Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
He's spot on with everything except the SS 1LE to GT350R comparison. The SS is a heck of a value, especially when compared to a GT350, R model or otherwise. But it doesn't outperform either of them at the track regardless of what some magazines pointed to. I've tracked both and the SS 1LE couldn't hit the same speed on the straights as much as it was pretty much a wash in braking/cornering. The PDR and rev matching feature had me hoping Ford would integrate them too as both work very well. But again, the SS 1LE is a great value but not a better performer.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nothing I wouldn't expect him to say. He isn't going to say, "our stuff is second best."

Even though it is.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
GM has done a fantastic job. What I liked hearing him say was that their performance parts division worked along side their production team. Ford failed horribly with respect to the GT350 and FRP parts availability. To date all you can find is an air filter, oil separators, and a ridiculously priced Borla exhaust system from them. I hope they do better with the GT500.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GM has done a fantastic job.
It's nice of you to say this, but am I wrong in saying they are mostly doing "bigger hammer" engineering? The ZL1 has a blown V8 making 650 HP. Nothing innovative there. The 1LE cars have stiff springs and big sticky tires. The ZL1 1LE has springs so stiff to the point where car reviewers have said they think it's good at the track but they don't want to drive it to the track. The aero bits look really tacked on rather than part of a well integrated design.

I've read on here that dealers are even offering huge incentives to purchase the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE.

I haven't driven one, but all the evidence I've seen is the latest gen Camaros are a pretty massive fail for GM.

I do agree that it would have been nice if Ford had done better with add on parts. 100% agreement on that point. They even advertised a Track Key for our GT350s and then dropped it. :(

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Say what you want, but he offers a better performing car for the money at the moment and Ford is struggling to keep up performance per dollar wise. Good thing for Ford his design department isn't as good. Regardless competition makes sure as owners and sport car fans we all win! :)

It's nice of you to say this, but am I wrong in saying they are mostly doing "bigger hammer" engineering? The ZL1 has a blown V8 making 650 HP. Nothing innovative there. The 1LE cars have stiff springs and big sticky tires. The ZL1 1LE has springs so stiff to the point where car reviewers have said they think it's good at the track but they don't want to drive it to the track. The aero bits look really tacked on rather than part of a well integrated design.

I've read on here that dealers are even offering huge incentives to purchase the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE.

I haven't driven one, but all the evidence I've seen is the latest gen Camaros are a pretty massive fail for GM.

I do agree that it would have been nice if Ford had done better with add on parts. 100% agreement on that point. They even advertised a Track Key for our GT350s and then dropped it. :(
GM is doing great things on the performance side. The problem is their sales suffer because of a design that makes the Camaro not the most daily friendly sports car experience. Trust me if I felt more comfortable in a Camaro ZL1 I'd own one because it's a performance bargain.

You're right that Ford Performance did something unique with the GT350 having the FPC V8 and it paid off. All things point to the GT500 going back to a traditional CPC V8 Supercharged setup. While it will probably destroy a GT350R, will it have enough character to make it "special" like the GT350?

The 13/14 GT500 ran into a similar problem. While it was faster than the 12-13 Boss 302, the automotive media preferred the Boss 302 as a drivers car. Owning both I agree the Boss 302 was the better balanced car, but I do sometimes miss the stupid amount of power in my 14 GT500. It seems like the majority of people that are still interested in performance cars want "power that turns" more than just ridiculous amounts of power.

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Say what you want, but he offers a better performing car for the money at the moment and Ford is struggling to keep up performance per dollar wise. Good thing for Ford his design department isn't as good. Regardless competition makes sure as owners and sport car fans we all win! :)

GM is doing great things on the performance side. The problem is their sales suffer because of the design that makes the Camaro not the most daily friendly sports car experience. Trust me if I felt more comfortable in a Camaro ZL1 I'd own one because it's a performance bargain.

You're right that Ford Performance did something unique with the GT350 having the FPC V8 and it paid off. All things point to the GT500 going back to a traditional CPC V8 Supercharged setup. While it will probably destroy a GT350R, will it have enough character to make it "special" like the GT350?

The 13/14 GT500 ran into the similar problem. While it was faster than the 12-13 Boss 302, the automotive media preferred the Boss 302 as a drivers car. Owning both I agree the Boss 302 was the better balanced car, but I do sometimes miss the stupid amount of power in my 14 GT500. It seems like the majority of people that are still interested in performance cars want "power that turns" more than just ridiculous amounts of power.
Very well said IMO.

Over the last 5 or 6 years I have been very fortunate to spend a fair bit of time with many of Ford's professional drivers many of which are based out of the Miller Motorsports Park and during my time with them either in a Mustang or just on the sidelines I always ask them their personal thoughts about which is their favorite Ford drivers car.

In every case either the Boss 302 (back in 2012 and 2013) and now the GT350 and especially the GT350R was their favorite Pony car ride.

I would always ask about their thoughts about the GT500 as it was out when the Boss 302 was launched in early 2011 and every one of them liked the GT500 but did not consider it a drivers car compared to the Boss 302 and especially the 2 seat Laguna Seca model.

Again I would ask every driver about how the GT350/R compared to the 662 HP GT500 for the 2013 and 2014 MY's with their responses was pretty much the same except that the last two years of the GT500 had much more torque and horsepower but still not a drivers car compared to the new Shelby's.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just the ZL1, this has always been a problem for GM. The 5th gen ZL1 sales weren't too good compared to the GT500, despite being the better performing car in its first year. And look at the Z/28... you barely see any out there. I remember dealership having such a hard time selling them that they would take damn near $20k off the asking price. They sat on lots for AGES. Same deal with the new performance offerings. I don't know what it is about Chevy, but Ford just seems to have the greater appeal to the pony car market, even at times when their cars don't perform quite as well. Hell, I'll be the first to admit the ZL1 undoubtedly outperforms the GT350R, but I'm sure you can guess which one I'd rather spend $65k on (assuming I could find a GT350R for that much)

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Amen. A teaser is suppose to be just that! It's generally followed up fairly quick with more information! I can't believe they would have released the trailer if they weren't prepared to follow it up with more information. Why light a fire if your not going to keep it going! If they are smart they would have more videos to start dribbling out to keep it interesting!! Can't just drop that video and go radio silent. If you wait to long what was the point?! The hype would be lost! So, sooner than later!

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

In addition to your above comments how about the 2014 and 2015 Z28 and it's overall acceptance amongst the GM diehards.

As most of us know that vehicle was powered by an LS7 that I believe came out of the parts bin and if I recall was used in previous year Corvettes.

How is that for thinking outside of the box!

Obviously Ford is not perfect in everything that they do but they certainly get it and try much harder at looking outside of the box than the boys at GM with respect to styling and overall performance when it comes to the Pony car.

Just look at the respective engines for both the Mustang and Camaro during the 2015 MY with the Camaro having a NA LS7 427 cubic inch engine producing a whole 500 HP and with the GT350 NA 315 cubic inch FPC engine producing 526 HP.

The above speaks for itself and just another reason why the Camaro sold so poorly and that the GT350/R's sold/still sells so well and will continue to be in great demand for many years to come.

:cheers:

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
so when's the next teaser? 2, 3 months?
Amen. A teaser is suppose to be just that! It's generally followed up fairly quick with more information! I can't believe they would have released the trailer if they weren't prepared to follow it up with more information. Why light a fire if your not going to keep it going! If they are smart they would have more videos to start dribbling out to keep it interesting!! Can't just drop that video and go radio silent. If you wait to long what was the point?! The hype would be lost! So, sooner than later!
The next teaser will be at Chicago (Maybe?)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase