marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Pathetic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45957673

Ford, Fiat and Nissan ads banned for dangerous driving

Three different carmakers have had ads banned for encouraging unsafe driving.

Two ads for Ford Mustang cars fell foul of the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after viewers complained that they showed driving as a way of releasing anger.

The ASA also ruled against a Nissan Micra ad which it said depicted driving at excessive speeds.
It also banned an ad showing four Fiat models because, it said, "speed was the main message of the ad".
Ford said it had intended to show the Mustang as "the antidote to a dull life", while Nissan said its ad did not condone speeding and Fiat said its ad did not represent real-life driving conditions.

The Ford ad, shown in cinemas and on the firm's YouTube channel, quoted a Dylan Thomas poem urging viewers to "rage against the dying of the light", while showing typical office frustrations such as a jammed photocopier and spilt coffee.

Ford told the ASA that the word "rage" was not used to convey anger or aggression, but passion and enthusiasm. The ads did not show any scenes of road rage, it added.

However, the ASA said the ad depicted characters releasing their anger while driving a Mustang and that the poem reinforced that "by encouraging motorists to drive in an aggressive manner".

'Fantastical' scenes

The Nissan ad, shown on TV, showed a car braking after a pedestrian stepped in front of it. Nissan said the purpose was to demonstrate the car's "intelligent technology and safety features".

It added that the driver shown was "at all times driving within the applicable speed limits".

However, the ASA said there was no indication in the ad of what those limits were. It said the ad "implied the character had increased the speed of the vehicle because they were in a rush".

Fiat's ad, seen on YouTube, featured cars driving on a track which the carmaker said was "designed to emulate the Hot Wheels children's toy cars game".

It said the ad was not targeted at UK consumers and was "fantastical in nature".

The ASA said the ad had been served to UK consumers and the association with Hot Wheels "would not be immediately obvious to or understood by many consumers".

The watchdog added that the ad "portrayed the cars racing and being driven in a manner that condoned or encouraged unsafe or irresponsible driving".
Sponsored

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Crying shame. I may raise a complaint that it's been banned! I thought it was a clever and relevant ad.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I read there were 12 complaints (Facebook, so may be sh*te). Of course some object to the very sight of a 5.0 before we even suggest a link with rage...
I guess the days of arty advertisement are gone, due to the risk of snowflakes not getting it ;)

Sponsored

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
Reminds me of this one - more people saw this than would ever have been the case if it hadn't been 'banned'

And this one:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The real tragedy in modern society is that people have lost all sense of nuance. This commercial certainly has some strong overtones that suggest that driving your mustang is a good outlet, or form of anger management. Perhaps you can take issue with the approach to marketing, but to equate that to encouraging aggressive driving is lunacy.

Welcome to the internet, where everything is black/white and us against them :crazy:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sooooo....

Porsche, Audi, BMW, Alfa Romeo and (insert others here) don’t show spirited driving ads at all in the UK?

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The ASA also ruled against a Nissan Micra ad which it said depicted driving at excessive speeds.
Aren't people more concerned with this statement? If anything maybe false advertising? :bandit:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What has happened to the British? Churchill is spinning in his grave.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Haven't cared about England since 1776
Sponsored