Ford factory speakers, omg!

Len

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I just upgraded to new speakers (doors and rear deck) on my '19 EB Premium (9 spkr). I was floored when I saw the factory speakers -tiny magnets, paper cones. Pics below.. No wonder the system sounded so awful.
Audio guy also told me the door 6.5"s are basically set up as subwoofers, not midrange.

Sound has gone from awful to decent. Best its gonna get without major $.

I'm new to Mustangs, just a bit surprised and thought I'd share.

20201012_135735.jpg

20201012_135720.jpg
Sponsored

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised because the magnets in my 2020 EB Prem HPP 9 Speakers System (not B&O) are quite a bit different.
Stk Woofer 2.jpg
Stk Woofer.jpg

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The B&O speakers are pretty good (except the woeful sub and centre speaker)Just upgrading the sub made a huge difference for me.

The 9 speaker setup is pretty cheap and not very cheerful

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just upgraded to new speakers (doors and rear deck) on my '19 EB Premium (9 spkr). I was floored when I saw the factory speakers -tiny magnets, paper cones. Pics below.. No wonder the system sounded so awful.
Audio guy also told me the door 6.5"s are basically set up as subwoofers, not midrange.

20201012_135735.jpg

20201012_135720.jpg
Is the woofer in your photo out of the door or rear deck? The rear speaker in my EB looks like the one in your photo but the one out of my door has a bigger magnet.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Lol you should have heard the speakers in my '88 LX. Like listening to a transistor radio from the '40s. My '89 Bronco II had a decent stereo from factory. Never understood why Ford does that with the Mustangs, but it's always kind of been a thing.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
S550 Mustangs have Neodymium Magnets on the rear deck speakers but conventional ferrite magnets on the door midbasses. In the Premium audio system the midrange also uses a Neodymium magnet. It is very strange indeed.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
is that because of the take-off on the AMP has a bypass filter on it? Or because there is a filter somewhere in the door that splits the input to tweeter (A-pillar) and door? I have the 6-speaker system and bought some 6.5" speakers and was going to put them in the door. But do I now need to defeat factory meddling?

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Shogun,
I have a 2020 wiring schematic that shows the woofer and tweeter on the same channel. It also says the woofer is full range, I don't believe that is entirely true because when I tried to connect a woofer / tweeter crossover to the woofer plug the tweeter would not work. I can barely here vocals out of the woofer so there is some frequency processing going on somewhere. I ended up just replacing the woofer without the crossover and connecting the crossover to the tweeter wiring in the pillar.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'm not as smart on the 2018-2020 Mustangs, but on the 15-17s that have the Premium systems, the factory amp applies an EQ to all channels and a bass roll-off to the rears. You have to turn that off using Forscan if you want true, unmolested output.

That said, the factory EQ is designed to work with the factory speakers. Sometimes people replace the speakers and leave the factory EQ and it sounds better, sometimes worse. If going full active, E.G. swapping out the speakers and adding amps, you absolutely need to turn off all factory processing using Forscan if you want a shot at good sound. All aftermarket amps have crossovers built in and many even have some form of DSP/EQ built in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Len

Len

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
Is the woofer in your photo out of the door or rear deck? The rear speaker in my EB looks like the one in your photo but the one out of my door has a bigger magnet.
Rear deck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Len

Len

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
is that because of the take-off on the AMP has a bypass filter on it? Or because there is a filter somewhere in the door that splits the input to tweeter (A-pillar) and door? I have the 6-speaker system and bought some 6.5" speakers and was going to put them in the door. But do I now need to defeat factory meddling?
Wish I knew. Was unable to replace the door speakers as a result however.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The B&O speakers are pretty good (except the woeful sub and centre speaker)Just upgrading the sub made a huge difference for me.

The 9 speaker setup is pretty cheap and not very cheerful
What sub did you upgrade to from the B&O one?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10

20201012_135735.jpg

20201012_135720.jpg
Would you mind sharing what speakers you installed?

OP
OP
Len

Len

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
Would you mind sharing what speakers you installed?
I wish I knew. The audio place I went to didn’t give me the boxes for the new speakers and I forgot to ask.
Sponsored