Sponsored

Ford Mustang Top Ranked in 2018 JD Power Initial Quality Survey

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
WOW! Something good is said about Mustangs and even the people here who like them still complain?

Remember, a Mustang is a $26,000 car often with 20-25,000 thousand dollars in options.

Go buy a Lexus/Toyota and you'll have perfect panel gaps, no rattles, good paint and you'll die of boredom. And guess what, they still have problems just like every other car.
A $25,000 car with $25,000 of options is a $50,000 car. And you are right about the Toyota/Lexus. Yes, they may be boring, but they are not more expensive than comparable cars. Compare a Camry and a Fusion. Similar specs and price across the board.

Quality does not cost more. It pays for itself in the long run. Fewer recalls, less warranty work, and free marketing by generating good will and a good reputation with customers.
Sponsored

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The whole JD Power blah-blah initial quality blah-blah isn't worth the brain cells it takes to post this.

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
What the heck is Powertrain Quality - Design?

Yeah dude that's a beautifully designed powertrain you got there.
I can't see that there is any merit what-so-ever if the ratings can't be explained.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang gt
Weird the Mustang beat the Challenger, you would think the 10 year old car and drive train wouldn't be very problematic.

If you really want to hurt your head look up GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado ratings. They diverge wildly or at least they did last year. Which makes no sense. Those GMC badges are causing all sorts of issues apparently. Of course I assume it is because Silverados generally have less options than Sierras, which means less failures, coupled with less discriminating fan base. Although apparently crew cab gmc/chevys come from Mexico. That could be what is messing with the ratings.

IDK I really don't know exactly what any consumer can really glean from the data JD collects, but I bet could be helpful in pinpointing supplier issues, if they collect vin numbers.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Weird the Mustang beat the Challenger, you would think the 10 year old car and drive train wouldn't be very problematic.
Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep has never made a reliable vehicle. Part of the reason they went bankrupt TWICE.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
JD Power needs to send more than $1.00 in the envelope for me to even look at their survey docs ...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep has never made a reliable vehicle. Part of the reason they went bankrupt TWICE.
If only they'd get taken out for good. Still haven't improved, still the absolute worst out there paired with Fix It Again Tony.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Funny enough, other companies have made Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram vehicles reliable. AMC's 4.0 inline 6 was/is one of the most reliable engines out there. Same with the Cummins engines in the Dodge heavy duty trucks. These are reliable vehicles "made" by Jeep and Dodge. Back in the day when Cash for Clunkers was around, they destroyed motors with liquid glass(sodium silicate). Well... guess who never got the memo? The Jeeps with the 4.0 in 'em. Ran for awhile on liquid glass.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If only they'd get taken out for good. Still haven't improved, still the absolute worst out there paired with Fix It Again Tony.
Reputation is a hard thing to shake. It's why "German Engineering" is still touted at 120 decibels when BMW and Audi were voted joint bottom of the 2018 (maybe 2017?) European reliability surveys. Jeep, Dodge, Chevrolet et al. were right at the bottom of the American surveys for several years (and I think they still are), but its Ford that for some reason has the catchy name of "Fix or Repair Daily". The Mustang does have insane issues that should never make it past QC, but the rest of the range is solid; the Fiesta and Focus especially are really well put together relative to how cheap they are.

Then you have the opposite side of the coin, when cars are called unreliable but are in actuality average or above average, which is where you find Land Rover (or pretty much any British or British-made car, really). Landies were horrible when they were trading hands between BMW and Ford, but are now very much average and relatively dependable vehicles, so much so that I don't think there is a single recall out for any 2018 Land Rover, which is downright impressive.

If you were to put 100 Jeeps and 100 Land Rovers side-by-side, the Jeeps would all develop mechanical issues first, guaranteed.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Reputation is a hard thing to shake. It's why "German Engineering" is still touted at 120 decibels when BMW and Audi were voted joint bottom of the 2018 (maybe 2017?) European reliability surveys. Jeep, Dodge, Chevrolet et al. were right at the bottom of the American surveys for several years (and I think they still are), but its Ford that for some reason has the catchy name of "Fix or Repair Daily". The Mustang does have insane issues that should never make it past QC, but the rest of the range is solid; the Fiesta and Focus especially are really well put together relative to how cheap they are.

Then you have the opposite side of the coin, when cars are called unreliable but are in actuality average or above average, which is where you find Land Rover (or pretty much any British or British-made car, really). Landies were horrible when they were trading hands between BMW and Ford, but are now very much average and relatively dependable vehicles, so much so that I don't think there is a single recall out for any 2018 Land Rover, which is downright impressive.

If you were to put 100 Jeeps and 100 Land Rovers side-by-side, the Jeeps would all develop mechanical issues first, guaranteed.
Blanket statement much? Depends on what Jeep model and what Land Rover model. Fiat is awful so I agree new Land Rovers would probably beat out a new Jeep. If we are talking about AMC built Jeeps, not a chance. An AMC built Jeep will outlast ANY Land Rover... guaranteed.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
WOW! Something good is said about Mustangs and even the people here who like them still complain?

Remember, a Mustang is a $26,000 car often with 20-25,000 thousand dollars in options.

Go buy a Lexus/Toyota and you'll have perfect panel gaps, no rattles, good paint and you'll die of boredom. And guess what, they still have problems just like every other car.

Not as many and not as major. Thats the problem. It's the big stuff Ford seems to miss like I don't know.... transmissions! There's a little recall right now on about 350,000 F150's and Navigators due to the transmission failing. And now the 2018 Mustang is having issues with both transmissions. Wow.
Sponsored