Grintch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's a fun car; it basically only seats two people, it goes fast, models have high horsepower, a convertible is available, it's a sports car. Many on here buy them as toys and not as their daily car, so yeah, it's a sports car. I know a lot will argue, but most people would say it's a sports car.
So then it is not a sport coupe I guess...

Watch the commercials where a soccer mom drives a new sedan, and explains "it's like a race car!". Yeah, if you have never driven a race car, or seen one up close, or know anything about them, and your old car is an old, worn out POS.

Advertisement

Last edited:

Jay Marcase

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
So then it is not a sport coupe I guess...

Watch the commercials where a soccer mom drives a new sedan, and explains "it's like a race car!". Yeah, if you have never driven a race car, or seen one up close, or know anything about them, and your old car is an old, worn out POS.
Sports Car - A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, or thrill of driving.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

The Mustang fits that definition.

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Maybe because not everything in life needs to be clearly defined, put in a box, and blessed by some arcane sanctioning body.

If we're going to get pedantic about what is and isn't a "sports car" then the answer is the Miata. Every year, the Miata is the best selling "sports car". Because it's the only "true" sports car. All Miata's, all the way down.

I'd rather not live in a world so sterile.

I'd rather live in the world where the Mustang can win in both categories, because both terms are loose and open to interpretation.
Wait till next year when the Mustang wins best sports car, best sports coupe, best small SUV, and best electric SUV. 😂🤣😂🤣

bnightstar

Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Grintch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Nope, only Miata :giggle:

You can't have it both ways and be a sports car AND a sport coupe. Not if you have good category definitions at least.

Otherwise I can claim to be the handsomest man ever, with a bunch of small print that limits the category to just a few people.

gadgtfreek

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Sports cars never had back seats..
For about ~6 decades.

Now they do?

Next thing I suppose,
they'll be telling us Shelby's are race cars.

Define ;
Racecar: /rās kär/
noun: racecar
1. An automobile built or modified for racing. Does not come with any warrantys. Expressed or implied.
(Nassau's Dictionary- :not Websters:)

Any new car that doesn't come w/ warranty may, or may not, qualify as--a racecar.

Brace for Shelby Typhoon of anger. 🤣

Make no mistake. The Shelby's are a fantastic car. No argument. If I was smart enuff to pay $25K ADM, ID own 1 myself.

I had to pay -22% Msrp ADM,
for my green turd boiler... & I luv it ..
All except for the-
'Gestapo - Communist Transmission'.

Where's the Tremec wiring harness upgrade from FR from the Mock 1 for our cheap junk?
We need an upgrade from the Mt82 -
'Dose of the clap'
aka;
D4 trans..
Common definitions do not specify 2 seater only, and some say 2+2 (MUSTANG). Get over it, it is a sports car.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
You can't have it both ways and be a sports car AND a sport coupe. Not if you have good category definitions at least.

Otherwise I can claim to be the handsomest man ever, with a bunch of small print that limits the category to just a few people.
Sometimes something comes along that transcends simple definitions, and is so universally accepted that it sets a standard in multiple categories. The Mustang is like that. When people think about both 'sports car' AND 'sports coupe' apparently the first thing that comes to mind is 'Mustang'. I wouldn't get hung up over the definitions of the categories, and instead focus on the spirit of them. The Mustang is the best selling car that embodies the spirit of both.

MX5Racer

Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
None of it matters without a frame of reference. "Best" compared to what? Who were the losers of this tally? Who came in 2nd and 3rd?

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
None of it matters without a frame of reference. "Best" compared to what? Who were the losers of this tally? Who came in 2nd and 3rd?
Ford didn't make this up.

Mustang led all competitors with 80,577 global sales in 2020, according to the most recent vehicle registration data from IHS Markit*.

Let us know what you find.
https://ihsmarkit.com/index.html

kz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ford didn't make this up.

Mustang led all competitors with 80,577 global sales in 2020, according to the most recent vehicle registration data from IHS Markit*.

Let us know what you find.
https://ihsmarkit.com/index.html
It's really in competition with Camaro and Challenger (is that a sports car too ? :) ). Of course it sold more than 911s, Caymans or Ferraris. Anyone had doubts ?

The only benefit for us as users is more cars sold, better aftermarket/spares support there is. Fact that Ford sold a lot of them is something that Ford shareholders care about.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
It's really in competition with Camaro and Challenger (is that a sports car too ? :) ). Of course it sold more than 911s, Caymans or Ferraris. Anyone had doubts ?

The only benefit for us as users is more cars sold, better aftermarket/spares support there is. Fact that Ford sold a lot of them is something that Ford shareholders care about.
It also outsold the Miata :giggle:

Advertisement

MBGRAM-1

Advertisement