Sponsored

Ford did it again. Eruption green. Good grief, looking at ordering another M1!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
OK, so I sold my beautiful 2021 Iconic Silver M1 with the tremec. I loved the car and admit I am fickle about a stick or an automatic. Picked up an used '19 auto. It is fast and fun.

But, it is not a Mach 1.

So, now I am considering ordering a 2022 in Eruption Green exactly equipped as my 2021 except for the transmission. I think both transmissions are great, but admit I also like the dragstrip. The 10R80 is significantly faster there.

But what about the track? How much difference is there between the stick and the auto? And, those of you with an auto M1 that have also owned an 18-20 GT auto, is there any difference with the tuning on the transmission that is listed in the brochure?

I would be purchasing the auto but not the track pack.

Any any all comments are appreciated!
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Every torque-converted automatic I've ever driven at the track (which is only two, to be fair) or aggressively on the street has had too much gear-hunting for my liking when leaving in auto mode, and has been just a hair slower to respond than I would like when using the paddles.

I have not driven the A10, so I can't comment from personal experience, but I think reviews I've seen have suggested somewhat similar problems.

... Regardless, I'm also sure that the A10 will be faster. The shittiest slushboxes have been faster than manuals around a track for the better part of two decades now. But so what? The whole point of going fast is that it's FUN to get the FEELING of going fast. Manuals FEEL faster, even if they ARE slower. So to me, the choice is obvious if you're thinking about track duty. And the grand you save is an added bonus.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the reviews were it will hunt a bit in a normal traffic but not on the track. In Sport+ mode it doesn't hunt at all if you are pushing it. It stays in the right rpm range, that's its purpose.

This A10 is different from a regular A10 in GT so I think you want a first hand personal experience before making any judgments.

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
I didn't find that the 10r80 in my '20 Base GT hunted. Loved it. I will quibble with the 'manual feels faster' comment - with the amount of additional gearing and torque multiplication with 10 speeds, I disagree. Feeling of control and other qualitative feel of a manual, sure I get that. But the 10-speed and the gearing it offers is a treat.

As to road course use - if you have to run long sessions, particular in warm weather, the 10r80 will give you some cooling challenges. Depends on what you need. If I was going road course, I might be satisfied with moderate length sessions, avoiding the worst of summer and maybe some aftermarket cooling upgrades.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Every torque-converted automatic I've ever driven at the track (which is only two, to be fair) or aggressively on the street has had too much gear-hunting for my liking when leaving in auto mode, and has been just a hair slower to respond than I would like when using the paddles.

I have not driven the A10, so I can't comment from personal experience, but I think reviews I've seen have suggested somewhat similar problems.

... Regardless, I'm also sure that the A10 will be faster. The shittiest slushboxes have been faster than manuals around a track for the better part of two decades now. But so what? The whole point of going fast is that it's FUN to get the FEELING of going fast. Manuals FEEL faster, even if they ARE slower. So to me, the choice is obvious if you're thinking about track duty. And the grand you save is an added bonus.
Yes, I had a SC'd '15 with the A6. I liked it, but it is quite different from the A10. If you firmly accelerate in Sport +, the paddles shift extremely fast.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As to road course use - if you have to run long sessions, particular in warm weather, the 10r80 will give you some cooling challenges. Depends on what you need. If I was going road course, I might be satisfied with moderate length sessions, avoiding the worst of summer and maybe some aftermarket cooling upgrades.
Mach 1 already has an additional oil cooler for automatic transmission. "A second air-to-oil cooler increases cooling capacity by 75 percent." Cooling is not an issue, just like with rear differential.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 already has an additional oil cooler for automatic transmission. "A second air-to-oil cooler increases cooling capacity by 75 percent." Cooling is not an issue, just like with rear differential.
So, yours is an auto? If you had a previous a10 GT what differences did you note? Thanks.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, yours is an auto? If you had a previous a10 GT what differences did you note? Thanks.
Yes, I have auto. I didn't have any Mustang before so can't compare. I am testing Sport+ on every occasion lately when weather permits and I really like its behaviour. It definitely doesn't hunt for gears, the response on throttle is immediate, if you're pushing it, it keeps appropriate gear, starts upshifting only when you calm down. Haven't used paddles much but they react pretty fast. Of course I am no racer and have no experience with Porsche PDK or other superiour solutions. I'm 100% content with Sport+ shifting. Normal mode then feels quite tame in comparison, haha.

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
Pretty sure the reviews were it will hunt a bit in a normal traffic but not on the track. In Sport+ mode it doesn't hunt at all if you are pushing it. It stays in the right rpm range, that's its purpose.

This A10 is different from a regular A10 in GT so I think you want a first hand personal experience before making any judgments.
Agreed
You have to drive it like the mode wants. If you normal street drive in Track or sport+ It will hunt. If you track drive in normal same. This TCM is quite intelligent

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If your end goal is the drag strip the 10 speed auto is a no brainer. Apparently it has "unique tuning" and I think that was mentioned in Jay Leno's Mach 1 video when they were discussing it.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I always thought the reason a fluid torque converter wasn't widely used or preferred in track racing was heat and durability. As I understand it, the 10R80 is fairly temperature finicky. It doesn't work as well unless it's a min temp and it doesn't hold up well over a max temp.

How are people tracking these holding up to elevated temps and rapid fire shifting for 30 minute sessions?

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought the reason a fluid torque converter wasn't widely used or preferred in track racing was heat and durability.
It's kinda funny that new BMW M3/M4 Competition switched from DCT to torque converter from ZF. Must have had a reason.

Curious if anyone with 10R80 was tracking it already? Hopefully more people from 6000 of 2021 owners will get to track this year.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
A10 is an absolute beast. Go drive one.

That said if I was getting M1 purely for "fun", I would get it with Tremec. There is a thread out there that I started where people left a lot of feedback (mostly positive) about A10 M1 so you can check that.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
It's kinda funny that new BMW M3/M4 Competition switched from DCT to torque converter from ZF. Must have had a reason.

Curious if anyone with 10R80 was tracking it already? Hopefully more people from 6000 of 2021 owners will get to track this year.
audi did the same with the s6. i'm not sure of the reason why? maybe cost
i'm happy to have one of the last v8 dct cars!

RBELUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT P1
Vehicle Showcase
I would order a M1 A10 if given the choice. I track HDPE my 18 p1 machish conversion since I bought it. It took adding two piggybacked 27plate derale air to air coolers for oil and transmission to keep it happy. As well as kenny bell differential cooler. These upgrades have allowed me to stay out of limp mode. Even in 86f temps. I generally wont run track days with temp above that due to heat ofcourse.

wishing the OP the best of both worlds and Green is awesome choice.
Sponsored