Sponsored

Ford is spying on you and sharing your personal information [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
We were told in training that Ford collects 'general' data, like average speed, duration, etc. to help engineers see where to concentrate efforts on drivability and options most used. Watch any 'future of the auto industry' programs and the real billions in revenue will be in collecting/selling data, not the profit by selling you a new vehicle.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Sure lots of the data is used by engineers just for that, make the drivability better. Then Ford found out they could make billions selling info.

I know it is the private sector and we opt in by agreeing to the 3 thousand word privacy agreement, but it sure reminds me of the former soviet union.

I have nothing to hide (that I know of) and I don't like it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Of all the things that we need to concern ourselves with these days

(put you're own list in here.......)

my concern that Ford is "spying" on me is down around 1,000,001.

Now if you really have concerns about your privacy go someplace remote and live off the grid. No phones, no electronics of any kind, no credit cards, no banking, no insurance, no healthcare, no schooling, no licenses, no social security, no nothing. Otherwise go out for a drive in your Mustang and stop worrying.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is almost humorous how some feel so strongly that all of this is ok, that it makes me wonder who they work for.

The point of all this is to raise awareness. I realize the exposure from using a smart phone as well as all the other things go that expose us to data collection.

So are people just supposed to throw up their hands and surrender? This thread started over in the GT350/GT500 thread. Many refused to believe that this could go on. Most people who drive those cars like to enjoy a little bit of a spirited drive. The TCU captures all of that and reports it.

Imagine if (God forbid) you were to get into an accident and the other pary's attorney gets a court order to view your driving history and include it into the legal battle? You could have done nothing wrong to cause the accident but in the look back, a good attorney would make you look like a mad man behind the wheel.

There are a lot of what ifs and hypotheticals, but the folks who are stauncly defending this data collection of your driving and other habits is inexcusable.

But that's just my opinion.
Just as others have expressed their opinion, this topic is worthy of discussion. Many have zero clue about what Ford is doing. Now that they do, they have a choice. An informed decision is always the best decision.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Dude cars have been storing most of that info in the ecu for years and can be accessed by highway patrol. then and for what 10 years now all cars have black boxes by law that you cant do anything about. This is nothing new and nothing new to ford. your getting worked up over something thats been being done to you for several decades now and is standard practice in ALL CARS!!!

Are you really my Brother? Cause I changed my routers wifi name t fbi van 1 once and he wouldn't go on the net for 2 months. Then he stopped using the internet and electronics cause "hes being watched" with all the things in the world the government has better things to do then see if I did some spirited driving.
Dude? LOL. Yes, cars have been storing it. Cars have not been capturing and transmitting in almost a live format and landing in a database that will never go away.

Our viewpoints differ greatly. It is obvious that we will never agree. However you should respect the notion that most people have zero idea that this is going on and most don't like it.

So govern yourself accordingly. You have made your mind up and now that it is based upon information presented, it is an informed decision. The reason this thread exists is to inform. I do not wish to debate this with you. This will be my last reply towards you in this thread.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is almost humorous how some feel so strongly that all of this is ok, that it makes me wonder who they work for.
Tom, it's not that I feel it's OK. It's just that I've been around long enough having spent my entire career in the electronics industry to know that it's a pointless fight. Big brother has been watching us for years in ways you most likely aren't even aware of. Trust me when I tell you Ford is the least of your problems. If pulling a fuse and disconnecting antennas make you feel more secure by all means do what you need to do.

I do want to put this out there. Has anyone reading this thread even been negatively effected by any date being given to a car company. And please to not mention insurance because the car manufacturer needs your permission to share your data with them.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, it's not that I feel it's OK. It's just that I've been around long enough having spent my entire career in the electronics industry to know that it's a pointless fight. Big brother has been watching us for years in ways you most likely aren't even aware of. Trust me when I tell you Ford is the least of your problems. If pulling a fuse and disconnecting antennas make you feel more secure by all means do what you need to do.

I do want to put this out there. Has anyone reading this thread even been negatively effected by any date being given to a car company. And please to not mention insurance because the car manufacturer needs your permission to share your data with them.
Again, its about real time driving data being collected and stored. Having spent your career in the 'biz, you should know that data like this never goes away. Now, put someone behind the wheel of a GT500 or a GT350 and they go out for a spirited drive...... That will never go away and IMHO always be subject to a court order should the reason arise.

The alternative is to pull the "so called" plug on the TCU. I do agree that much of the data sharing is out of our control. Some have mentioned more of a European model where there is much more control over data collection and sharing. I don't think that will be coming anytime soon here in the US, but I feel that if I can stop real time 24/7 data collection of my vehicle, I'm all for it.

