Sponsored

Ford buy back attempt 2018 Mustang GT “typewriter tick/rattle.”

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
To be completely honest, my GT PP1 had the typewriter tick and it was loud...Dealer confirmed it was standard operating procedure, after some initial frustration, I read the forums here and found everyone recommended Ceratec. I put that in my engine a few months back, tick went away almost immediately and the engine sounds better than ever before. I would recommend anyone sick of the bbq tick to try it out.
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’m using this platform as documentation in my buy back procedure through Ford.

07/18 I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT at Lorenzo Ford dealer homestead FL. On (02/13/19) I had a ticking/ rattle coming from under the car. I proceeded to Lorenzo fords service department to have it inspected, 10 days later (02/23/19) upon return of the vehicle Ford service had replaced the resonator/clamp however there was still interment ticking on cold starts. (07/16/19) the interment ticking on cold starts has gotten significantly worse at this time I return the vehicle to Lorenzo fords service due to a interment ticking noise coming from the engine bay, especially on cold starts. Upon doing my own research it seems the problem is common and Ford is aware of the issue nick naming it the “type writer tick” or “bbq tick”. I dealt with Dennis Winch as my service advisor and a week had gone by with no updates or follow ups. At this point I tried reaching out to get some info on the status of the car yet nobody had no information on the car and I had come to find out Dennis left on vacation and won’t be back for some time, I was irritated at this point. I spoke to The service department who assured me she’d reach out to the director to have him personally follow up on my car and get back to me. On 07/24/19 a service advisor Gabriel De Los Santos reached out to me informing me my car was ready. I was skeptical because no updates were provided so I asked what was the initial problem and was told the flywheel had been replaced as well as the cylinder asy clutch slave. Upon going to pick my car the next day I asked if any techs can ride along with me to assure the ticking sound is gone yet nobody was available so the manager of the service department Brandon Barrows told me if I hear the noise to just bring the car back. Sure enough as soon as I started the car the ticking noise was still evident so I returned the vehicle immediately. At this point a service advisor was available to ride along and confirmed he heard the ticking noise as well.

9 days later on 08/02/19 Lorenzo fords service calls me to inform me that they have replaced the clutch now (I’m skeptical because on the previous service they claim to have replaced the flywheel, you would assume the clutch would be inspected at this point with the transmission removed) however the noise still seems to be present, Lorenzo service at this point claimed to have opened a case with ford directly inquiring about the ticking/rattle and there response was that the ticking sound is “normal” and causes no damage to the vehicle.

08/02/2019 I’m not satisfied with Fords direct response, my car has accumulated over 27 days of service not to mention my car is not a factory assembly built vehicle anymore being that they’ve removed the transmission on multiple occasions trying to get to the source of the ticking/rattle with no success. I reached out to fords customer relations and opened my own case with the intentions of a buy back through ford, I was directed to wait on a follow up through my regional manger (1 Business day) but I was told a buy back is not guaranteed at this point.

08/05/2019 I follow up to see the status of my case because NO regional manger has reached out to me, at this point my car is ready for pick up from Lorenzo fords service team (with noise still evident) however ford recommends I wait to speak directly with the regional manager so they can coordinate with my service department to see the next plan of action, Ford customer relations assures me I will be contacted by the end of the day. NOBODY reached out to me and I’m still waiting to be contacted.

(08/06/19) this is day 4 no follow up I reach out to customer relations who claimed I’d be reached within 1 business day. Express my frustration being at a stand still waiting for others actions to relieve my situation. Ford provides me with a regional manager (Celeste Baez) phone number (866)-631-3788 Ext:77702. An attempt to transfer me directly over to speak with regional manager is made with no success I’m told a voice mail is left with my info and I will be contacted soon if not I can try and reach out myself with the info provided.

The vehicle has been out of service 27 days to repair one or more substantial defects.

3x attempts to repair the same substantial defect or condition. (Transmission removed on multiple occasions)

To be continued....
Ford has stated the tick is normal...

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Torn to rat-shit for no good reason is right. You’d imagine that if the noise was “normal” there’d be no need to have my car serviced for an accumulated time of 27 days to come to that conclusion. Ford should already be well aware of this issue, So this will just be more documentation to strengthen my case. No one wants there car worked on for no reason! Just like no one wants a new car that ticks and rattles coming out the factory line it’s ridiculous!!! I regret selling my terminator ☹

Ya, cause that 25 year old noodle chassis didn't tick(head tick) and the interior wasn't falling apart from day 1.

