit the engine in the car, and the changes resulted primarily in a different firing order, and hence a different sound. Personally I think the Voodoo sounds better than a CPC or the FPC in a Ferrari.
Cammisa's Motor Trend "Ignition" video said it was a packaging issue, so I thought that too, but then I read this Road and Track article which says it was a deliberate decision to make it sound unique.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...-mustang-shelby-gt500-the-right-kind-of-loud/

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Firing order would not affect packaging issue, I think. If it would how?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Firing order would not affect packaging issue, I think. If it would how?
the driver side on our cars tends to be a bit contorted. They probably could have pulled it off but would have been expensive to make. So it was probably cheaper to change the firing order and use a cheap to produce header set than to do it "right". Marketing is probably the people who came up with "unique sound" justification to paper over the engineering realities and the bean counters interfering in execution.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Not quite an octave...lol. But yes, it'll be a higher pitch. And ear splitting loud.
That's why equal length headers on a 5.0 sounds like ASS.

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A few factors:

Packaging
Midrange torque
Sound

What's very annoying though is that when they changed the firing order it forced them to add a few more lbs to the crank and then also go to a dual mass heavy flywheel. The car would have actually been about 15lbs lighter if they kept the original design and it actually produced more PEAK power. Engineers felt that a meatier midrange with a high RPM but flattening high range was appropriate for the car's intended function. And they kinda do have a point though. There's a reason why the current GT4 is configured in the way it is. A. Midrange flings you out of corners. B. Power restrictions in accordance to the IMSA rules. But they didn't say anything about torque now did they... ;)

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Well seeing as no one agrees with you I'm okay with being not as good then but at least with a functioning brain.

I'll buy you a beer sometime and teach you how to use that organ.
some posts are so stupid - they are the reason ignore was invented

as well as you math skills

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Cammisa's Motor Trend "Ignition" video said it was a packaging issue, so I thought that too, but then I read this Road and Track article which says it was a deliberate decision to make it sound unique.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...-mustang-shelby-gt500-the-right-kind-of-loud/
Yes I read that article when it came out but there is more to the different sound than just unequal length headers, and I have a hard time believing that Ford made all the different changes to their FPC compared to a Ferrari FPC just to make it sound different than a Ferrari. The packaging issues that caused changes to the engine are far more likely the culprit for the different sound, and the unequal length headers were just put in to make the different sounding engine sound better. Anyway at the end of the day I don't really care how or why the sound is the way it is, I just love it. :-)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes I read that article when it came out but there is more to the different sound than just unequal length headers, and I have a hard time believing that Ford made all the different changes to their FPC compared to a Ferrari FPC just to make it sound different than a Ferrari. The packaging issues that caused changes to the engine are far more likely the culprit for the different sound, and the unequal length headers were just put in to make the different sounding engine sound better. Anyway at the end of the day I don't really care how or why the sound is the way it is, I just love it. :-)

This is correct. Jamal Hameedi and a Jim Farley have discussed some of these changes in the past. Dual manifold went to single. Equal length headers went to unequal. Firing order went from UDDU to UDUD. All these changes added up to a completely different character of engine that is not typical of expected principles.
Sponsored