Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
In an interview with Ford's European Sales and Market Chief, Roelant de Waard, regarding the highly anticipated 2015 Mustang, he told AOL Cars that the rumored s550 Mustang "would be a muscle car through and through," but would not go as far as to commit to a v8 Mustang being available when it arrives in the UK. Regarding the Mustang's iconic status here in the U.S., American customers may be relieved to hear that:

[W]e have said we are not going to European-ise the Mustang with a hybrid or anything like that. This will be a muscle car through and through. Part of the deal with the U.S. letting us have one of their icons was that we kept our hands off it and that it had to be a 'proper' Mustang, so it will be.
When asked what changes would come to the next Mustang, the Ford executive responded:

Anything I say will be misinterpreted. On one hand, I think there are certain aspects of the Mustang brand that are sacred and on the other there are some that can change, like the F150... being really successful with an EcoBoost engine.
The latter comment should be no surprise with rumors abound that the 50th Anniversary Mustang will likely be available in Ford's turbo four-cylinder EcoBoost engine.

de Waard also responded to Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson's recent mocking of Ford's decision to fit a EcoBoost four-cylinder in the muscle car for Europe. He said that the last thing he wanted to do was "make Clarkson unhappy." "I don't think anyone can pretend they know how to keep Jeremy happy, but I sure hope we do with the new Mustang," he added.

[Source: AOL Cars UK]
Sponsored

hawkeye

The european ford execs are out and talking in full force lately about the new Stang huh? Looks like they've all been well coached to not say anything crazy to scare Mustang loyalists in the states. Smart.

OKCfan

Interestng that Ford US made Ford Europe promise that they wouldn't change it at all so the essence of the s550 Mustang would be intact. Ford knows what American muscle car fans want and won't tolerate... The S550 is sounding more and more promising!

And I'm surprised they drive pick up trucks in Europe :eek:

Ted

Good! worst thing ford can do is forget that the car is a muscle car after all and soften it up or make it too euro in trying to get more sales in europe. this better not just be lip service they better come thru on it.

Prodigy

Man who cares what Clarkson thinks? :crazy: Anyone watch that topgear episode with the GT500? U think he's ever going to like a Stang? Feck no.

In fact, if Ford actually designs one he likes, I thnk we're all in trouble.

Sponsored

Mach1

Man who cares what Clarkson thinks? :crazy: Anyone watch that topgear episode with the GT500? U think he's ever going to like a Stang? Feck no.

Yeah I saw that... no biggy. Did you see the regular folks reactions tho? People were gawking and taking pics at every stop. Nothing like the scream of that supercharged v8 to get everyone's attention.

New here btw, nice site :cheers:

OKCfan

The man can be funny sometimes but American cars get shafted whenever its on that show. :frusty::mad:

Krishna

Yeah so he prefers cars that are more refined that cost 2-3x as much.. (like pitting the Lexus LFA vs. the Viper) .... real shocker!

He's doing cross country highway drive in a gt500 and talking about his body feeling like mush afterwards... the cars were never meant to be driven like that esp with the mpg.

I'll agree tho that it wouldnt hurt if Ford could up the comfort level in mustangs altho I would still like to feel the engine. We're not driving bentleys afterall.

groundnpounder

I'll agree tho that it wouldnt hurt if Ford could up the comfort level in mustangs altho I would still like to feel the engine. We're not driving bentleys afterall.
Be careful what you wish for. Comfort level and Muscle cars may not go well together. A muscle car should be a little rough around the edges and you should be able to feel the rumble in your seats and steering wheel. And if what this guy says about the S550 being a muscle car through and through then they better not nerf the feel of the car from the driver seat too much or at all.

Instead of more comfort, I wish for more quality.

Mach1

Why can't we have both comfort and muscle? Camaro does this better than the Mustang i hate to say. You may sacrifice a little bit of fun, but its worth it esp if you wanna use it as DD like me.

Does a muscle car have to mean you feel like you're driving a hotrod?
Sponsored