Sponsored

Ford is spying on you and sharing your personal information [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
The math is straightforward but there's at least the matter of keeping all of the toll machines synchronized every moment of every day.

Norm
True.
The math is straightforward but there's at least the matter of keeping all of the toll machines synchronized every moment of every day.

Norm
Yes,
No schooling, no work, no Social Security number, no taxes, no medical care. Damn, now Iā€™m getting paranoid. Where the hell is the aluminum foil? šŸ˜³

1613409307372.png
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
That's an excellent point Mike. We are so concerned about little old Ford spying on us what about our dear, dear friends in China, Russia, Iran, Iraq, and who knows where else.
Our ex wifes top the list ............... :clap: :crackup:

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't even read it, right? Not even enough to try to make me look bad for not knowing what a "new header" might be.
https://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=mustang+new+headers

I wasn't going to point this out before, but in the spirit of "what goes around, comes around" that's the first time I've seen "brake" used where "break" really was the right word.

Norm
Good job. A+ gold star for you. Now lets talk about the actual topic.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I know what headers are. Well enough to never use a search engine to help me find them. Between 'google' and 'IT professional' (and no further context), your post read like you were talking about something specific to the IT world that I would not know anything about.

Closer to the actual topic, there's no need for google to know anything about me that I'd rather not share either. No different from not wanting Ford to know any more about me than the fact that I bought a car they built and that they got paid the agreed-upon amount for it.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Guys, you know we can hear both of you...........
Yeah. And on that note: words are cheap. Instead of giving virtual gold stars, send some PayPal love.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I know what headers are. Well enough to never use a search engine to help me find them. Between 'google' and 'IT professional' (and no further context), your post read like you were talking about something specific to the IT world that I would not know anything about.

Closer to the actual topic, there's no need for google to know anything about me that I'd rather not share either. No different from not wanting Ford to know any more about me than the fact that I bought a car they built and that they got paid the agreed-upon amount for it.

Norm
Part of my point was that I agree with that point of view, however, Ford is providing a product and it is 100% on your to determine if you want that product or not. You cannot be a customer but also dictate what the vendor sells. If you don't like the goods, go to another vendor who's goods you prefer. It's a pretty simple concept tbh.

As far as the other element, I was simply stating that Ford is tracking basically nothing in comparison to services people use on a daily basis. Have an iPhone? Anything you search on your iPhone uses Google's back end to find. If that is the case, you have opted into Google's services and if not explicitly opted, their tracking and ad services as well. Have an Android? That should be obvious.

As an example, if you use Google maps, Google is always tracking your location and I mean generally always. That's how the traffic data, for example, is generated. Not by satellite, but by tracking aggregation of the devices on public roads. You can opt out of using Google maps, but most people wont.

Furthermore, what companies do with your data isn't always malicious or nefarious and it's a waste of energy to think that it is. I would be more concerned about who is purchasing data rather than who is collecting it. Generally, for example with Google, this is compiled in larger data sets and are simply used as food for larger data-crunching activities such as tracking if 50 year old men shop at Target on Sundays while it's raining. In most cases, these are used to send you target ads as being the absolute most malicious thing Google is doing.

All in all, you have a choice. You can opt in, you can opt out. You can exercise your right to choose by not buying Ford products.

Here's some helpful links for those who care to understand more about their privacy with Ford as well as some other cool and useful things I use.

For Ford privacy concerns:
Ford Privacy Policy
FordPass Privacy Policy

For Google privacy concerns:
Google Privacy Checkup - Here you can opt out of personalized ads, set location data deletion intervals, etc.
Google Ad Settings

VPN for those who are particularly privacy minded:
The Best VPN Services for 2021 - I personally use Nord.

For those who don't care much and are actually interested in the data:
Google Location Timeline

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Part of my point was that I agree with that point of view, however, Ford is providing a product and it is 100% on your to determine if you want that product or not. You cannot be a customer but also dictate what the vendor sells. If you don't like the goods, go to another vendor who's goods you prefer. It's a pretty simple concept tbh.
The flip side is that this data mining is not a consumer part of any physical product especially once said data goes outside of Ford.

As far as the other element, I was simply stating that Ford is tracking basically nothing in comparison to services people use on a daily basis.
I'm aware that there's plenty of other tracking going on, but it still comes back to the idea that the individual ought to have at least some control over what gets collected, who collects it, and what they're allowed to do with it after that.

Have an iPhone? Anything you search on your iPhone uses Google's back end to find. If that is the case, you have opted into Google's services and if not explicitly opted, their tracking and ad services as well. Have an Android? That should be obvious.

