Sponsored

Ford fined in Australia re: Mach 1

Deleted member 35644

I guess I don't get why they're being forced to refund buyers when these items wouldn't be present on the window sticker. Or were they? The window sticker itemizes what you're paying for, whether it's included as standard, or it's in an option package. So they made a mistake in a brochure....can't believe that's fine-worthy. Maybe AUS is getting as litigious as the US.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I agree, seems to me that the government just wants their "pound of flesh" too. Couple things that stuck out to me from the article.

They addressed it with the customers who affected.

"Ford Australia ultimately offers owners a full refund, $5,400 ($4,012 USD) in cash back, or three years of free service visits"

Also that these mistakes leading to buyers missing out or getting less than expected.

"This past summer, Ford Authority reported that FoMoCo made a few errors in its 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 promotional materials in Australia, claiming that the pony car was equipped with a Torsen limited-slip differential, Reverse Sensing System, and Adaptive Cruise Control."

“We allege Ford made serious mistakes in its brochures outlining the features of the more expensive Mustang Mach 1, resulting in false claims being made to consumers in breach of the Australian Consumer Law,” said ACCC Chair Rod Sims. “The performance characteristics of the Ford Mustang Mach 1 were an important selling point, so these claims about key features of the Mach 1 vehicle may have led some consumers to buy the car who may otherwise have opted to purchase another vehicle.”

I have a hard time believe people buying a Mach 1 really care or would consider the reverse sensing systems or adaptive cruise control as "key features" from a "performance characteristics" standpoint. You could make an argument for the Torsen limited-slip though.

OP
OP
trackd

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Wonder why the Torsen is not avail there, that's a very valuable traction feature I bet all Mach 1 buyers would want, regardless of where? Ford is responsible for all those inaccuracies, they are not trivial. Plus the premiums paid for the M1. I wonder how many Mach 1s were sold already in Aus.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I guess I don't get why they're being forced to refund buyers when these items wouldn't be present on the window sticker. Or were they? The window sticker itemizes what you're paying for, whether it's included as standard, or it's in an option package. So they made a mistake in a brochure....can't believe that's fine-worthy. Maybe AUS is getting as litigious as the US.
Because in other parts of the world you don't just step into a dealership, choose a car and drive it home. In most non-US markets cars are built to order. The brochure and web site are the only ways of knowing what you're ordering. Waiting between six and nine months for a car you've already paid, only to receive something else, isn't exactly the most pleasant experience, to say the least.

I applaud the Aussies for standing their ground and not allowing Ford to get away with it. Over here brochures are also full of errors, but when you point them out all you get from Ford Romania is a middle finger. I wish we had laws like these.

Last edited:

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Adaptive cruise is a must have for long drives. I would reject the car if delivered without.
US versions of the Mach 1 do not have adaptive cruise control and can not be ordered.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
No version has it. It is a design feature.
Correct but the person I was replying to stated he would reject the vehicle if delivered without, implying he thought some Mach 1's had it.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
The window sticker itemizes what you're paying for, whether it's included as standard, or it's in an option package. So they made a mistake in a brochure....can't believe that's fine-worthy.
Export cars have no window sticker, or rather customer doesn't get it. And Mach 1's were blindly offered months/year before delivery. You see all the bitching about minus 10 hp for 2022? How would you feel if Ford didn't announce this beforehand and had an error in your order guide/build and price?

You could make an argument for the Torsen limited-slip though.
That's what they're mostly pissed about. It was known here as soon as November 2020 that export markets won't have Torsen. But their brochure said they would so they were hopeful. After all they get higher power than EU export cars. The premium on Mach 1 that Australians have was higher than in EU so this is a small satisfaction. And for the money they can put it in if they want to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Correct but the person I was replying to stated he would reject the vehicle if delivered without, implying he thought some Mach 1's had it.
clearly he is a brochure victim LOL

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Because in other parts of the world you don't just step into a dealership, choose a car and drive it home. In most non-US markets cars are built to order. The brochure and web site are the only ways of knowing what you're ordering. Waiting between six and nine months for a car you've already paid, only to receive something else, isn't exactly the most pleasant experience, to say the least.

I applaud the Aussies for standing their ground and not allowing Ford to get away with it. Over here brochures are also full of errors, but when you point them out all you get from Ford Romania is a middle finger. I wish we had laws like these.
THIS!!
A buyer reads the brochure and expects the EQUIPMENT listed, This isn't a 20k car, it is $$$ and Just because you might not care that it is missing the adaptive cruise or parking sensors, and diff. the customer thought he/she was getting it and in their mind it helped eating the high buy in to get a Mach1 . Then the car shows up with out those items, As a customer, I'd be asking myself what ELSE is missing, ?

I find it sad that some here say no big deal, but if their car order came without some thing they checked off the option list would walk away from the deal or ask for a much better deal on the car because it is not as ordered.
Sorry, If ford could not be bothered having a person proof read it, and fact check the sales material, they should get called out for it.
Frankly Ford should be forces to buy the units back if the customer isn't happy they paid a prem, price for a car with out the prem, features.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
It was known here as soon as November 2020 that export markets won't have Torsen.
Well, I did not know and the brochure did not say...

In Czech brochure, which I believe fairly mimics the other European (German) ones there are only two Mustang models available: GT and Mach 1. (Fun fact, I just downloaded the brochure for 2022 and GT is only available with 10 sp. auto.)

It says what are the highlights of GT and then adds the difference: "On top of GT with Mach 1 you will get..." and "compared to GT you will not get" (which is a bit funny too, advertising top of the line model with features you will not get compared to the base one).
In the latter category there are 3 items: no reverse sensing, no LED fog lights and no ACC.
These are the things which you (can) get even with the Euro version of Mustang GT.

What I find unfortunate and for me personally was a disappointment when I learned that there were features which US version had but Euro version did not have. Of course I could read the brochure and there clearly was no mention of:
- memory seat
- dashboard gauges
- Torsen 3:73 (there is no mention of particular diff type or gear ratio in EU materials anyway)
- BLIS
but, naĂŻve as I was, looking at all the vids coming to YT at the beginning of this year, which accidentally were all coming from the US because no one in Europe had seen Mach 1 at that time so far, I simply assumed that when buying the highest trim, all that will be included as well.

The only thing I was well aware of was that EU version had 460 hp because this was the one difference Ford diffused in the media, the other differences they did not.

I believe this is a problem of the global market and that Ford simply ignores the fact that the "unofficial" information (e.g. YT reviews, forums, etc.) are accessible from everywhere and the official information often feels like they are muddying the situation rather than clarifying it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Adaptive cruise is a must have for long drives. I would reject the car if delivered without.
Not just long drives. I use it virtually all the time. There is just as much if not more speed variation in traffic on local streets.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Not just long drives. I use it virtually all the time. There is just as much if not more speed variation in traffic on local streets.
I don't use it on local streets, as the traffic is heavy most of the time so cruise control is useless.
We rented a P.O.S. in Atlanta for a long 6 hour drive and it had the adaptive cruise. It was heaven. oly good part of that pos rouge Nissan pyle. but after that day, any vehile I'd drive any long highway trip. I'd want it. need it, no, not really, but want it. yup. The old cruise control, I'd always set lower than flow of traffic to keep from having to turn it on and off. the active, you don't have to do that you can set it at flow of traffic. and set it and leave it on. no hitting the brake pedal, then throttle then resetting it to on.
Sponsored