Ford GT vs ZR1 at Virginia International Raceway

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Now Back on topic, I could care less about a vette being faster then a GT.
GT= Real Super car
Vette= its just a Vette
Sponsored

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Honestly, I don't know how or more precisely why they do it. It is great for me as a buyer, but the high volume dealers selling 1SS1LE for $38K, 2SS1LE for $45K, Z51 for $52K, Grand Sports for $62K does not seem to be a good business.

I think the performance of these Ford and GM cars that we are discussing is incredible and world class. I think Ford is correct in trying to extract more $$$ from consumers for the performance. GM just seems to produce, produce, discount, discount.

I love GM's performance pricing. But I think Ford's pricing may be better for their business.

My other vehicle addiction is Jeeps. And boy Jeep knows how to extract every single penny they can from me and others for my Wrangler Rubicon. It is just a money machine. Compared to them, GM is just like Santa Claus when it comes to Corvette/Camaro pricing.
This is how the whole bankruptcy thing comes into play..... One makes money on selling cars and the other, well its happened once already. Just sayin!!

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
So the Corvette is faster for 1 lap. What happens after lap 5, Is heat going to slow it down? or does it also have 12 coolers, I would imagine even with the cooling it will slow down some? Thoughts?

Sponsored

LateBrakeU2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST DD, 350R, 15 Z/28
1.4 seconds quicker and 350k less,just keepin it real since noone else brought up price point.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
So the Corvette is faster for 1 lap. What happens after lap 5, Is heat going to slow it down? or does it also have 12 coolers, I would imagine even with the cooling it will slow down some? Thoughts?
The Vette actually has 13 heat exchangers. I think the likelihood of a massively turbocharged mid-rear car overheating is much, much greater than a supercharged front-mid car overheating.

Everyone who designs or races mid-rear engine cars know how tough it is to manage and get rid of heat. And turbocharging just makes it that much more challenging. Remember what a turbo does - loops a portion of extra hot exhaust gases back into the engine (turbine).

Quinten33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, lol
There’s a LOT of disrespect going on here. The Corvette ZR1 and Ford GT are both insanely high performing vehicles that are hard to dislike. The GT is built by a racecar manufacturer and is designed from the ground up to tear apart racetracks. The Cabin is narrow and uncomfortable, the tires are expensive and short-lived, and the car has canyons worth of space to direct airflow. The ZR1 is an evolution of a sports car. It has aerodynamics designed alongside Pratt & Miller(Shop that builds the C7.R), a 2650cc blower, the same tires, carbon Ceramics, and thirteen heat exchangers. The ZR1 was not engineered from the ground up to set record lap times and actually comes on GM’s comfortable Magnetic dampers.. While the GT is limited in production and will hold its value for decades, the ZR1 is an open-production hand-built car. You may think that the ZR1 will tank in value and barely sell in the first place, but one look at a corvette forum shows that people have been lining up to get one for over a year. With the mid-engine corvette on the way, front engine Corvettes will hold their value.

The lap times were both set during testing of the vehicles. While the ZR1 did have a harness bar, harnesses, and Recaro seats, these are all GM safety protocols and the ZR1 competition seats actually weigh less. The Ford GT has a built in roll cage and is made of Carbon fiber, so it is far safer from the factory. A Ford GT racecar Driver set the GT lap while a suspension engineer set the ZR1 lap time. Both cars use the same tires and the ZR1 actually has better, higher temperature brakes. The ZR1’s front and hood were designed to keep it cool and the chief engineer promises no overheating will occur. Keep in mind that the GT uses a Twin-Turbo in-line 6, and is made of carbon fiber, yet it still weighs over 3,400lbs. The ZR1 weighs just 3560lbs with a supercharged V8 and an Aluminum structure. The GT has a lot less engine to keep cool, but it also makes horrible noises. The ZR1’s LT5 is music to the ears of America. The ZR1 should outrun the GT over the course of a long run. The ZR1’s tires will wear and make the car hard to control on exit, but the GT’s brakes will fade and the tires will also be bad, making it a close match.

These are two completely different cars that are both amazing and insanely fast, and anyone who can’t respect that needs to wake up. GM has far better engineering than Ford, but Ford is better at making cars feel special. If some of you want to hate on the Corvette and GM as a whole, just wait until the mid-engine Corvette comes out.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
There’s a LOT of disrespect going on here. The Corvette ZR1 and Ford GT are both insanely high performing vehicles that are hard to dislike. The GT is built by a racecar manufacturer and is designed from the ground up to tear apart racetracks. The Cabin is narrow and uncomfortable, the tires are expensive and short-lived, and the car has canyons worth of space to direct airflow. The ZR1 is an evolution of a sports car. It has aerodynamics designed alongside Pratt & Miller(Shop that builds the C7.R), a 2650cc blower, the same tires, carbon Ceramics, and thirteen heat exchangers. The ZR1 was not engineered from the ground up to set record lap times and actually comes on GM’s comfortable Magnetic dampers.. While the GT is limited in production and will hold its value for decades, the ZR1 is an open-production hand-built car. You may think that the ZR1 will tank in value and barely sell in the first place, but one look at a corvette forum shows that people have been lining up to get one for over a year. With the mid-engine corvette on the way, front engine Corvettes will hold their value.

