Sponsored

Ford Denies Warranty Claim On Our Focus

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The work has already been done. I know the tank was damaged. I sent a PM to FordService on here. We'll see what happens.
Hello Ryan1112,

Thank you for the PM. I’ve sent you a response.

Deysha
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
This is what I got back from a PM to Ford Service on here. Due to my wife's profession she has a few thousand friends on Facebook that will see this story. We will just post the facts and let everyone decided if we are being unreasonable but it's a lot harder to gain back a customer than to lose a customer.

It still makes me laugh how Ford's first idea is to try to sell us a new car instead of fixing the problem. It's also a interesting how I'm told how now that the work is done things can't be overturned as if this were an act of Congress.

On each window sticker they need to put:
3 year / 36000 mile bumper to bumper
5 year / 60000 mile drivetrain (sort of, well, not really)

Re: Assistance with Warranty Claim
Quote:

Originally Posted by FordService

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for reaching out to me. I looked over your case and saw this has already been escalated and reviewed by the Regional Customer Service Manager and she offered $500 towards the repairs and an X-Plan to your wife. She accepted this offer and the repairs have been performed, therefore no one is able to overturn this decision. Unfortunately, this should have been addressed with the CSM during that time. I don’t see any documentation where your dealer stated she did not agree to the offer. I also see where you and your wife called after the fact, and were advised of the case reviews.

Regarding your Powertrain warranty, if the causal part is not covered under the specific warranty, the rest of the repair is also not covered. Also, a TSB is a repair procedure sent to our dealers in case someone comes in with a specific concern. It is not a Recall and it’s only covered under your new-vehicle limited warranty (3yrs/36k miles). I wish there was something else I could assist with. Have a good one!

Deysha

If you like I can get a statement from the Service Manager at Greenway Ford that shows their request for this to be covered. He also stated how disappointed he is with Ford to which I can also get a written statement.

My wife called Ford before the service was performed trying to get them to see reason in that the dealer only wanted the parts under warranty replaced free of charge but was refused. We had to get the car repaired because we couldn't afford to keep a rental car for however long it would take to get this straightened out.

I recognize that Ford took $500 off the bill and Greenway was able to give a 10% discount on parts but that still didn't even cover the labor and we were left with about $1000 bill for parts that are still under warranty. I'm more than happy to pay for the faulty valve but paying for the fuel tank and fuel sender is completely unacceptable.

As you probably saw in my post about this that my friends, family, and I have purchased many Fords and have been very loyal customers. I'm surprised that Ford is willing to lose so many customers and future sales over this issue.

What a shame...

Ryan

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
If your wife accepted those terms it does sound like she should have been more insistent on getting more money back towards repairs, but in any case, that's a silly reason for them to say there's nothing they can do anymore...

I agree that even if a non-covered part caused the failure (especially so soon after the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired), they should at least pay for the repair/replacement of the covered parts, even if the letter of the warranty does not technically require it. Especially since it's not like the failure was caused by neglect or modifications -- it was just a factory defect from the sounds of things.

That is something that I know many manufacturers would do. Disappointing to hear that Ford will not.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You're right. We should have figured out other transportation for my wife.

We made a complaint with the BBB and they called wanting more information. We have to round up info from when the car was purchased.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Wow this sucks, sorry to hear OP and hope it works out.

I see you mention Greenway Ford and oddly enough I got a survey from them today that my old 2013 GT was serviced there. Black with a Roush front end....

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You should have a good experience with Greenway. Their service department is great.

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
This is why you are offered an extended warranty at the time of purchase.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The extended warranty is always a bad idea. Sometimes it could pay off (something like 18% of the time if I remember the number properly?), and this probably still isn't even one of those times since they're usually a couple grand.

Besides, I think those extended warranties are dealer options, not manufacturer options.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Not really. The fuel tank and sender are still under warranty. I'm fine paying for the valve that failed.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
The extended warranty is always a bad idea. Sometimes it could pay off (something like 18% of the time if I remember the number properly?), and this probably still isn't even one of those times since they're usually a couple grand.

Besides, I think those extended warranties are dealer options, not manufacturer options.
Ford warranties are from the manufacturer. They are all prorated as well. I bought one on my Marauder and it was worth every penny.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mercedestech77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
16 DIB GT PP
On our cars, (Mercedes-Benz) we have our normal warranty 4 yr/50k, but we also have an emissions warranty which covers emission failures only for 8yrs/80k. That includes purge valves and even the engine control module. I would ask Ford if they have an emissions warranty.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I thought I would follow up on this. I know it's been a while but I forgot to update this thread.

The BBB couldn't help because we accepted Fords offer of the $500. We really needed the car back and didn't realize that we would get screwed by taking the offer. The BBB said if we would have refused the offer and taken the car back without a repair then they probably could have sorted things out for us. Live and learn I guess. My fault.

I was going to buy a Focus for my daily driver this spring but I'll be looking at a Mazda 3 instead now. I have a friend and a family member who both decided not get Fords because of this. I just told them exactly what happened and they didn't want to ever be put in the same position so one went with a Mazda and the other a Subaru. I know Ford could care less about me and they think losing those sales are nothing but so far they will have lost three sales because of this with more to come.

I still love my Mustang and I'm not going to sell it because of this. It just amazes me how Ford would deny a warranty claim like this knowing that it will just result in more money lost in future sales. Boggles the mind.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

The warranty is from Ford and if you plan on keeping your car it is a fantastic purchase. I'm still deciding myself if I want to get it or not, but the nice thing is you have until your bumper to bumper warranty expires to do so. For example, I believe a $2,400 8 year/125K warranty would pay for itself and even if it didn't, that's a great peace of mind for long past the factory warranty.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Ryan1112, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know enough about the technical nature of your issue and the specifics of vehicle warranties to comment on them, but I do know that Deysha here is a great asset to the forum and I know she did all she could to help you. Another thing to consider is whether or not the situation would have been any different with another manufacturer. Regardless, glad the car is fixed for you guys and I hope you enjoy your Mustang.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That is a very good point about other manufacturers. This probably could have just as easily happened with any other make. We are putting this behind us and ultimately once time passes all this has really done is make me look at all options instead of only Ford when shopping for a new car.
Sponsored