Sponsored

Ford is spying on you and sharing your personal information [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Unfortunately we as Americans have not been taught what a surveillance State is like. I grew up in the middle of the cold war and we were taught the difference between freedom and persecution.

I got hit with a speed camera in Tn. It was night and the picture did not show the driver. I was given 3 options, 1) pay the fine, 2) identify the person driving my truck, 3) take a ding on my credit report.

Currently the in house surveillance is voluntary and is through private entities. Alexia, smart phones.......

Won't be long before the "I have nothing to hide, my life is boring" mentality extends itself to government. I never thought I'd see the day when we would voluntarily give up our privacy for any reason.

I am glad I'm in the last quarter of my life. I do wonder what my grand kids and great grand kids lives will be like. Hopefully they put a stop to this nonsense.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm not paranoid about being 'tracked'... but I certainly don't 'volunteer' any info. The Ford app is crap IMO, so I never downloaded it, even after the insistence of the salesman. My car doesn't have a modem (fortunately), and I never activated Wi-Fi. My phone has always 'location services' turned off, except the rare time I need to use google, uber, etc. I also turn everything off that I can on my phone and computer (no history, etc). I don't have any 'social media' account, except 'Whatsapp', because I need it for work. But have all features I don't need blocked, have very few apps, and 'refresh' blocked, and crap like that. Basically just what I need to be able to use the phone without any issues, so I'm not really missing anything. But at the same time, not volunteering anything I don't have to :).

By the way, other sources of 'volunteering' info is the stupid TV, but I couldn't find how to minimize intrusion there, so left it alone. But where I can, I block info, without sacrificing anything. I have nothing to hide :).

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
This really is a shame, because the Ford app can be so helpful... remote locking and unlocking for when you go into the store and donā€™t remember if you locked your car, GPS tracking so that if your car is stolen, you can track where it goes, notifications of tire pressure and battery life for when you park your car for the winter, and so on

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This really is a shame, because the Ford app can be so helpful... remote locking and unlocking for when you go into the store and donā€™t remember if you locked your car, GPS tracking so that if your car is stolen, you can track where it goes, notifications of tire pressure and battery life for when you park your car for the winter, and so on
Exactly. So if you're not doing anything illegal, just use it. Even if you are doing illegal things do we really think Ford is going to tattle on us? They're not so just go ahead and enjoy the features of the app.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
When the app works, that is. It's successful in remote starting my truck maybe 50% of the time.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
A big part of this is that people want lower costs and safety.

How do you make things safer? Constant monitoring, and data gathering and then find out what the numbers say and then develop changes to address them. AKA: Want lower crime or higher rate of criminals being caught? Then more cameras would be needed.

Want that also at the same cost or a lower cost than you are paying now? Then the company needs to offset that new expense by selling the data to other companies. Yet we are a capitalist society, so even if the selling of the data offsets the cost of implementation they will still charge you more, also if they charge you more saying its due to the added safety features, they will STILL sell your data as well... money.

You can either have more accurate testing and safety, data gathering, and better song/video recommendation based on your LIKE votes OR you can have privacy. You cant have both unless you're willing to pay a LOT more for the service than you are now. FaceBook is free, but they are making on average $226 per person from their data. How many people would use facebook if they charged you $226/yr to use it? How many people would buy a car if you had to also pay $100/yr to use sync/Maps?

Part of this is also that the mean(not average) of wages have NOT grown as much as inflation. So people are also less likely to be able to pay for the service even if they wanted to.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.

I don't use any social media except for this and one other forum.

No fakebook, no alexia no.........

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.

I don't use any social media except for this and one other forum.

No fakebook, no alexia no.........
Facebook and Google are still tracking every site you visit. Who do you think provides the ads on this site? Do you not use Google.com? Bing.com? You are on this site so you must have an ISP, and be using a computer or at least a phone.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ad blocker and VPN.

I know I'm being tracked by someone but I do everything I can to not be.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ad blocker and VPN.

I know I'm being tracked by someone but I do everything I can to not be.
Thatā€™s a good start but ad blockers have their own security issues. VPNā€™s are hit and miss but forget the free ones. They are worthless.

