Sponsored

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
https://www.motor1.com/news/534909/no-ford-mustang-gt500-convertible/

Maybe this is well known already but I couldn’t remember.

Ford Rules Out Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible, Explains Why
It would be too much for what the platform can handle.

September 22, 2021

There's bad news for Mustang convertible fans because Ford doesn't intend to build a droptop version of the current Shelby GT500. The info comes from Ford Chief Product Platform Hau Thai-Tang speaking to Muscle Cars & Trucks.

"When we designed the (S550 platform Mustang) we really looked at the high end and projected what we’ve historically been able to do," he said. "The GT500 I think we projected for. It’s towards the top end of the capabilities of (S550)… one of the things we didn’t do was a convertible variant for that reason. You have to find the bandwidth of the architecture."

That leaves the most powerful droptop Mustang as the GT Convertible. It has a 5.0-liter V8 offering 460 horsepower (343 kilowatts) and 420 pound-feet (569 Newton-meters). Buyers can select a six-speed manual or 10-speed automatic. The optional GT Performance Package adds six-piston Brembo front brake calipers, a revised suspension, K-brace, larger radiator, and more. As an extra upgrade, there's the MagneRide damping system.

The previous-gen Mustang Shelby GT500 was available in a convertible and debuted for the 2013 model year. It packed a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 making 662 hp (494 kW) and 631 lb-ft (856 Nm). The only gearbox option was a six-speed manual. Ford only made the vehicle until the 2014 model yea, and the automaker auctioned the final one to benefit the Brain Injury Association of America.

Ford is currently working on developing the next-gen Mustang. The latest info about it suggests the model goes into production in the fourth quarter of 2022 as a 2023 model year product. There are persistent rumors of an all-wheel-drive variant being available for the first time. At least one electric motor would power the front wheels, and a V8 would spin the back axle. Then, a fully electric Mustang reportedly arrives in 2028.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It isn't that it is "too hard." The bottom line is weight and the purpose. The GT500 is fat enough as is and a convertible variant would be an ultra pig what with requisite stiffening panels needed as well as the top mechanism. This would be quite a bit beyond the scope and pretty much neuter the performance the vehicle was capable of. In essence, it was never even a consideration, thank God.

Too bad Hau didn't make this comment at inception or one regarding the fact that there would be no manual transmission S550 GT500. It sure would have saved a lot of wasted bandwidth.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I hope they end the 500 all together, lol. Bring it back with the new chassis as something much lighter.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It isn't that it is "too hard." The bottom line is weight and the purpose. The GT500 is fat enough as is and a convertible variant would be an ultra pig what with requisite stiffening panels needed as well as the top mechanism. This would be quite a bit beyond the scope and pretty much neuter the performance the vehicle was capable of. In essence, it was never even a consideration, thank God.

Too bad Hau didn't make this comment at inception or one regarding the fact that there would be no manual transmission S550 GT500. It sure would have saved a lot of wasted bandwidth.
that's kind of my point, you can stuff a steel girder into anything to keep it straight, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Didn't they at some point say they were going to listen to feedback regarding a manual and kind left it open ended? I kinda assumed they meant "no" anyway but just didnt want to say it.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Exactly.

My '07 GT500 was a vert, and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made on a car purchase for all the reasons stated. And since the current iteration is even more portly than the S197, an S550 GT500 vert would probably weigh as much as my late model F150 RCSB.

No thanks.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Exactly.

My '07 GT500 was a vert, and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made on a car purchase for all the reasons stated. And since the current iteration is even more portly than the S197, an S550 GT500 vert would probably weigh as much as my late model F150 RCSB.

No thanks.
When i was looking for a car in 2018/19 I thought about a Terminator. OMG there were SO many Terminator verts, even Mystics just sitting listed because NO ONE seems to want a muscle car that's a vert lol. I could have gotten low milage stock Mystics for like 22K. For the price of my Bullitt I could have gotten one to garage and one to drive.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I'm sorry, have you seen some of these GT500's in Copart? imagine if they were convertibles, they'd be dead. I wouldn't be surprised it wasn't thought of for that reason as well. Remember in this day and age Common Sense is now a superpower.

Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
https://www.motor1.com/news/534909/no-ford-mustang-gt500-convertible/

Maybe this is well know already but I couldn’t remember.

Ford Rules Out Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible, Explains Why
It would be too much for what the platform can handle.

September 22, 2021

There's bad news for Mustang convertible fans because Ford doesn't intend to build a droptop version of the current Shelby GT500. The info comes from Ford Chief Product Platform Hau Thai-Tang speaking to Muscle Cars & Trucks.

"When we designed the (S550 platform Mustang) we really looked at the high end and projected what we’ve historically been able to do," he said. "The GT500 I think we projected for. It’s towards the top end of the capabilities of (S550)… one of the things we didn’t do was a convertible variant for that reason. You have to find the bandwidth of the architecture."

That leaves the most powerful droptop Mustang as the GT Convertible. It has a 5.0-liter V8 offering 460 horsepower (343 kilowatts) and 420 pound-feet (569 Newton-meters). Buyers can select a six-speed manual or 10-speed automatic. The optional GT Performance Package adds six-piston Brembo front brake calipers, a revised suspension, K-brace, larger radiator, and more. As an extra upgrade, there's the MagneRide damping system.

The previous-gen Mustang Shelby GT500 was available in a convertible and debuted for the 2013 model year. It packed a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 making 662 hp (494 kW) and 631 lb-ft (856 Nm). The only gearbox option was a six-speed manual. Ford only made the vehicle until the 2014 model yea, and the automaker auctioned the final one to benefit the Brain Injury Association of America.

Ford is currently working on developing the next-gen Mustang. The latest info about it suggests the model goes into production in the fourth quarter of 2022 as a 2023 model year product. There are persistent rumors of an all-wheel-drive variant being available for the first time. At least one electric motor would power the front wheels, and a V8 would spin the back axle. Then, a fully electric Mustang reportedly arrives in 2028.
Thank God. No point making a performance car then adding several hundred pounds of useless weight.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Throttle house just posted a video of a convertible Shelby Super Snake (drag race vs. a Demon), and now we know what would happen to a GT500. The supercharged engine twisted the weakened 'vert. chassis and actually cracked the lower side skirt trim pieces on both sides of the car. Dodge Demon vs Shelby Super Snake Widebody // DRAG & ROLL RACE - YouTube

On the flip side, GM makes a convertible ZL1 which has more torque than the GT500 (650 ft-lbs of torque vs. 625 ft-lbs).

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Also long as we are discussing end of ICE life options, AWD, electric and so on, why not build a body/chassis out of something lighter and stronger than current material? Aluminum? Titanium? Carbon fiber? Send off the ICE with an exotic version...?