Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Mustang Claims Back-to-Back World’s Best-Selling Sports Car Crowns, Retains Best-Selling Sports Coupe Title for 6th Straight Year

1618271495710.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., April 13, 2021 – For the second straight year, Ford Mustang – which celebrates its 57th birthday this Saturday – is the world’s best-selling sports car. The famed pony car also retained its title of best-selling sports coupe for the sixth straight year.

Led by a surge in sales in high-performance Bullitt, Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R and Shelby GT500 models, Mustang led all competitors with 80,577 global sales in 2020, according to the most recent vehicle registration data from IHS Markit*. That sales total represents 15.1 percent of the sports coupe market, up from 14.8 percent a year earlier.

“Mustang enthusiasts love their performance cars, and they showed that yet again,” said Hau Thai-Tang, chief product platform and operations officer, Ford Motor Company. “In a challenging year for the entire auto industry because of the global pandemic, Mustang performed very well, increasing its share in the global sports car segment.”

Sales of the high-performance Bullitt and Shelby variants were up 52.7 percent in 2020 from a year earlier, according to Ford internal data. Ford looks to continue its success with limited-edition models with the new 2021 Mustang Mach 1 entering the lineup.

The United States remains the strongest global market for Mustang, representing about three-quarters of total sales. Texas (8,600 vehicles), California (6,200 vehicles) and Florida (5,864 vehicles) remain the top U.S. markets.

Also helping Mustang retain its title as top-selling sports car were increased sales in various European markets. According to Ford internal data, 2020 sales in Hungary were up 68.8 percent over 2019; sales in the Netherlands (38.5 percent), Denmark (12.5 percent), the Czech Republic (5.6 percent) and Austria (4 percent) all increased.

All-electric Mach-E SUV continues Mustang momentum
Outside of the sports car and sports coupe segments, the all-new Mustang Mach-E all-electric SUV exceeded sales expectations in February and March on its way to opening 2021 with strong first-quarter retail sales totaling 6,614.

Demand only increased as the weather warmed, and Mustang Mach-E units in late March spent an average of only seven days on dealer lots.

Mustang Mach-E customers, nearly 70 percent of whom are trading in their keys of competitive brands, lean toward premium Mach-E models. The Mustang Mach-E 4X all-wheel-drive-equipped models are outselling rear-wheel-drive units, while vehicles with extended-range batteries are more popular and are capable of up to an EPA estimated 305 miles** with rear-wheel-drive.

# # #

*Note: IHS Markit global vehicle registrations are compiled from government and other sources and capture 95 percent of global new vehicle volumes in more than 80 countries. Sports cars, as defined by IHS Markit, include all vehicles in the IHS Markit Global Sports Car segment. Mustang is America’s best-selling sports car over the last 50 years, based on Ford analysis of 1966-2020 total U.S. new vehicle cumulative registrations for all sports car segments supplied by IHS Markit.

**Based on full charge. Actual range varies with conditions, such as external environment, vehicle use, driving behaviors, vehicle maintenance, lithium ion battery age and state of health.
Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Queue "The Mustang isn't a sports car" in 3...2...
Not to mention how can it win for best sports car AND best sport coupe?

I guess in 2020 you could argue the 2 seat GT350R was a sports cars verses the 2+2 coupes of the remaining Mustang line, which explains how you could qualify for both sports car and sports coupe. But given the limited allotment/sales of the R, surely it was not the best selling sports car.

Redbaron289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang GT
It's a fun car; it basically only seats two people, it goes fast, models have high horsepower, a convertible is available, it's a sports car. Many on here buy them as toys and not as their daily car, so yeah, it's a sports car. I know a lot will argue, but most people would say it's a sports car.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
We Mustang owners sure must be really dumb if you ask all the people who want to say it's too expensive, or doesn't perform as well as (fill in the blank), or blah blah blah... yet somehow in spite of all the constant criticism it's the top selling sports car? Maybe we're just all believing Ford's fake news. :crackup: About the only title the detractors MIGHT let Ford get away with is "best selling Mustang". You know what else? I friggin love Whoppers from Burger King and I bet a lot of hamburger snobs would say "that's not a hamburger" or "but you can get a Big Mac for less money" or "but Five Guys tastes so much better." Don't care, give me a Mustang and a Whopper.

Last edited:

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
We Mustang owners sure must be really dumb if you ask all the people who want to say it's too expensive, or doesn't perform as well as (fill in the blank), or blah blah blah... yet somehow in spite of all the constant criticism it's the top selling sports car?
In my experience, people who say that are driving a maroon 1990 Dodge Caravan with four bald tires, a broken rear windshield wiper and a faded Mary Kay Cosmetics sticker in the window.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
The genius of these cars is that there's a Mustang for every enthusiast and you don't have to be rich to own one.

Sports Car? Muscle Car? Grand Tourer? Don't care. It's already good enough to scratch any itches I have for those categories. If I want more of one or the other, I can make it happen without worrying about it like it's some precious handmade exotic.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I don't see my 2020 2.3 HPP as a sports car , but when I go thru the gears, press the accelerator, turn the steering wheel , and brake hard I feel like I am driving a sports car.

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Sports cars never had back seats..
For about ~6 decades.

Now they do?

Next thing I suppose,
they'll be telling us Shelby's are race cars.

Define ;
Racecar: /rās kär/
noun: racecar
1. An automobile built or modified for racing. Does not come with any warrantys. Expressed or implied.
(Nassau's Dictionary- :not Websters:)

Any new car that doesn't come w/ warranty may, or may not, qualify as--a racecar.

Brace for Shelby Typhoon of anger. 🤣

Make no mistake. The Shelby's are a fantastic car. No argument. If I was smart enuff to pay $25K ADM, ID own 1 myself.

I had to pay -22% Msrp ADM,
for my green turd boiler... & I luv it ..
All except for the-
'Gestapo - Communist Transmission'.

Where's the Tremec wiring harness upgrade from FR from the Mock 1 for our cheap junk?
We need an upgrade from the Mt82 -
'Dose of the clap'
aka;
D4 trans..

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's a fun car; it basically only seats two people, it goes fast, models have high horsepower, a convertible is available, it's a sports car. Many on here buy them as toys and not as their daily car, so yeah, it's a sports car. I know a lot will argue, but most people would say it's a sports car.
So then it is not a sport coupe I guess...

Watch the commercials where a soccer mom drives a new sedan, and explains "it's like a race car!". Yeah, if you have never driven a race car, or seen one up close, or know anything about them, and your old car is an old, worn out POS.

Last edited:

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
So then it is not a sport coupe I guess...

Watch the commercials where a soccer mom drives a new sedan, and explains "it's like a race car!". Yeah, if you have never driven a race car, or seen one up close, or know anything about them, and your old car is an old, worn out POS.
Sports Car - A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, or thrill of driving.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

The Mustang fits that definition.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Maybe because not everything in life needs to be clearly defined, put in a box, and blessed by some arcane sanctioning body.

If we're going to get pedantic about what is and isn't a "sports car" then the answer is the Miata. Every year, the Miata is the best selling "sports car". Because it's the only "true" sports car. All Miata's, all the way down.

I'd rather not live in a world so sterile.

I'd rather live in the world where the Mustang can win in both categories, because both terms are loose and open to interpretation.
Wait till next year when the Mustang wins best sports car, best sports coupe, best small SUV, and best electric SUV. 😂🤣😂🤣
Sponsored