Sponsored

Ford Mustang GT - Evo - Long term test modding

Doubevision

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550 V8 GT (2015)
Evo magazine have just just started undertaking mods to their long term test (so far Ford Performance only).

https://magazine.evo.co.uk/2019/08/07/ford-mustange-5-0-v8-gt/pugpig_index.html

They took it around Goodwood circuit and they are interested to know if others had similar overheating issues (although when they say baking-hot conditions, be quite useful to have some temp and humidity data and also number of laps etc)

"Our Stang has been on track again too, at the inaugural evo Goodwood trackday in baking-hot conditions. As I expected, the car was a bit erratic and unpredictable at high speed, but boy was it fast – proper fast on what is a very fast circuit. Well, that was until a chunk of the power disappeared. It felt like the engine’s ECU was unhappy about something and had intervened as a fail-safe. Was it simply getting too hot? The oil temperature gauge was round on the far side, but surely they test these things to the max on the other side of the pond? If you’ve experienced similar in your Mustang do let us know."
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i've had it go into limp because i've over heated the diff and gearbox but never engine wise and i give it some serious stick. engine is rock solid rear diff a lot less so to the point i'm considering fitting a gt350r diff cooler to try and stop it killing its self.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
To be honest, at nearly 2 tonnes it's doing pretty well. BMW M cars used to have such crap brakes that nothing else had the chance to wilt before they faded to nothing. Consensus from the US-based folk seems to be that in hot weather the PP2 cars wilt after about 3 laps, so wouldn't expect the PP1's to be much better.

Of more interest was that Evo said the oil temperature was high - don't know about you, but mine doesn't show oil temperature.... There's cylinder head temp, but not oil.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Evo magazine have just just started undertaking mods to their long term test (so far Ford Performance only).

https://magazine.evo.co.uk/2019/08/07/ford-mustange-5-0-v8-gt/pugpig_index.html

They took it around Goodwood circuit and they are interested to know if others had similar overheating issues (although when they say baking-hot conditions, be quite useful to have some temp and humidity data and also number of laps etc)

"Our Stang has been on track again too, at the inaugural evo Goodwood trackday in baking-hot conditions. As I expected, the car was a bit erratic and unpredictable at high speed, but boy was it fast – proper fast on what is a very fast circuit. Well, that was until a chunk of the power disappeared. It felt like the engine’s ECU was unhappy about something and had intervened as a fail-safe. Was it simply getting too hot? The oil temperature gauge was round on the far side, but surely they test these things to the max on the other side of the pond? If you’ve experienced similar in your Mustang do let us know."
I've had mine at goodwood twice, on numerous sessions on a day. (Day 1:30c heat, day 2: 25c heat tat's ambient, track was nearer to the 40's)

ECU has jumped in on my EB for engine oil heat getting high, it's actually a fail safe for it getting close to the red line, but it quickly cools back down. It's done it both track days we've done for stangfest on mine, and my tuners now put some wizardy in the ECU to bump that failsafe up a bit higher.
The auto's will totally cut revs when it gets too hot on the transmission we found this year on the a10's.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Don’t the US get additional oil coolers offered as an optional extra for track work?

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
[QUOTE="GW65, post: 2627569, member: 37408"
Of more interest was that Evo said the oil temperature was high - don't know about you, but mine doesn't show oil temperature.... There's cylinder head temp, but not oil.[/QUOTE]

My car does.... in engine info there is an oil temp gauge. No numbers just a colour gauge with low, normal and high. It’s what I always have displayed after start-up.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
[QUOTE="GW65, post: 2627569, member: 37408"
Of more interest was that Evo said the oil temperature was high - don't know about you, but mine doesn't show oil temperature.... There's cylinder head temp, but not oil.
My car does.... in engine info there is an oil temp gauge. No numbers just a colour gauge with low, normal and high. It’s what I always have displayed after start-up.[/QUOTE]

Is that really oil temp though? In the "text" version there's cylinder head temp, but not oil temp - so I assumed the gauge was also cylinder head temp.
Sponsored