I get your upset, but the s550 is a better car in every way

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
WTF is a "factory assembled vehicle"?? Guess what, ALL cars screwed together on an assembly line are "factory assembled". So what? Do you think that just because someone unbolted the transmission and removed/re-installed it, means that your car is now "non-factory assembled". Give me a break...

And my next statement is going to be a bit harsh, but I don't really care:

Why anyone, and I mean anyone would pay $40K for a factory-stock, (new or not) naturally-aspirated S550 Mustang has far more money the brains!

Do you have any idea how many premium optioned, S550 Mustangs (without the "tick") are for sale right now in the mid-to-high $20K range?? Do you...??
When I bought mine there were zero cheaper 2018 premium pp1s with the a10.
40k even otd

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Engine tick? That is why God invented the radio. The only way I’m still able to hold onto my 2012 Rubicon as well.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I just had the oil changed, 34k miles. Like clockwork the ticking is back. My God it's so bad I laughed out loud at a stoplight. So when the light turned green I floored the sob till it bounced off the limiter, grabbed second and did it again. I will continue to beat the ever living shut out of it until it stops ticking or starts smoking.

Ford you know what it is or else you couldn't say it's normal and no damage will be done so tell us what the fuck it is you pricks!!

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Mine sounds like a washing machine. Death Metal fixed the issue. Ford says it's normal.

OK, only kidding.

OMG, I LMAO. Thank You for giving me the first laugh of my day!

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
1 forum member I know succeeded in getting FORD to buy back a BBQ tick car. It took a lot of time and effort on his part but, he did it and got a new car. Which, guess what, has the same tick that FORD swears is normal now.

My gen 2 is sounding better and better. lol

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Cars make noises.

You sure it's not just the direct injectors?
This is what I was wondering, I currently do not own a S550 but I have been scouting the forums because I plan to eventually purchase one so I am getting as much info as I can on the platform. Are you guy sure this ticking is not due to direct injection? Shits loud I currently have a Civic and the DI is louder then my actual car is (not exaggerating) If you stand outside my car while its idling you just hear tick tick tick super loud it does not need to be at a certain rpm or near other vehicles / walls for the sound to reflect its just out right louder then the car and it is due to DI. Aside from the people that have gotten there motors replaced for the sound has anyone had an actual failure that was pin pointed to this tick? Have there been any reported failures on stock S550's that has everyone concerned?

OP
OP

Ibleedblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Laz
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 manual 6sp
I’m aware of the DPI but what we’re hearing in regards to the tick/rattle is different. UPDATE over 5 days since I started my case with customer relations and I have yet to speak to any regional manager. I couldn’t sit around and wait for them to contact me while my car sits on lot baking in the sun and gets dents so I picked my car. The tick/rattle is obviously still there lol but it gets better, upon picking up the car I requested that my service advisor give me the documentation of fords direct response claiming the noise is normal. He comes back with a paper and the first thing he says is “I can show you what they said but I can’t give you this paper” there reasoning was for “documentation purposes” is that sketchy or what?!! lmao the paper basically read my service advisor reaching out to ford via email claiming the clutch and flywheel have been replaced yet the noise is still evident. Fords reply was that the noise is normal (tick/rattle/knock) and referred to the previously mentioned (TSB 19-2 144 and SSM 47787) Now what to make out of this? I honestly think ford doesn’t know wtf it is and they haven’t found a fix so until the recall comes out we’re stuck dealing with this ticking nightmare. I’ll continue to my case through customer relations with my car @ home. Even if I get an extended warranty out of this ordeal it’s worth the fight & btw my clutch feels tight and has way less play then before so that’s cool. I understand I opened up a can of worms with this sensitive subject but just wanted to say thanks for all the input guys, good and bad when my regional manager decides to work I’ll update y’all.

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I had the "BBQ tick" on my 17 GT last year before it was called "normal". Pulled up to the service bay and all the reps heard it too. On the 30th consecutive day in the dealer's shop, Ford gave me the option of waiting for a new short block, buy back, or replacement. I elected for a replacement 18. Never was told what actually created the tick.

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
To proceed with a Buy Back:/
I know in Florida, I had to notify Ford on the 15th day that my car had been in the shop. This gave them 15 days to complete the repair or proceed with the RAV process. This allowed them to avoid the lemon law.
Sponsored