Sponsored

Ford Co-Pilot360 to be standard on entire lineup

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The more and more electronics components are added, it’s not only raising the MSRP or cost of vehicles, but is also going to raise insurance premiums due to the cost to replace any such damaged components from a wreck repair to a total loss claim...

It’s not that vehicle manufacturers are competing with each other to have the most safety gadgets or nannies as some say, that stuff is being pushed by the Feds and being made to be requirements in new vehicles. Some manufactures are quicker than others with getting the requirements fulfilled and into their products BEFORE any mandated deadlines by the Govt.

I’m sure folks will figure out how to Forscan any of the intrusive nannies out...
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Our 2017 Highlander has all that crap. I have to push the start button and then three other buttons to turn it all off. I feel more like I'm in a cockpit. The auto shut-off has to be the worst. Lane departure is also weird when you forget to turn on your turn signal and it turns the steering wheel back against the way you're trying to turn. That's a real safety feature there (rolls eyes). I was playing with it one day letting it steer itself back and forth between the lines. Of course then the sensor in the steering wheel doesn't detect enough pressure on the steering wheel and a message flashes up to grip the steering wheel. This is exactly why I want to buy another car before the driving experience is totally ruined and eventually taken away.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
What all you guys fail to realize is that even if you have a car with full manual control you are driving is a sea of Nannie equipped or self driving cars crawling all over the place. Find a street with nobody on it and some red light camera catches you having fun. The insurance companies may also hurt you for not having the nannies. Then here is the “abolish the combustion engine” movement in two decades. It’s the end of the line for traditional performance car enthusiasts. Put your VR reality head set on for a real driving experience in the future. Then keep the VR headset on with your pants down and a jar of Vaseline near by as you select your cutie of the day and jerk off into the world of the future.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Its the future folks, embrace it. I’m even starting to get used to the iDEA of self driving capability, it’s tough I admit and I’m not sure how comfortable I’ll feel when the car can actually do it. I only hope that we will still be able to take control and drive the car as well because I do love driving.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Any sports car driving individual wants the control. I won't drive a nannied car if I can't "feel" the experience. Thanks to my age I should not be suffering too long. I'll be 59 this month.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Its the future folks, embrace it. I’m even starting to get used to the iDEA of self driving capability, it’s tough I admit and I’m not sure how comfortable I’ll feel when the car can actually do it. I only hope that we will still be able to take control and drive the car as well because I do love driving.
It's sounding like it's gonna depend on the company. VW for example wants to get rid of the steering wheel and pedals as quickly as possible. Porsche on the other hand has committed to being the last car with a steering wheel. I'm guessing in the future if you still want to drive you'll have to have a sports car for sure. At that point it'll just depend on if you can afford the sky-high insurance rates for the privilege. A human driver in the future will be the most dangerous thing on the road and insurance rates will reflect that.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
I really have mixed feelings on this. Up until recently I have been against these driving aids, having driven close to 1.5 million miles in my lifetime without feeling I needed them.

Then last year we bought three new Mazdas that all had some version of this safety suite on them. The Mazda CX-5 GT and Mazda6 GT (which I traded on my Mustang) had BLIS, Smart City Breaking, Radar Cruise Control, Lane Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (not the same as backup sensors which interestingly are a stand-alone option from Mazda and not standard with their backup camera). The Mazda3 GT my son drives has a step down from this and just has BLIS and Smart Brake Support as he does not have the Premium Equipment Package.

I now daily drive the Mazda CX-5 and I have come to find that I do like the BLIS and the Smart City Breaking, although I turn off the Lane Assist and use regular cruise control and not the Radar Cruise Control.

My wife on the other hand LOVES all of the features and uses them all when she drives it....But she is also someone who drives because she HAS to and not because she WANTS to. She travels each week for work all over North America and is constantly in rental cars so for her all of these driving aids are a must. She tells me she would buy a self-driving car tomorrow if she could...Ugh.

So when it came time to buy my Mustang, I actually looked for a car that did not have the Safe and Smart package feeling that i did not need it at all. I have come to find that driving the Mazda every day and then getting into the Mustang occasionally for fun makes me notice I get a bit lazy with having the features of the Mazda and have to pay extra attention when I drive the Mustang without them.

As for insurance, some will give a discount when a vehicle has these safety features as they feel it reduces the risk of paying out a claim from a crash.

Like it or not, very soon all manufacturers will have these safety features as standard and not as an option. It is coming very soon to a highway near you.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Lane departure is also weird when you forget to turn on your turn signal and it turns the steering wheel back against the way you're trying to turn. That's a real safety feature there (rolls eyes).
Well, at least one of you knows you're suppose to signal first. :D

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Car thieves in the future wont be late night hooded thugs breaking car windows and hotwiring ...theyll be hackers hacking into your cars computer system and self drive that car back to their garage.....or self drive you off a cliff.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
All the more reason to keep '16 PP stripper 'till the wheels fall off it. One of the lightest S550 GTs made and no annoying garbage to detract from the driving experience. Yes, I'm a luddite when it comes to this crap, my other car has all this junk on it and it annoys the hell out of me. Absolutely hate the direction we're going in with all the nanny state garbage we get stuck with.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At this point, I think this is more government driven. More safety = More $ saved and benefits.
Specifically, NHTSA. But even as benefits become a matter of diminishing returns, the safety industry will still have incentive to find new things just to keep them in business. Self-preservation of an organization.

You have to change your own driving style around the safety features somewhat.
And that's a safety hazard in and of itself.

The option is always there to turn it off at least, but then the argument will be, "I already paid for this!" :)
"You can make the car I buy have it but you can't make me use it." Just like any other unused or unwanted feature provided as standard equipment or contained in any other option package.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Its the future folks, embrace it.
Code for "Give up now because you're not entitled to even let your thinking go against the grain any more. You can only do or think about doing what we're going to let you do."

FWIW, the link in Post #1 to the full press release seems to be broken.

Norm

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
All that crap is a big reason why I bought a 2018 mustang. The older I get (41 now) the more I am willing to do (or let the car do) anything it takes to avoid the hassle of an accident. I'm a good driver but noone is perfect. To each their own though.
The name is ridiculous since a 360 degree camera is the once feature it does include...it's almost like they are trying to trick people lol

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Its to bad, imo, we, as motorists brought this stuff on ourselves, everything from just plain bad driving, drug or alcohol, texting, road rage type stuff. I am 57, and my 18 should be here next month, I drive for a living, and do not want ANY nannie, or govt. interference behind the wheel.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The Honda setup which costs money to upgrade to on the civic is not that intrusive imo. And it’s toggle off for most of it.
Sponsored