Sponsored

Ford buy back attempt 2018 Mustang GT “typewriter tick/rattle.”

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The rattle is not prevalent on anything prior to MY18, at least that I've seen reported; which just supports the P/I-D/I theory.

Karavel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kara
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack Ruby Red
Care to share more concrete evidence?
I don't have evidence of what your rattle is, it's just hearsay, just my opinion people are thinking these are different noises the tick is around 2000 rpm, same thing to me, I don't have an 18 or 19. You can always try to pull the AC belt off and run the car.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I don't have evidence of what your rattle is, it's just hearsay, just my opinion people are thinking these are different noises the tick is around 2000 rpm, same thing to me, I don't have an 18 or 19. You can always try to pull the AC belt off and run the car.
I have zero doubts your assessment is incorrect.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
At least your car doesn't sound like mine did last year!!!

If Ford tells you that's "normal" then they need to get out of the car making business. That's horrible and far from "normal". Sounds like a rod is about to blow out the side of the block.

The sad part about all this is that Ford now hides behind the typewriter tick TSB/SSM to "explain" away any noises that a Coyote makes, even if there truely is a mechanical problem. Granted, if a Ford tech knows his stuff, he'd hear that loud clanking and know it's not "normal".

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the course of the horse being unmercifully beaten, no one was able to show a relation to any engine replacement (some I think were made up to further their false point) or problem they had. That is why you rarely see this subject come up anymore (it was very overwhelming for a several months). Anyone that was trying to prove these noises were/are a problem, have stopped and gone on to other things. So my feelings at this point is that you and anyone else bringing this subject up now is wasting their time. You should first go read the hundreds of posts that ultimately ended thankfully.
Yes, there are many old threads mainly about the Gen2 and Gen3 BBQ/typewriter tick (less about the 2000K rattle on the Gen3 Coyote) that happened before Ford put out the official statement that it was "normal". I think that's why most people stopped talking about it and just said f*@k it. Ford was replacing short blocks because of the ticking pretty regular at one point before the TSB/SSM came out.

The data to try and prove what the root cause of the typewriter tick was very hard to nail down because in 99% of the cases where Ford replaced a short block the shop never inspected and measured out clearances on the bottom end - they were told by Ford to not touch it and send the short block back to Ford. There were a couple of guys who did pass on that their shop did measure some clearances and found them to be outside of the max clearance spec in the factory shop manual. If anyone want's to read up on that then just do a search for BBQ tick or typewriter tick on this chat board.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get this but maybe it's my thick head that can't get around to not all cars making the same noises. The BBQ tick started after my first oil change and is now seemingly gone after an oil additive. How can it be a normal sound if it's not consistent? I really do wish I took the blue pill.
A lot of the old threads about the BBQ had some good theories on why Ceratec almost instantly makes the ticking go away. Boiled down to reduced friction and the increased cushioning effect of parts making contact with each other, and/or helped reduce oil cavitation. I always went with the former theory. Some guys would hear the ticking go away with only a half bottle (only 150 cc = 5 oz) of Ceratec. Other guys needed 2 bottles (300cc per bottle) ... so the level of ticking varies all over the place and the required amount of Ceratec also varied.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bring on the replies and blah blah blah I don't care I am going to say it.
The "ticks" bbq or typewriter are a result of the AC belt on ALL 2011 - 2019 mustangs.
I have had a 2013 GT and now a 17 GT both ticked. You can hear it more next to walls esp at drive throughs. On my 17 I can hear it randomly tap when revving idle at about 2000 rpm.
There was a TSB years back for an AC tensioner pulley and belt but you think Ford is going to spend millions to add them to future mustangs just because of a noise, no.
The Air Conditioner belt has more slack on some Mustangs and not as much on others.
Cut the belt and I bet it all goes away.
People been trying rebuilds, new engines, oil thicknesses etc lol.
It's the damn AC belt.
Some may be from the "stretchy belt", but if someone adds Ceratec and the ticking almost instantly goes away it's obviously not the belt causing the ticking noise.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think he's heard the rattle in the MY18-19. Pretty sure he's referring to the BBQ tick, thinking they are the same noise, which they are not.
+1 ... the two noises are not the same thing, and those who haven't been reading and researching this for the last couple years get confused on what distinguishes the two different noises. The BBQ/typewriter tick has occurred on all 3 generations (Gen 1, 2 and 3) Coyote and the 2000K rattle is only happening on the Gen3 Coyote. There were a few Gen2 guys who claimed their engine had the 2000K rattle, so it could be those were bad cam-chain tensioner issues ... who knows.