So again, the issue is choice. You choose what you want to do, I choose what I want to do, but it is based upon an informed decision. Hence the reason for the thread..... Information. Lets face it, Ford isn't exactly up front and forthcoming in regard to the collection and dissemination of data.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Dude cars have been storing most of that info in the ecu for years and can be accessed by highway patrol. then and for what 10 years now all cars have black boxes by law that you cant do anything about.
Just for clarification, the ACM (Airbag Control Module or "black box") only stores data when an airbag deploys, or experiences a "near-deployment" event. And when I mean data, I'm speaking of speed/rpm/braking/% throttle/steering input/etc. And GM was the first to provide ACM data which became accessible in 1994... 26 years ago. Ford did not allow access to the data until 2001.

The police do quite often get a search warrant to access this data in the case of a fatality.
The police do NOT ever access the Infotainment system which can capture your location/time data via GPS from a paired phone. This technique is destructive, and the infotainment module needs to be opened up and circuits need to be jumped in order to read the data. This is very expensive to perform and requires complex training.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
People don't care because the schools quit teaching about communism around 1986.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just for clarification, the ACM (Airbag Control Module or "black box") only stores data when an airbag deploys, or experiences a "near-deployment" event. And when I mean data, I'm speaking of speed/rpm/braking/% throttle/steering input/etc. And GM was the first to provide ACM data which became accessible in 1994... 26 years ago. Ford did not allow access to the data until 2001.

The police do quite often get a search warrant to access this data in the case of a fatality.
The police do NOT ever access the Infotainment system which can capture your location/time data via GPS from a paired phone. This technique is destructive, and the infotainment module needs to be opened up and circuits need to be jumped in order to read the data. This is very expensive to perform and requires complex training.
There is no arguing with questionable intelligence. He is hell bent on attack and forcing his views.

Let it go. The person who's CCPA report in the thread was concerned enough to ask me to review it and then post it. I did exactly that. I don't see what this guy's problem is with the truth, but I guess he lives in his own form of reality.

Sure, sign me up for 24/7 driving monitoring. I trust Ford, and I trust all the people who would like to get a hold of that data for the sake of the blue oval, LOL

What a (person of questionable intelligence).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I can say same of you, you are hell bent on forcing your point of view, when its clear most replies on this topic people don't care. you are just choosing to ignore the other people who all said the same as me....who cares everything tracks and logs you.

Its very clear this topic does not belong here.
Yes, and when the mods moved it here, I knew it was going to be a 3 ring circus, Mr. ringleader. There is a reason I don't hang out here in this sub forum. Its because of people like you.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yes, and when the mods moved it here, I knew it was going to be a 3 ring circus, Mr. ringleader. There is a reason I don't hang out here in this sub forum. Its because of people like you.
this is not in a sub forum this is in the main forum. you have no clue what you are talking about. I dont agree with you so insult me... I never insulted you just dont agree. you just want everyone to agree and when they dont you get upset. read the comments friend im not the only one who thinks you are going over board with it.

And you have posted this same topic like 7 times in 7 different forums... and Im the three ring circus? who is the one needing attention HU? and every time you post it people don't agree with you and you get upset just like now. give it up already.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Is it Oregon where the Governor wants people to rat out their neighbors for having more then 6 people for the holiday?

Do we have restrictions on travel?

Are we being monitored?

Are we being forced to comply with the whims of one member of government?

I see Soviet style governance and I for one am scared because so many just look the other way. I mean I have nothing to hide, so come on in and search my bedroom. Plug your scanner into my car, download my phone. ECT.....

Yea sounds kinda tin foil hatish, but lots of it is happening.

Speed cameras, red light cameras, corner cameras.........

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
this is not in a sub forum this is in the main forum. you have no clue what you are talking about. I dont agree with you so insult me... I never insulted you just dont agree. you just want everyone to agree and when they dont you get upset. read the comments friend im not the only one who thinks you are going over board with it.
why bother replying at all if you don't think it's a big deal?

i can't imagine many here would want their driving metrics turned into their insurance company. i'd be fawked.

911 operator checking on me when my airbags have deployed = cool

insurance going up because i chose to hit 115 while passing a 4 vehicle caravan that can't drive the speed limit = not cool

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Gotta disagree. It is far from pointless. There are lots of measures that individuals can take to prevent intrusive tracking without going to extremes. Most people don't learn or apply the basics, nor are the basics taught in our schools. They are taught and applied in some countries though. Also, with a basic understanding, we (the American public) would be more likely to demand limits be placed on companies and the government.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.