Sponsored

Ford Mustang Twitter Horsepower Reveal

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Who cares about the GT500 hp anyways, I don’t because I’ll never buy one... besides I can get 800+ on my ‘18 for cheaper lol.
The '20 GT500 with let's say, 750 hp (my prediction stated early in this thread), will be faster around a track, carry more value, have a warranty, and will also run 10s in the 1/4, and have a DCT. It will also look better than a PP1 '18 GT (which I own and love). If it's anything like the GT350R, it will also be much better balanced, etc., than the PP1 as well, esp. a PP1 with 800 hp and the weight of the S/C and other components over the front tires.

Look, not that I'm complaining; I absolutely love my '18 GT PP1 A10. But, I would rather have a GT500 with 750 hp than an 800 hp supercharged '18 GT PP1 any day of the week. At that level of power, there is virtually no difference on the street - both cars will be tire limited. And on the highway, say from a 60 roll, the 750 hp GT500 will run with an 800 hp GT PP1 probably until 125+mph. The GT500 would be aero limited at the higher speeds, and not that I condone that type of racing, just an example. I'd also say that an 800 hp GT PP1 M6 would lose to a 750 hp GT500 with a DCT from 60-120 mph. The GT would likely need the A10 to hang with the GT500 at those power levels. The winner would be whoever got the jump. At 120+ mph, yeah I'd give the upper hand to an 800 hp GT due to aero.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well, one things for certain here, @ a minimum 730hp, this will be the king of 'stangs, and should hopefully match or beat a base c8 vette in all performance metrics; what with it having the same dct transmission, and those huge brakes. I know the Nurburgring is not a level playing field, but what is you chaps best guess for a lap. Does anyone think it would go a sub 7.10 minute ?!

I think the carbon fiber track pack GT500 will crack 7:10 if it's given enough runs or attempts by different drivers. It is going to be a beast around a track.

C0BRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Man, fuck these guys. Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche and other high end manufacturers don't tease horsepower figures, and Ford is going to do it for a sub $100k car? It's just annoying at this point. Some moron in the marketing department is trying to justify their job. Either that, or its making lower than expected power and they're embarrassed.
Would it make you feel better if it was just over 100k?

Also at Carlisle they are now saying 70++ which is where someone else got that. Initially it was 700+ so they are still teasing, but now implying it will be a higher figure than initially.

BTW they did something similar with the 2005 Ford GT. Only supposed to have 500 before release, and then it was 550 after release. Guessing 780 or 790.

C0BRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the number comes in under 750 HP, I don't see the ADM's lasting long. I'm going to guess 790...because I'm an optimist.
I agree. The ++ thing is making me think high 700's also.

C0BRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just for refrence the current king of Twitter is a 70+ year old straight Republican white man (Donald Trump):ontheloo::cwl:
It seems to work for him.
More like Court Jester.

Sponsored

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The GT500 is a minuscule sliver of overall Mustang sales. Don't think of yourself as too important.
And you are just a miniscule sliver of the grand scheme of things. Go back to minding your own business whoever you are.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I don’t care what the horsepower is. I care about the picture from Justin Verlander with Eleanor, Ford GT, GT500 and Kate Upton together in one picture.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Why does a very hungry cat still play with the mouse before he eats it ? That is more of an answer as to why Ford people are on twitter about the GT500 Horsepower. All about having fun before getting serious.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I don’t care what the horsepower is. I care about the picture from Justin Verlander with Eleanor, Ford GT, GT500 and Kate Upton together in one picture.
Where is that pic located?

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Where is that pic located?
There is no picture...yet. But it is sure to come as I would bet that Justin will be one of the first to get the GT500 and it will be delivered to him directly from Ford.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It’s interesting.

Ford COULD have went twin turbo. And made mind-blowing power that would leave the auto world reeling.

But they stayed financially safe with a supercharger.

THry could have developed this solution with a modern fuel delivery system... it they didn’t.

So the car makes huge power, but not earth shattering.

It’s going to be heavy. It’s based on gt350, but adding even beefier suspension, heavier engine, etc

And so it is bound to be a fast car. Perhaps the fastest out there on the street (not including the not-street-legal demon crate add-ones plus the tire glue). But it’s not going to obliterate stats.

That’s where the DCT comes in. Ford wants a certain amount of performance. No doubt they were getting there. But the DCT ensures it and then some. It basically just maximizes the package. All the go fast goods are there, but the DCT makes sure they get made use of.

The engine could have been better. A lot better. But ford didn’t want to put out the time and cost investment to develop a proper eco boost v8, suited for performance. (I know the engine guy talked about torque management, but that was a veil, nothing more) A missed opportunity for sure, it we are still getting a world class supercharged v8.

If it were turbo, it would overpower the demon at its most insane setup.

But it’s SC.

So it will have to settle for beating hellcats and zl1s.

The weight is going to be an issue but not crazy. The engine is powerful. The dct is the best option we could have hoped for.

So at least we are getting that box ticked.

Hopefully successors will address engine modernity and weight reduction.
The FPC in the GT350 could be thought of as a gimmick (that I bought and thoroughly enjoyed) just like the DCT is the gimmick for the GT500. I think Ford decided they didn't need a first ever engine type as well as a first ever transmission type in this car. They are probably right.

My belief is that the GT500 will be fast and if the programming on the DCT is good enough the reviewers (and buyers) will love it.

It will make the performance numbers and that will generate the wanted halo effect for the brand.

I know many of us wish Ford had done more, but to be realistic, Dodge and Chevy aren't doing TT V8s either. If the engine makes good power, the Mustang chassis is good enough for the GT500 to be a really solid performer. And the DCT will help.

Not sure why you want an engine with direct injection diesel noise and all that extra complexity. There are pluses and minuses to everything. Port injection is a really good system. I think it would be wiser to roll back emissions requirements than to go down the road of direct injection on gasoline engines.
Sponsored