LowKey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2019 Mustang GT - 2013 XR6 Turbo - 2017 i30 SR-P.
From owning an 18 and 19 that both had the 2k rattle to different extents, I can confirm that it sounds nothing like a belt issue.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
few Gen2 guys who claimed their engine had the 2000K rattle, so it could be those were bad cam-chain tensioner issues ... who knows.[/QUOTE}

I can not speak to gen 11 issues but the rattle in my opinion is not related to the front of the engine ...chain/tensioner/guides/air conditioning. etc...
It’s high up on the engine and from the cabin against the firewall. I have believed for a long time it’s the DI and PI passing the baton and the huge oil pressure swing in that rpm and maybe the transition window the rattle reveals itself while the swirl flaps settle down with an influence of vacuum that isn’t always consistent
But what do I know.
I’m ok with the rattle if & when I do hear it.
For now I’m not worrying about it

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yes, there are many old threads mainly about the Gen2 and Gen3 BBQ/typewriter tick (less about the 2000K rattle on the Gen3 Coyote) that happened before Ford put out the official statement that it was "normal". I think that's why most people stopped talking about it and just said f*@k it. Ford was replacing short blocks because of the ticking pretty regular at one point before the TSB/SSM came out.

The data to try and prove what the root cause of the typewriter tick was very hard to nail down because in 99% of the cases where Ford replaced a short block the shop never inspected and measured out clearances on the bottom end - they were told by Ford to not touch it and send the short block back to Ford. There were a couple of guys who did pass on that their shop did measure some clearances and found them to be outside of the max clearance spec in the factory shop manual. If anyone want's to read up on that then just do a search for BBQ tick or typewriter tick on this chat board.
I don't think as many blocks were swapped out as you believe. Just on this site there were about a dozen claims that I could find. Out of those, I saw most had no evidence that they really were swapped out and were just a lot of talk. There were a couple that had shown the paperwork. I think those cases can be attributed to just the unfortunate percentage of bad engines or how they used them (could be both). My theory on the tick is that Ford wanted to get a few blocks so they could break them down. They did that, found that it was not an issue and sent out the TSB. As for the rattle, every coyote that I have personally heard has it (~10). The varying volume levels heard on clips I think is just how the person recorded it. Most people would not even notice it if not for a site like this. No one has been able to draw a line from the rattle (or tick) to an engine issue. The clip by tomnelsonii does seem to be a pretty significant issue that needs to be corrected. His is a 2016 though and it was a bad lifter (~9k miles). Again, a small percentage of cars will come with bad parts etc. No difference for any car mfr. and yes, a lot of "issues" reported in TSB's are not fully explained by them either. You and a few others were trying to track down something that was not an issue, that is why it was so hard to figure out. Not saying you should not have done so as you seem to have liked doing it. I had some prior experience with 2016-2018 GT's that friends have and already knew of these sounds and we deemed it normal (before i bought mine) and so saw all the buzz about it being a waste of time. Hopefully you are now just going out and enjoying your car.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^ Along with a number of engines being replaced, I truly feel bad for those that got whole new long blocks, only to have the same ticking and rattling as before. Losing value on your vehicle over this noise is something that would bother me a lot more than the ticking itself.

I also have the tick, and took it in a couple times to have them listen to it and even drive it a couple days to see if they could figure it out. I'm sure they thrashed it a bit too, but no worries, since I drive it hard on occasion as well. My local Roush dealer told me flat out, they have theories, but no exact cause of the tick. They didn't want to replace my engine unless they know exactly how to fix the problem. I'm glad I listened, and didn't push for a new long block, because most of these new engines tick just the same.
Sponsored