As an example, if you use Google maps, Google is always tracking your location and I mean generally always. That's how the traffic data, for example, is generated. Not by satellite, but by tracking aggregation of the devices on public roads. You can opt out of using Google maps, but most people wont.
No smart phone here, just a basic flip phone. That's not out of any fear of being tracked, mainly it's because fancier phones don't offer me anything I'd use often enough and because they won't fit in the available pocket. Pay cash for most things because that's the way I've always lived. Refuse requests to track my location as they come up even though I only use a laptop for internet-related stuff and it rarely goes out of the house.

Furthermore, what companies do with your data isn't always malicious or nefarious and it's a waste of energy to think that it is. I would be more concerned about who is purchasing data rather than who is collecting it. Generally, for example with Google, this is compiled in larger data sets and are simply used as food for larger data-crunching activities such as tracking if 50 year old men shop at Target on Sundays while it's raining. In most cases, these are used to send you target ads as being the absolute most malicious thing Google is doing.
I get what you're saying, but if the data isn't being collected (or is blocked from being collected) then there isn't any data to be sold.

I'd say having to deal with advertising is itself a waste of time and energy 99% of the time. Targeted or otherwise.

All in all, you have a choice. You can opt in, you can opt out. You can exercise your right to choose by not buying Ford products.
All or nothing. My way or the highway from Ford's POV.

Here's some helpful links for those who care to understand more about their privacy with Ford as well as some other cool and useful things I use.

For Ford privacy concerns:
Ford Privacy Policy
FordPass Privacy Policy

For Google privacy concerns:
Google Privacy Checkup - Here you can opt out of personalized ads, set location data deletion intervals, etc.
Google Ad Settings

VPN for those who are particularly privacy minded:
The Best VPN Services for 2021 - I personally use Nord.

For those who don't care much and are actually interested in the data:
Google Location Timeline
I have opted out of a few things. Enough that images on certain newsletter pages no longer work, which is not a problem.

I will be looking through those links at some point. Thanks :thumbsup:

Norm

Last edited:

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The flip side is that this data mining is not a consumer part of any physical product especially once said data goes outside of Ford.
Data mining is completely legal and again, in the agreed upon privacy policy. They have every legal right to data mine while you use their products and services. The only state that allows users to opt out of implied agreements in relation to data privacy is California (big bad wolf for most ppl in these forums).

I'm aware that there's plenty of other tracking going on, but it still comes back to the idea that the individual ought to have at least some control over what gets collected, who collects it, and what they're allowed to do with it after that.
Again. You do. Even more powerfully so, you do with your dollar.

No smart phone here, just a basic flip phone. That's not out of any fear of being tracked, mainly it's because fancier phones don't offer me anything I'd use often enough and because they won't fit in the available pocket. Pay cash for most things because that's the way I've always lived. Refuse requests to track my location as they come up even though I only use a laptop for internet-related stuff and it rarely goes out of the house.
Then please realize that you're outside of the normal use-case on this. Most people are not going to live off the grid, as you are doing, and thus need advice that match the way their most likely to use it.

I get what you're saying, but if the data isn't being collected (or is blocked from being collected) then there isn't any data to be sold.

I'd say having to deal with advertising is itself a waste of time and energy 99% of the time. Targeted or otherwise.
There's always data being collected, digital or otherwise. Even when not using a digital means, for example, when you go to purchase your vehicle, there are data and statistics being drawn from that interaction such as zip code purchased, cost of vehicle, purchase type, etc.

That is a fact of the data-driven world we live in now. If you don't want to have your data mined, you are 100% within your rights to do that. But going off the grid is a far greater commitment than you think, even when you've got location services turned off.

That's not to say that we should all just give up our privacy. It is to say, however, that information is king and that's a 2 way street. Know what you're signing up for, know how your data is being used, and know when that usage agreement is being violated.

As the vendor, I would do exactly the same thing. Ford's one and only job is to make money and figure out ways to make more of it every day. They don't owe us anything.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Which year mustangs have this? How would I know if my car does this?
FordPass Connect started in 2018. In Mustangs it started in 2019 but only on the 201A/401A packages (except the Bullitt). In 2020 it became standard on all models.
Guess I don't have to worry about Big Brother on my 2015. šŸ‘

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Very simple to turn off the modem. Also, simply turn off auto updates, etc.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still lmao over this whole thread. There is no way to stay off the grid now days unless one pays cash, has no phone. Does not use the internet. Walks or rides a bicycle everywhere and, lives in a tent in the woods as a squatter. No mail, nothing ..............
Ted Kaczynski was ahead of the times. šŸ˜³

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The monitoring and data sharing will only multiply by 1000ā€™s of times in next 5-10 years. Your future insurance policy is going to be connected to your cars information on how you drive. lol...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.