Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any word/rumors/hints on whether - get your pitchforks ready - there's going to be a convertible variant? As we all know, there _was_ one in the previous incarnation, but Ford may have totally different market segment / buyer targets for this one.
No.
Sponsored

SIMS1724

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS Ingot Silver

cobra1320

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra
I for one don't give a frack about the Demon. You can already tell from the teaser this is going to be a more well rounded car. The Demon is a side show! You notice you have not heard much of anything since the cars have started being delivered. A one trick pony is just that and in a street car that would get old really quick! If it's your cup of tea enjoy. I'm just glad Ford didn't go that route.
I give kudos to Dodge for doing the Demon, it played to their strength, but the GT 500 will be benchmarked against the ZL1 and not the Demon.

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
A few somewhat useless observations/predictions from the pictures:

1) Not ā€™17 or ā€™18 headlights ā€“ something new all together
2) Cast aluminum wheels (not forged) similar to GT350 (10 spokes just not evenly spaced), but larger in diameter as there is more clearance to the caliper.
3) GT350 2 piece rotors with iron friction disc (not carbon composite) ā€“ do not appear any larger than the GT350 to me.
4) I predict caliper will have Ford printing on it (Snake and/or GT500), not Brembo, like GT350.
5) Lower grill opening points inward towards the road, like previously mentioned, not like the renderings Iā€™ve seen.
6) Not much of a front splitter ā€“ doesnā€™t really protrude
7) Not much of a diffuser shape to the rear, either.
8) Hood louvers are integral to the hood, not separate.
9) Exhaust tips beefy, but thinner than GT350 indicating larger diameter exhaust tubing, which would make sense.
10) The car under that cover a few weeks back was a GT500.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I give kudos to Dodge for doing the Demon, it played to their strength, but the GT 500 will be benchmarked against the ZL1 and not the Demon.
Yep. Dodge has been really smart about the target audience for the Charger/Challenger, how to market them, the "curb appeal" - they chose a performance metric and knocked it out of the park.

The GT500 is in an interesting position between the ZL1/ZL1LE and the Hellcat/Demon. One one end, crazy straight line performance with lots of chest pounding over HP numbers - the other side, a potentially better platform, with a performance metric bragging variant (of an already potent performance version of the Camaro).

Maybe Ford will respond with a GT500 (vs. ZL1) and a GT500R (ala, GT350R ,lighter wheels, more aero, [more] weight reduction) as a counter-punch to the ZL1LE.

Fun times! Well, you know, before we're all driving 50HP electric appliances ...

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
That has me wondering to. Would they use an old year model headlight in their new flagship car. Knowing the 18 lights are an upgrade? That would not make sense at all. ? Not that it does not look good. Maybe a totally new design just for the 500. That would make more sense. Not a deal breaker but odd.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
The reality is we are all speculating off of a CGI video. While Iā€™m sure it will be very close to this, just like the 350, there is almost literally nothing we can tell. Canā€™t tell brake component, canā€™t tell what the wheels are made of, etc...

Hopefully we will get more in the next few days

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Just cancel it lol
I was also close to buying an 18 GT last Friday -Premium/PP1/recaro/magneride/active exhaust /A10 in lieu of the lack of initial information about the GT 500. It was to be the fourth and final in the stable .I had plans to add a whipple/TVS .Adding the supercharger to the $50K MSRP would have had me at $60 k and it would still have just been "just " another supercharged GT .

I am glad I waited ! .I will gladly pay the premium over the $60K for this beast.....especially since it's going to be be "final one "

SUPRDUDE7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Red Fire GT Shaker 1000
Does anyone have any idea when the actual reveal will be? I know I speak for all of us, I can't take the suspense.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Old headlights huh, going to come out in 2019 (it's coming out in 2019 and it's a 2019MY??) and basically look like a 3+ year old car at that point.

Ford's decisions get stranger by the day.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
So Iā€™ve slept on it and decided something.

This car will be available in 15(!!) months from now. Itā€™ll barely make the ā€˜19 model year.

Is ford truly going to cancel the 350 in 5 months? The bullitt although cool canā€™t hold the torch for an entire model year.

Next thought, Ford is giving way to much time for GM to bake up something. A refreshed Camaro will show up in the next couple of months and by the time the 500 is available Team Camaro will have an ADDITIONAL model year to have an answer for this car.

Iā€™m not huge into supercharging anyway so Iā€™ll likely pass on this car. I donā€™t see a super version of this car coming for 2021 either as was previously stated. They only leaves just over a calendar year for sale of this version. Ford timelines donā€™t make sense.

Oh and good luck finding engine specs until literally the day before. Remember the ā€˜18 Mustang and the Ford GT? They allowed the GT to be in the media as the best power to weight car and then hushly released specs AFTER some already landed in customers hands. It also made less power then anticipated (Bmac might be able to confirm that).