Sponsored

Ford ECU update that reduces piston slap?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The TSB is clear and concise. Has nothnot to due with engine performance.
You're right. But - and it's a big but - it looks like rather than just making a single change to fix the original 2016 calibration, that fix appears to be part of an overall revision to the production calibration that went into new cars produced after July 1 2017. If cars produced before July 2017 have the problem, the new revision can be installed to fix it. The happy byproduct of getting the fix this way is that any other changes to the engine calibration are included. From Ford's standpoint, it's easier to do this because the revised software is homologated already, whereas a single point fix for the original version would require special qualification testing to make sure that it doesn't accidentally screw up emissions or something else that matters.

One thing to be clear on is that the new calibration doesn't make more torque or power than the old one. It just is smoother in delivering it particularly down low. It's not more powerful, it's just more refined.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I see your point. However this has been around for a while. How did this become a performance enhancement? Someone convinced themselves that the car was running better because of it and then the grapevine effect. I actually have had several issues with the valve sticking and locking me out of drive modes. I will be taking it into the dealer to have this flashed are the ECU but I am not expecting any performance gains whatsoever.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
After more evaluation the slap is mostly gone, I almost exclusively only hear it when I’m pulling back or coming off of throttle with a cooler motor and even then it’s only for a few rpms. I rarely hear it when fully warm. There’s definitely more pep in the 2500-3500 rpm range. I found myself not shifting down to fourth to get moving like I usually do. The torque bump at 3500 seems to be smoothed out a bit with more low end. I could be imagining things but that’s how it feels.

As for you guys going in to have yours updated, I begged my guy to do it and he said that Ford wouldn’t let him update these cars other than for the complaint specified in the TSB, so he wrote down the service order as if I was complaining about frozen actuators or whatever. So just asking for it gets you nowhere. I guess my service associate was placating me after I complain constantly about oil consumption.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Mine is a 10/17 and no slap or ticking. My oil was low half of quart @ 4500 oil change and same @ 9000. Currently I have 9500 miles.

Pakman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Has anyone else been able to get their dealer to update their ECU? Will calling and telling them you have this specific TSB problem (exhaust mode selection not available) get them just to update it even if they can't recreate it? Or will they only do it if it actually shows up on the instrument panel like the TSB says?

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
After more evaluation the slap is mostly gone, I almost exclusively only hear it when I’m pulling back or coming off of throttle with a cooler motor and even then it’s only for a few rpms. I rarely hear it when fully warm. There’s definitely more pep in the 2500-3500 rpm range. I found myself not shifting down to fourth to get moving like I usually do. The torque bump at 3500 seems to be smoothed out a bit with more low end. I could be imagining things but that’s how it feels...
That's pretty much my experience too. You're not imagining it. Something else that you'll notice is that the engine sounds and runs smoother through the lower half of the rev range as well. It took me a couple of weeks of driving to notice it. And you can actually drive in 6th at 60 MPH without the engine feeling like it's lugging. The overall impression with the new calibration is that of a lot of subtle changes. The only reason I mention the lower half of the rev range is that I haven't visited the upper range yet. :sun:

Ford offers new software called "FJDS" that can program modules on cars before the 2018 model year. If you can find an independent shop that does Ford diagnostic work, they'll have this or an equivalent system that will allow them to update the ECU. They might not be as fussy as Ford dealerships seem to be.

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Has anyone else been able to get their dealer to update their ECU? Will calling and telling them you have this specific TSB problem (exhaust mode selection not available) get them just to update it even if they can't recreate it? Or will they only do it if it actually shows up on the instrument panel like the TSB says?
Yes, I just picked up mine from the dealer. I told them I had an issue not being able to switch drive modes. My battery had to be replaced so am not sure if any codes would show up once it was disconnected and removed. Regardless, there were no issues with them performing the update. Mine is sounding quieter at startup and initial driving. Had a Copper behind me so couldn't really see if performance has been improved. Will be able to weigh in on improved performance over the next couple of weeks.

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Got mine scheduled for the 10th. Looking forward to it based on these reports!

fordfanboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I was advised to put ice on the valve and see if I can get it to throw the message. :cwl:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had this TSB applied to my car, and I haven't noticed a difference in engine noises or performance. But then I don't think I've had an issue with piston slap, either.

I also had a problem with the exhaust valve not operating properly after the TSB changes, so I don't know what to make of that.

Sponsored

Slo55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16GT350Tech w/TracTran&Diff,FP Sprngs/SBs,DSC V3
For what it's worth; I don't really know if I am experiencing piston slap but wanted to keep the PCM calibration current in my early 2016 (took delivery Jan of '16) and went to the shop (Campbell Ford Performance in Campbell, CA) who did the MGW shifter for me. Bob at Campbell Ford Performance was very helpful and reasonable compared to what Sunnyvale Ford wanted. He used the current IDS software from Ford (IDS-113.03) and was able to update the calibration from FR3A-12A650-FCA to FR3A-12A650-FCB. Bob said the latest calibration would include TSBs to date and I tried to drill down on line but did not see anything regarding the update.
I have not driven much since but will report back if I notice differences.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Any more updates on this from anyone that was successful in getting this update? How's the reduction in piston slap and the supposed extra torque down low?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to do mine at the Ford dealer I usually go, and they would not do it unless I pay.. as car has no faults. They said some BS that if fault is not present, they are not allowed to do a free update as per the bulletin which I showed...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I tried to do mine at the Ford dealer I usually go, and they would not do it unless I pay.. as car has no faults. They said some BS that if fault is not present, they are not allowed to do a free update as per the bulletin which I showed...

How did you present your request? Did you go in and state that your active exhaust valves are intermittently working or did you ask for a PCM reflash?

If you go in with a concern that they have to check out, it falls into the “warranty” category and there’s nothing out of pocket (IF you’re within a warranty period or ESP).

You can’t go into Ford and just ask for a recalibration - key words “intermittent active exhaust issue”. :)
Sponsored