Sponsored

Ford GT350/R First Rides/Reviews Thread(Updated First Drive Reviews on P.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
From another site quoting Kerry Baldori, Chief Functional Engineering, Global Performance Vehicles at Ford:

"We brought our GT350R and our GT350 Track Pack here at Grattan to do fair, back to back same day and same driver comparisons. The GT350R with the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires is equal to the 100th of a second as fast as the Porsche 911 GT3 and it is over a second quicker than the Z/28.

The base GT350 with Track Pack, which uses the Pilot Super Sport tire, is equal again, to within a 100th of a second to the Porsche Carerra and the Corvette C7 with the Z51 package."

that is damn impressive even if knowing ford they will not release official track times.....:headbang::ford:
Yep that confirms it, glad I ordered one. :thumbsup: :headbang:
Sponsored

sgkaffl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2011 STI
The R/GT3 comparison is cool because they have the same factory tires (as do the 350/C2S/C7, so maybe that's why they explicitly chose those cars), but overall the contact patch of the R is way bigger. Better potential weight distro on the R means it can use the larger front patch more effectively. I'd hedge a bet that the chassis dynamics of the GT3 are still better, lol.

I'd be FAR more interested to see the lap times of the R with non-r comp tires though, even compared to the standard 350. If you REALLY want to daily that thing, expect to put new fronts on every 6k miles and rears every 4, just based on what I've seen with PSCup2s. And that's with the N rated tires, the harder of the two. Also PSCup2s are SUPER lively in the rain. Downright dangerous, honestly. It's fast as hell but definitely not as real-world DD-able as the standard 350 is (from the factory), which is where my money would be if there was a reasonably priced allocation to be had around here.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
What is the Tech pack or Regular GT350 equal to? A 1LE Camaro? LOL

Last edited:

whatjones911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty Fast
I thought only the GT3RS comes with PSC2, and the regular GT3 comes with PSS no?

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
Is what is the Tech pack or Regular GT350 equal to? A 1LE Camaro? LOL
If you meant to ask if a GT350 of any sort is equal to a 1LE, the answer is a resounding NO!

The GT350 will simply annihilate the 1LE, but it does cost more. ;)

Keep in mind, the GT350 weighs less, has more than 100 additional hp, has better brakes and better suspension in general and is much better suited to race track use. If not for the impossible rear visibility from Camaro, I may prefer to DD the 1LE over GT350 anyway... I'd rather keep my good car in the garage. :ford:

PS Nothing against the 1LE itself. Frankly, it's an excellent handling car.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If you meant to ask if a GT350 of any sort is equal to a 1LE, the answer is a resounding NO!

The GT350 will simply annihilate the 1LE, but it does cost more. ;)

Keep in mind, the GT350 weighs less, has more than 100 additional hp, has better brakes and better suspension in general and is much better suited to race track use. If not for the impossible rear visibility from Camaro, I may prefer to DD the 1LE over GT350 anyway... I'd rather keep my good car in the garage. :ford:

PS Nothing against the 1LE itself. Frankly, it's an excellent handling car.
It was a joke, but they have only mentioned the GT350R and GT350 with Track Pack in comparisons. I'd like to see where the Tech pack and base GT350 are performance wise. The only info on the Tech Pack is from the SVTP article. They said it can handle a 20 minute track session and still drive home. I know there was some concern about its performance without the additional coolers.

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
All I care about and wanna know his the nurburgring lap times.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Someone mentioned chassis dynamics with the GT3. I had an '11 997.2 GT3 for about a year. I've had other 911's as well. Those cars feel like no other. When you're really giving the GT3 the berries hitting a turn hard and fast you can really feel that engine weight in the back. Personally if I'm being honest it made me feel nervous. They are bad ass cars for sure but feeling all that weight in the back is a white knuckler for me.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ford ran this car on the ring over a year ago, they did all the testing before the ban was imposed. :thumbsup:
And all those times were never published and likely never will. It was a preproduction test mule either way

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Never going to happen unless they lift the ban on timed runs
It's never going to happen anyway. Ford doesn't do "official" lap times at the Ring. We've been over this. There are no official Ring times.

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
It was a joke, but they have only mentioned the GT350R and GT350 with Track Pack in comparisons. I'd like to see where the Tech pack and base GT350 are performance wise. The only info on the Tech Pack is from the SVTP article. They said it can handle a 20 minute track session and still drive home. I know there was some concern about its performance without the additional coolers.
why would the tech pack perform any different becuase of coolers? i mean thats the only difference between it and the track pack. perhaps it cant be out on the track as long but a hot lap isnt an endurance race.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.