Ford buy back attempt 2018 Mustang GT “typewriter tick/rattle.”

Ibleedblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Laz
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 manual 6sp
I’m using this platform as documentation in my buy back procedure through Ford.

07/18 I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT at Lorenzo Ford dealer homestead FL. On (02/13/19) I had a ticking/ rattle coming from under the car. I proceeded to Lorenzo fords service department to have it inspected, 10 days later (02/23/19) upon return of the vehicle Ford service had replaced the resonator/clamp however there was still interment ticking on cold starts. (07/16/19) the interment ticking on cold starts has gotten significantly worse at this time I return the vehicle to Lorenzo fords service due to a interment ticking noise coming from the engine bay, especially on cold starts. Upon doing my own research it seems the problem is common and Ford is aware of the issue nick naming it the “type writer tick” or “bbq tick”. I dealt with Dennis Winch as my service advisor and a week had gone by with no updates or follow ups. At this point I tried reaching out to get some info on the status of the car yet nobody had no information on the car and I had come to find out Dennis left on vacation and won’t be back for some time, I was irritated at this point. I spoke to The service department who assured me she’d reach out to the director to have him personally follow up on my car and get back to me. On 07/24/19 a service advisor Gabriel De Los Santos reached out to me informing me my car was ready. I was skeptical because no updates were provided so I asked what was the initial problem and was told the flywheel had been replaced as well as the cylinder asy clutch slave. Upon going to pick my car the next day I asked if any techs can ride along with me to assure the ticking sound is gone yet nobody was available so the manager of the service department Brandon Barrows told me if I hear the noise to just bring the car back. Sure enough as soon as I started the car the ticking noise was still evident so I returned the vehicle immediately. At this point a service advisor was available to ride along and confirmed he heard the ticking noise as well.

9 days later on 08/02/19 Lorenzo fords service calls me to inform me that they have replaced the clutch now (I’m skeptical because on the previous service they claim to have replaced the flywheel, you would assume the clutch would be inspected at this point with the transmission removed) however the noise still seems to be present, Lorenzo service at this point claimed to have opened a case with ford directly inquiring about the ticking/rattle and there response was that the ticking sound is “normal” and causes no damage to the vehicle.

08/02/2019 I’m not satisfied with Fords direct response, my car has accumulated over 27 days of service not to mention my car is not a factory assembly built vehicle anymore being that they’ve removed the transmission on multiple occasions trying to get to the source of the ticking/rattle with no success. I reached out to fords customer relations and opened my own case with the intentions of a buy back through ford, I was directed to wait on a follow up through my regional manger (1 Business day) but I was told a buy back is not guaranteed at this point.

08/05/2019 I follow up to see the status of my case because NO regional manger has reached out to me, at this point my car is ready for pick up from Lorenzo fords service team (with noise still evident) however ford recommends I wait to speak directly with the regional manager so they can coordinate with my service department to see the next plan of action, Ford customer relations assures me I will be contacted by the end of the day. NOBODY reached out to me and I’m still waiting to be contacted.

(08/06/19) this is day 4 no follow up I reach out to customer relations who claimed I’d be reached within 1 business day. Express my frustration being at a stand still waiting for others actions to relieve my situation. Ford provides me with a regional manager (Celeste Baez) phone number (866)-631-3788 Ext:77702. An attempt to transfer me directly over to speak with regional manager is made with no success I’m told a voice mail is left with my info and I will be contacted soon if not I can try and reach out myself with the info provided.

The vehicle has been out of service 27 days to repair one or more substantial defects.

3x attempts to repair the same substantial defect or condition. (Transmission removed on multiple occasions)

To be continued....
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Mine has never made the BBQ tick that I can tell, but does have the 2200 - 2800 rpm rattle since new (now at 8500 miles). Your experience is exactly why I've never taken it in. It has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty for a reason. If it has to go to the dealer for any of the ticking/rattling issues, it will be on a flatbed with a hole in the block. My recommendation would be to just drive it and not worry about it unless something catastrophic happens. You can always get rid of it before the powertrain warranty is up if you're worried about longevity. IMHO, these issues have been blown way out of proportion. Yes, there have been some catastrophic issues, but they are few and far between compared to the reports of these engines making weird noises.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Ford claims its normal. Maybe it is, but it certainly sounds very shitty. Probably aren't going to do anything. Stupid that they messed with the tranny and all that. Hard to imagine the ford techs didn't just say yup its normal, enjoy.