The lap times were both set during testing of the vehicles. While the ZR1 did have a harness bar, harnesses, and Recaro seats, these are all GM safety protocols and the ZR1 competition seats actually weigh less. The Ford GT has a built in roll cage and is made of Carbon fiber, so it is far safer from the factory. A Ford GT racecar Driver set the GT lap while a suspension engineer set the ZR1 lap time. Both cars use the same tires and the ZR1 actually has better, higher temperature brakes. The ZR1’s front and hood were designed to keep it cool and the chief engineer promises no overheating will occur. Keep in mind that the GT uses a Twin-Turbo in-line 6, and is made of carbon fiber, yet it still weighs over 3,400lbs. The ZR1 weighs just 3560lbs with a supercharged V8 and an Aluminum structure. The GT has a lot less engine to keep cool, but it also makes horrible noises. The ZR1’s LT5 is music to the ears of America. The ZR1 should outrun the GT over the course of a long run. The ZR1’s tires will wear and make the car hard to control on exit, but the GT’s brakes will fade and the tires will also be bad, making it a close match.

These are two completely different cars that are both amazing and insanely fast, and anyone who can’t respect that needs to wake up. GM has far better engineering than Ford, but Ford is better at making cars feel special. If some of you want to hate on the Corvette and GM as a whole, just wait until the mid-engine Corvette comes out.
Exactly, Ones a True Racecar and ones Partbin special Corvette, Just like the Camaro's. Chevrolet can try all they want but a Supercar is special, Mid Engine Corvette or not, its still a corvette. It can be cool fast etc.... but again its just a vette. Ford GT are special, same year Corvette ZO6,ZR1, ZRL1 or even ZR1LE LOL are mass produced chassis cars and no matter how well they perform it wont matter when it comes to how these cars are view in the market place.

What is it you mean that GM has better engineering?

Look at the f150,Raptor....NO GM ?
what about the Focus RS .... Is Ford Behind there?
what about the new navigator/expedition. vs Suburban/Escalade
Fusion Sport again chevy ?
Fiesta ST vs
Explorer Sport vs
Edge Sport I own one and that thing is fast AWD Turbo....
Ford GT
GT350 NA Voodoo badass that is still commanding ADM to this day!
2018 Mustang GT

Im not sure what your looking at maybe alpha?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Quinten33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, lol
Exactly, Ones a True Racecar and ones Partbin special Corvette, Just like the Camaro's. Chevrolet can try all they want but a Supercar is special, Mid Engine Corvette or not, its still a corvette. It can be cool fast etc.... but again its just a vette. Ford GT are special, same year Corvette ZO6,ZR1, ZRL1 or even ZR1LE LOL are mass produced chassis cars and no matter how well they perform it wont matter when it comes to how these cars are view in the market place.

What is it you mean that GM has better engineering?
Look at the f150,Raptor....NO GM ?
what about the Focus RS .... Is Ford Behind there?
what about the new navigator/expedition. vs Suburban/Escalade
Fusion Sport again chevy ?
Fiesta RS
Explorer Sport
Edge Sport I own one and that thing is fast AWD Turbo....
Ford GT
2018 Mustang GT

Im not sure what your looking at maybe alpha?
Well, yeah, the alpha is leagues above the S550 chassis. The CTS and ATS are known as some of the best handling sedans on the market. The Camaro team took that a step further and beat supercars around racetracks with only 455hp and a 6-Speed. One lap in a mustang GT and you’ll notice right away that the suspension tuning is far worse and the chassis flexes a lot more. GM can squeeze 455hp out of an engine that uses a design from the 60’s. Ford gets 460hp out of an engine with far more moving parts, a 1500 rpm higher redline, and similar gas Mileage.

GM actually has made world class hot hatches for other markets, but they never brought them to America because the market for them wasn’t big. After selling Opel and Vauxhall, GM probably won’t introduce another hot hatch. The Raptor is an amazing truck and GM is working on a direct competitor as we speak. The Colorado ZR2 is the best off-road pickup on the market though. With dual locking differentials, DSSV spoil valve shocks, and Goodyear Duratracs, is can tackle most terrain with ease. There’s already a few ZR2 owners near me that have switched over from Jeeps because of its capabilities. Let’s be honest: how many people will take their raptor to a desert?

Ford is excellent at making performance SUVs, but GM is better at making their regular SUVs drive and handle well. GMCs and Buicks are well known for smooth and comfortable rides with little body roll and exceptional steering response.

Ford is focusing on performance cars, which is cool, but they’re also parts bin cars. It’s the best way to make them affordable. Is there anything wrong with a parts bin car? Porsche doesn’t seem to think so. Ford is about to axe their passenger cars anyways, so they might as well send them off well.