So how about your phone? Credit cards, bank accounts including loans, investment accounts, healthcare accounts, drivers license, car registration, insurance policies? I could go on and on. I practice safe security but Iā€™m also very realistic as to how much of my information is out there. Thatā€™s also why Iā€™m not really concerned about Ford.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Most may have read this already but I missed it until now. Disable the modem by pulling a fuse.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/4g-modem-disabling-instructions.146860/
C8505-F73-D712-4073-81-EA-FD1-E01-A3-EFBA.jpg

C5-CD35-F3-4130-4-BB6-89-B6-19-D365-CFB450.jpg

I know some people have mentioned about tracking your own car if itā€™s stolen, but I reckon most thiefā€™s that can steal a car without the key probably know how to pull a fuse.

It might save some of the early modem cars that go missing, but word will soon get around - they will get their info right here on M6G ... :cwl:

WD :like:

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Regardless of how enlightened we are,
or think we are.
We will never all as a nation come together to initiate change in the same manner those who created this nation would.....
& did.
Is a few hundred yrs
'So Long ago' now?

We cant change anything.. not towards what was written 2 centuries ago for us to still have now.

We've been taught- or at least told,
For Far TOO LONG NOW,
that coming together for the things that people...
including car culture people--- like the 1's who post here, tend to believe... Well. We are now wrong for that.
Just wrong.
If we believe in most anything from the past.
We are inherently @ pur core bad people now.

Burning gasoline is a very bad thing.
We are told we are Deplorable if we think using fuel from inside the ground is a good or helpful thing.

Not just now.. but going forward.. & I've been hearing it for many yrs now,
going bkwards in time..
Before 'carbon credit' days & well before.
Its been a presidential platform for decades now. C02 & carbon.

We must get bk into the
Paris Climate Accord !@!
& we must go bk to secretly giving countries like Iran,
huge cash infusions, !@!
on pallets, stacked high in Euro's. Not worthless US treasury We can just print.

This will get them to promise to slow down weapons manufacturing. A real win for man kind.
Buying an arms race slow down is not what they say it is. Just what actions show.

80 million people want this...80 million??

Its why the old people must die off.
Cuz Only the old people can remember the past. When the life they lived was affected once effected by the past.. only then can it mean anything worth remembering.

Wikipedia is now the flagship for the gospel truth about our nations terrible & horrible history.
Why we the living..?? are not punished daily.. w/more verbal & physical brutality??
For the sins of our ancestors, I do not know.

History is being re-written daily now,
for those who didnt get the version previous to this 1.

Why im stunned to any of this??
I hav no idea.
80 million people spoke??
& want to be
" told & given ".
Im shocked. Just no idea why (im shocked) when I look at what influences our thoughts daily.
Enjoy the smell of burnt 93 & E85 while U can.
Enjoy acceleration using while u can. Nif u are young enuff. U will see chg.

Im just glad my father
(born in '25 & did his sml part in the war) hasn't seen the past 3 decades, of what the adult- living-US citizen has seen.
Seen chg that is in 30+yrs.

I think it would genuinely hurt his heart.
Man.. he loved this country.
More than he loved me.
Id bet on it.

( here is where we all tear our sync3 screens outta da dash.. & burn um- on Utube) šŸ˜

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
First I'd distinguish the mere fact that it's just done (nothing special anymore) from the scope, intensity, gravity and recklessness of data collection. As long as people don't know or find out or can comprehend in which ways their data can be used against them it's hard to bring change to the data collection obsession. For some it's not a big deal, some care a little and so on, and some do want total control of what is being done with any kind of data or information about them. The truth is that this total control is an illusion and practically impossible. I myself find it important that a balance is struck so excessive data collection is not possible in a way that it would push people involuntarily into problems due to the data publicly available.

As sad it might be the right and freedom to decide who gets which data is practically impossible and out of our hands after the moment when we have agreed to share it for further processing after which it is decided by corporate contracts what happens next with it, be it traded, sold to the next guy or stolen/hacked.

In a way the data collection business is abusing the human weaknesses (people don't understand it, get baited into deals or plainly are forced to give it up as a requirement for something).
Btw there's a series called Black Mirror which has some episodes highlighting some dystopian extreme realities on this topic.

Side note: I am planning to disassemble and have a look into the telemetry unit later on but now the car is just too shiny and new to get ripped apart so soon.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.