I just took mine in because it has the tick very bad. Hear it anytime im near a wall or other cars. Warm or cold. Tick tick tick tick(Knew ford would say its normal, they referred me to the TSB). I just wanted mine documented so if it goes boom, i can say look i told you guys i was worried. They had my car for around 8 hours. And the car was on for around 3 mins 30 sec when i got back in and looked at the engine timer. Some of that 3 mins was driving to the bay, and then back. I imagine he listened to my car for about 1 min.

OP
OP

Ibleedblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Laz
Vehicle(s)
Mine has never made the BBQ tick that I can tell, but does have the 2200 - 2800 rpm rattle since new (now at 8500 miles). Your experience is exactly why I've never taken it in. It has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty for a reason. If it has to go to the dealer for any of the ticking/rattling issues, it will be on a flatbed with a hole in the block. My recommendation would be to just drive it and not worry about it unless something catastrophic happens. You can always get rid of it before the powertrain warranty is up if you're worried about longevity. IMHO, these issues have been blown way out of proportion. Yes, there have been some catastrophic issues, but they are few and far between compared to the reports of these engines making weird noises.
Thanks for you 2 cents man. I just feel these cars haven’t been on the road long enough to determine the long term effects of the tick/rattle there’s concern for possible piston slap/ cylinder scorching. However some people want to just put it on the back burner and act like it’s all good that there new vehicle ticks and rattles, I’m not one of them. Ford has approved others buyback due to this same issue...why? because they were persistent and didn’t accept fords direct response of the noise being normal and causes no damage. If that’s the case ford should stand by there statement & extend the warranty to 75k at minimum in my case with 27 days of service accumulated & having their “techs” dissamble/reassemble my factory assembled vehicle. I like peace of mind especially when you pay 40k for a new mustang IMHO

Sponsored

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
i'd be in a 2018 right now if this problem never existed tbh. shift fork issue too

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Same here I haven't heard the tick yet with mine and I'm about 2400 miles still on the factory oil right now. But I sure as heck have the 2500 RPM or so range rattle and I think I have since it was new. I didn't notice it right away but I suspect it was there and it took hearing the sound reflect off of something to notice it. I had noticed by 700 miles for sure though. The car runs like a raped ape when pushed hard and it has used virtually no oil so far too. My plan is to have it noted at the first service but no way in Hell are people ripping my car apart without a damned good reason. I agree I either drive it or flatbed it LOL.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Thanks for you 2 cents man. I just feel these cars haven’t been on the road long enough to determine the long term effects of the tick/rattle there’s concern for possible piston slap/ cylinder scorching. However some people want to just put it on the back burner and act like it’s all good that there new vehicle ticks and rattles, I’m not one of them. Ford has approved others buyback due to this same issue...why? because they were persistent and didn’t accept fords direct response of the noise being normal and causes no damage. If that’s the case ford should stand by there statement & extend the warranty to 75k at minimum in my case with 27 days of service accumulated & having their “techs” dissamble/reassemble my factory assembled vehicle. I like peace of mind especially when you pay 40k for a new mustang IMHO
We aren't just burying our heads in the sand no one knows for sure what the source of the noises are. And you don't either other than some youtuber postulating on the cause. I don't believe piston slap would be in such a narrow and specific range as the rattle occurs and it would be more prevalent in the overall operation range of the engine but that too is of course just a guess like everything else noted around here.

But your car has been torn to rat-shit for no good reason as far as I can tell or at least with no change in the situation you are dealing with.

OP
OP

Ibleedblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Laz
Vehicle(s)
We aren't just burying our heads in the sand no one knows for sure what the source of the noises are. And you don't either other than some youtuber postulating on the cause. I don't believe piston slap would be in such a narrow and specific range as the rattle occurs and it would be more prevalent in the overall operation range of the engine but that too is of course just a guess like everything else noted around here.