It’s not hard to toss a turbo 4 cylinder or turbo 6 into a car and make it go fast though. It is hard to make cars that handle, ride, and hold up as well as they go fast in a straight line. I’m not knocking Ford Performance, just saying that GM takes performance a bit more seriously. You could argue that FCA has a better performance lineup than Ford actually:

Durango R/T and SRT
Challenger and Charger R/T, SRT, Scat Pack, Hellcat, Demon
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and trailhawk
Renegade Trailhawk
Cherokee Trailhawk
Jeep Wrangler and Rubicon
Ram Rebel
Ram Power Wagon
Alfa Giulia Quadrifolglio
Alfa Stelvio Quadrifolglio
Fiat 124 Abarth
Fiat 500 Abarth

There’s plenty of amazing vehicles out there from every manufacturer, why can’t people just accept that and not hate on cars simply because they don’t like them? I thought Camaro6 was bad but this place is three times worse.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Well, yeah, the alpha is leagues above the S550 chassis. The CTS and ATS are known as some of the best handling sedans on the market. The Camaro team took that a step further and beat supercars around racetracks with only 455hp and a 6-Speed. One lap in a mustang GT and you’ll notice right away that the suspension tuning is far worse and the chassis flexes a lot more. GM can squeeze 455hp out of an engine that uses a design from the 60’s. Ford gets 460hp out of an engine with far more moving parts, a 1500 rpm higher redline, and similar gas Mileage. Ill give you the Alpha Here but Ford and GM's approach on selling Mustang and Camaro are different. not everyone wants a hardocre track harsh ride. Lets see what PP2 Brings , both engines have their plus and minus, however a turbo coyote still rules the streets.

GM actually has made world class hot hatches for other markets, but they never brought them to America because the market for them wasn’t big. After selling Opel and Vauxhall, GM probably won’t introduce another hot hatch. The Raptor is an amazing truck and GM is working on a direct competitor as we speak. The Colorado ZR2 is the best off-road pickup on the market though. With dual locking differentials, DSSV spoil valve shocks, and Goodyear Duratracs, is can tackle most terrain with ease. There’s already a few ZR2 owners near me that have switched over from Jeeps because of its capabilities. Let’s be honest: how many people will take their raptor to a desert? Really Raptor not in the desert? WTF are you smoking!!! Are you kidding me Colorado? LOL Get outta here. Raptor Hands Down!!

Ford is excellent at making performance SUVs, but GM is better at making their regular SUVs drive and handle well. GMCs and Buicks are well known for smooth and comfortable rides with little body roll and exceptional steering response. The Expedition is getting rave reviews and will smoke an Escalde, so i dont agree the tech edge is advanatge Gm anymore and Lincoln too just won that NA Truck of the year Award.

Ford is focusing on performance cars, which is cool, but they’re also parts bin cars. It’s the best way to make them affordable. Is there anything wrong with a parts bin car? Porsche doesn’t seem to think so. Ford is about to axe their passenger cars anyways, so they might as well send them off well. Parts Bins cars are like team camaro advancing performance through its granddaddy corvette and Cadillac divisions receiving the same parts. Im not to sure how many parts from the GT are on the Gt350 or the RS etc, but is guess extremely minimal.

It’s not hard to toss a turbo 4 cylinder or turbo 6 into a car and make it go fast though. It is hard to make cars that handle, ride, and hold up as well as they go fast in a straight line. I’m not knocking Ford Performance, just saying that GM takes performance a bit more seriously. You could argue that FCA has a better performance lineup than Ford actually:See now your turning the tables, LOL But again where are the GM equivalent Performance models that you lay claim to the superiority of GM performance engineering to back up your statement?

Durango R/T and SRT
Challenger and Charger R/T, SRT, Scat Pack, Hellcat, Demon
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and trailhawk
Renegade Trailhawk
Cherokee Trailhawk
Jeep Wrangler and Rubicon
Ram Rebel
Ram Power Wagon
Alfa Giulia Quadrifolglio
Alfa Stelvio Quadrifolglio
Fiat 124 Abarth
Fiat 500 Abarth

There’s plenty of amazing vehicles out there from every manufacturer, why can’t people just accept that and not hate on cars simply because they don’t like them? I thought Camaro6 was bad but this place is three times worse.
Like I have said in previous threads, My Family and I got burnt by GM at one point, caused us a lot of money,time and heartache and will never go back to GM again, Sorry that's just the way it is, now owning a F150, Stang and Edge Sport I see why Ford is better. You can call me a Hater all you want and I'm fine with that. I find it funny you reference cam6, Lame.:gossip:

StangLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The Pinto HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Is that all you have is the Fuck*# pinto. Get real man that was way long ago. "THE PINTO" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I don't see Ford trying to do that in modern times like GM. I have owned GM vehicles and have been burned before bye them.
*Ford Explorer rollovers*

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Let me guess then all the new mustangs are all ringers too because even though they are rated 460 hp they seem to have 500 hp crank from the dynos. That is not a good logic! Come up with a better excuse!
you have no logic,look at the video clueless one.:lol::ford:
Sponsored