Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
You do realize that dealers are moving in that direction now. Internet sales comprise the majority of business now days. The days of the casual tire kicker are over.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If they do this I can see this sale numbers plumbing it's obvious that Ford is counting dealer inventories as sales if the inventories are non existent it will turn out the number of cars sold will be much lower. This will not be good for ford though it maybe just maybe make the supply chain less crowded (no more inventory cars) which eventually will mean that we will be able to buy cars again (maybe).

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
You do realize that dealers are moving in that direction now. Internet sales comprise the majority of business now days. The days of the casual tire kicker are over.
Be rest assured, no one is kicking tires. Just to start, “No one under 50!” Would know what their kicking! Times are changing, the days of “Driving” a car is sadly going to pass!

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
Of course I realize it, but it’s not because the dealers wanted it. It’s because everybody went insane over Covid and are scared of their shadow. I was working in Texas when they dropped all the restrictions before anyone else. As soon as they started to relax the restrictions, the dealers there went right back to the ways everything worked before with the salesman ride alongs during test drives, the high pressure sales tactics, and the flock of salesmen attacking any customer that approaches. This was a little before the craziness that’s happening now with no inventory and everybody and his uncle with buckets of gov’t money buying everything up.

I maintain—once and if we ever get back to normal, the dealers will go back to business as usual.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Honestly it's a perfect tactical move given auto sales will probably heavily decline in the next few years. A lot of the "impulse" market has already been used up what with all the covid free money.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Full circle dude ! That is how it used to be. The orientals changes all that when they invaded the US market. I can remember (WW II war baby here) :party: Most of the big three dealers were in surplus quonset huts due to the building mat'l shortage. They'd have maybe one of each model and a pick up or two to look at. Sales had these big flip books showing the colors and options. Kind of like ordering Chinese. :crackup: Picked this and that. Signed the paperwork and waited for the car to be delivered. This is why I don't like to buy lot cars. I don't want 90% of the crap dealers load on to their cars.
Exactly the way I remember the new car dance. Buyer gets what they want, have in mind, went looking for.

Purchased my 2020 that way. Drive it knowing it is my car, not some box with wheels sold to me.

Getting the good deal, or settling for an almost. Some events follow, owner talks & makes excuses to them selves. Trying to convince that voice in their heads, the car is everything they were seeking.

After paying a hefty price for it, no matter what's said. Runs around trying get things upgraded to meet a standard had in mind at the get go.

At that point the good deal evaporates, car is more costly. And is the same as buying used.

I think a sold car is good for the dealer, not the driver/owner. I will bet if the truth could be known most sold a car. Are never really happy with it.

One can hear it in the conversations, starts out. I got the super deal, and the list of acceptance not wanted begins to roll off the lips.

Yup think Ford has the right idea. Buyer orders, get what they want. I know I was/am, after the paper work was completed for delivery.

The sweetest words were heard, well lets go see YOUR car. Grin every time thinking about it.

That's good as receiving an Honorable discharge.

Cool

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Usually can never find what I want on the lot so ordering a new vehicle to get exactly what I want is the way to go. Just placed order for new F250SD for that reason.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I m a little older and have bought dozens of new cars in my lifetime, NEVER ordered one. Always searched then put my hands on before buying. Always thought I d get a better deal that way. Now after searching for months and not finding the right car at the right price (due to covid issues ) I ordered a Mach 1. My first order and I m not sure how this will play out.
1. I think I got a fair price at %4 below invoice and thats if nothing changes . In this unique time everything seems uncertain.
2. Delivery time can keep changing and I don t like the wait although I don t need the car.
For me I d rather visit a dealer with 10 Mustang s on the lot.
I ll reserve my judgement on ordering a car until the deal is done.
I think I went with a reputable dealer that I got right here!

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
A friend of mine is buying a Tesla, and this is pretty much how they work. They only have a few models, and most of the options are in software, so it's easier to only have a few cars and still provide test drives than from a company like Ford.

They were laid back, easy to deal with, but my friend ordered it in mid-July and won't get it until November. He then decided to delay the order and get it in January just to get a 2022 model. There's something to be said about going in and getting a car when you need it, especially if it's not some sort of specialty car and the common features are all you need.

Dealers have always made more money from used cars, but if this goes through, my guess is that they'll focus a lot more on the used market.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I want my cars like I want sex........ NOW! Not 3 months from now:) I've only bought off the lot. I admit I sometimes wind up with a bit of a compromise but I'm emotional about car purchases and if I see something I really like I want to take it for a spin and if I buy it give it to me now.

I have no regrets really with my GT. I suppose having the adjustable exhaust would have been nice but she sounds great in any case and I love the car. And I did well on the price too.

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Zero surprise. The chip/inventory shortages boosted their profits significantly.
While they may be making more per unit they are selling, overall this chip shortage has been awful for the industry. Making more per car is great and all but when you can make only 60% of the cars normally made, The higher profit margin it isn't doing much good for you. Just my opinion anyway.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I think all the car companies screwed themselves when they introduced the family pricing events. People know when those events start and have waited to buy during them. I've bought two vehicles during that event and the sales reps at the dealership hate them. Their sales go up but they get didley out of each sale because there's very little profit in the sale. This could just be an attempt by Ford to hit the reset button and go back to year round sales and hope the other companies follow suite.

I've only special ordered one vehicle and it turned out fine. But once you order it, it's yours. If it shows up and you think the color doesn't look as nice as it did online, or you should have got the nicer interior, to bad so sad. It's your car now and you're taking it home.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Dealers would still deal to get better incentives on volume sales even on custom orders

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I have always been amazed by the way most people in the US buy cars that are not exactly what they want but it was the closest thing that was available on the lot. Like mentioned before this is completely different from the rest of the world, where it is normal to order you car and wait for it to be built.

What amazes me even more though is the power that US dealerships have over their manufacturers. Where I live dealer contracts are collectively terminated every time the brand decides to redesign their distribution network, which is on average once in 3 to 4 years. This is something Ford should do in the US as well. Get rid of these criminals and replace them with delivery centers and certified repair centers.
Sponsored