But your car has been torn to rat-shit for no good reason as far as I can tell or at least with no change in the situation you are dealing with.
Torn to rat-shit for no good reason is right. You’d imagine that if the noise was “normal” there’d be no need to have my car serviced for an accumulated time of 27 days to come to that conclusion. Ford should already be well aware of this issue, So this will just be more documentation to strengthen my case. No one wants there car worked on for no reason! Just like no one wants a new car that ticks and rattles coming out the factory line it’s ridiculous!!! I regret selling my terminator ☹

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My car has 3300ish miles on it now and has the tick and 2k rattle. I brought it in for a separate interior issue and documented the sounds. My service rep gave a sigh of relief when I told him it just needs to be documented and not chased down. We laughed and agreed on warranty being all the piece of mind we need and he let me know his 18 has both noises too. Till it leaves me stranded, I'll continue to daily drive it without any worries. Doesn't matter if you break it in hard or per manual or buy someone else's "buyback" car, some make the sounds and some don't. Using my right foot, the 2k rattle can go away as it's replaced by much nicer sounds. Life is too short to worry about a random sound that effects nothing but what you let it. Just my opinion and not meant as a dig to the OP. Disclaimer due to internet and snowflakes.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I have a 2019 built in July 2018.

It ticks from time to time but not consistent. It rattles from time to time too but not consistent. It also drinks oil.

I had Ford document the ticking and oil consumption just in case the engine does go boom. But with the TSB coming out, as cover your ass it may be on Fords part, barring a complete let go of the motor they’re probably not going to entertain buybacks.

Everyone is different but my mindset is while we’d love to know what makes the noises I’m just going to drive it and if it blows it blows. They’ll replace it. That’s not ideal but still. And if it let’s go after my warranty then I’ll build it back up.

Good luck with your case and hope it all gets worked out.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Wow, not sure what this response is about. I thought we were all in this together. It's a forum, this is its purpose in assisting us when it can.
Anyway, thanks for posting about this troublesome engine issue. Hopefully you will not have it come to a head later in your ownership.
So it's old news to a new car that Most of us agree, it should Not be there.
GL and keep us posted on any updates.
It is a fact of life with this motor - it makes noises. The people that take their car to a Ford Dealer and demand it be dismantled for 20+ days - and ford comes out with a document on the issue (normal - fact of life - buy a toyota) - it drives a person in sane. Check out this moronic thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nder-damage-pics-ford-buyback-process.102509/

Pages upon pages of arm chair mechanics suggesting all range of moronic ideas - it is a lose piston pin - it is the rod tapping against something - it is the piston slapping against the cylinder walls (which are human hair in thickness) - it is this - it is that. All BS speculation bringing a bad name to the Coyote. Engines would have failed very quickly if many of these hokey ideas were true - it is an aluminum block after all - how many stories are there of block failures - pistons bursting through the cylinder walls?

"ford replaced my motor - but the issue is still there" dah. "My piston cylinders have marks on them" - no shit - that is what happens when a piston with rings moves within a cylinder wall - where is the failure due to this? There isn't any - they just bitch and moan until they get a new motor or Ford buys back their car - then they have the same issue - or they stay on the forum with their new car just to support their BS thread - spreading misinformation.

It is a big beautiful noisy ass motor - appreciate it - and drive it - don't worry about the weird noises - or buy a chevy LS based car which a much simpler architecture.

If you are new here - use the ignore feature on the thread owners - otherwise it will take some time for your to weed through all the BS and finally come to the final idea that these motors are complex (overly - look at an LS) and inherently noisy.

PS: We are in this together and should fight back when someone declares something unacceptable to "them" and raises an engine tear down thread raising "their" concerns about the motor - which give our car a bad rap. There was a time when every other mustang youtube video was - tick, rattle. Don't accept that crap.

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Drive it hard and ignore the ticks and rattles. That's what I do and I'm at 16k miles. Still ticking and rattling and driving strong.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
These motors tick and rattle. Especially on cold start and also more when idle. It's a design of the engine. Ford has even made official statements saying the sounds are NORMAL. Drive the piss out of it, you got a new car if it breaks you get a new one, that's it. Stop worrying about ticks and what ifs. I was just like you when I first bought my 2018 and started getting ticks and rattles. Now here I am, 1+ year in, 8100 miles and 4000+ miles of that on a tune and E85 and my car is still solid. I wish I wasn't so worried the first like 3-4 months I had the car, I missed some fun opportunities.

Hope this calms your nerves, and anyone elses just a little.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Even my 2012 F150 5.0 has had a tick for almost every one of its 187,000 miles.

F9ufUTn.gif
Sponsored