Sponsored

Ford Boss Puts the Kibosh on ‘Unreasonable’ Dealer Markups

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
so Ford thinks a car is worth x and charges accordingly but the dealers think they can can get x + whatever percent and they do and keep the original profit margin and whatever percent extra? No wonder dealers don't care about servicing cars when they can sit back and take the cash from their sales team.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
so Ford thinks a car is worth x and charges accordingly but the dealers think they can can get x + whatever percent and they do and keep the original profit margin and whatever percent extra? No wonder dealers don't care about servicing cars when they can sit back and take the cash from their sales team.
Basically, yes. But it's not their fault. They couldn't get away with it if there weren't loads of customers willing to pay extra for the privilege of driving the car home on the same day. It's basic supply and demand. They're supplying a product (the car) and a service (immediate delivery), both of which are in high demand. Consequently, they charge x for the product and y for the service. Seems legit to me.
You don't need the service? Fine, then place an order with Ford and wait six months. And you'll only pay x for the product.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Basically, yes. But it's not their fault. They couldn't get away with it if there weren't loads of customers willing to pay extra for the privilege of driving the car home on the same day. It's basic supply and demand. They're supplying a product (the car) and a service (immediate delivery), both of which are in high demand. Consequently, they charge x for the product and y for the service. Seems legit to me.
You don't need the service? Fine, then place an order with Ford and wait six months. And you'll only pay x for the product.
except in z months time the price has gone up or your order is cancelled and sold to someone else for more money. It's a sh1te system but yes if folks play it then they certainly pay it

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
except in z months time the price has gone up or your order is cancelled and sold to someone else for more money.
That is a problem, indeed. It's a pity that such practices are allowed. :frown:
Over here they can't do that. Such a blatant breach of contract wouldn't just be against the law, but it would be a massive blow to the dealer's reputation as well. They would lose their clientele in no time, and I suspect they'd also risk losing their Ford dealership licence. A major, reputable dealership would never even think of doing it. Once you sign that contract, it's written in stone.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks! Yes so far I really like it. Of course it's been either raining or snowing almost every day since I got it, but I think it will be a nice upgrade to the FiST.
Front np.JPG

Rear np.JPG
I love everything about the GR86 EXCEPT the asymmetrical gas cap. What the hell were they thinking! Lmao. But it's not exactly a huge deal.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I love everything about the GR86 EXCEPT the asymmetrical gas cap. What the hell were they thinking! Lmao. But it's not exactly a huge deal.
I wish I had an ugly gas cap on the correct side of the car, rather than a beautiful and symmetrical one on the wrong side. :p
All the cusswords I know spring to my mind when I need to fill up (which, given the Mustang's stupidly tiny fuel tank, happens quite often). :giggle:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are a few niggles about the car, but it's just an absolute pleasure to drive something that weighs well under 3,000 lbs and is somewhat low to the ground. I'm getting used to the stereo, turn signals and a few other things like that. I probably will have to do something with the seat, because the base is a little too narrow for me. But other than that I love it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There are a few niggles about the car, but it's just an absolute pleasure to drive something that weighs well under 3,000 lbs and is somewhat low to the ground. I'm getting used to the stereo, turn signals and a few other things like that. I probably will have to do something with the seat, because the base is a little too narrow for me. But other than that I love it.
I agree. I've always been a fan of light cars, I've had a few. The thing that drew me to the Mustang was that sweet DOHC V8, it makes up for it being a heavy lady. But in most fun driving situations, a light car with good steering feel is just heaven.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree. I've always been a fan of light cars, I've had a few. The thing that drew me to the Mustang was that sweet DOHC V8, it makes up for it being a heavy lady. But in most fun driving situations, a light car with good steering feel is just heaven.
Yes the Coyote is a great engine and the flat 4 in the 86 doesn't seem nearly as good to me. I'm still in break in and power production seems acceptable, but the sounds it makes are mostly meh.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I wish I had an ugly gas cap on the correct side of the car, rather than a beautiful and symmetrical one on the wrong side. :p
Don't understand. Can't you pull up to the pumps on either side of the car? And if cap is on driver side (your's is LHD, right?), no walking around. I thought manufacturers went with different sides specifically to average out how many drivers want one side of the pumps.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Don't understand. Can't you pull up to the pumps on either side of the car? And if cap is on driver side (your's is LHD, right?), no walking around.
I don't mind walking around. What I do mind is having to stop far enough from the pump so I can still open the door without hitting it against the pump, but not as far as to prevent someone from using the pump next to me. Add to that the fact that many gas stations around here have metal bars around the pumps to protect them from stupid drivers, and which are higher than the lower edge of the door. And I can't see them when I'm parked next to them; I've no idea how wide I can safely open the door.
With the gas cap on the right it's a breeze. I just park as close as I can to the pump, then there's plenty of room for me to open the door easily and comfortably as wide as I wish.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't mind walking around. What I do mind is having to stop far enough from the pump so I can still open the door without hitting it against the pump, but not as far as to prevent someone from using the pump next to me. Add to that the fact that many gas stations around here have metal bars around the pumps to protect them from stupid drivers, and which are higher than the lower edge of the door. And I can't see them when I'm parked next to them; I've no idea how wide I can safely open the door.
With the gas cap on the right it's a breeze. I just park as close as I can to the pump, then there's plenty of room for me to open the door easily and comfortably as wide as I wish.
Got it. I'm guessing lanes are narrower there than my area. Places around here with pumps across from each other are far enough apart for doors to fully open on both sides and a car still can drive between them.

My father ranted about my Cadillac having the cap on the passenger side. Wish I had thought of your point for our debate. I don't have video of our argument but this is very similar:

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
How do you feel about the Supra now getting the M6?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Me too. But this approach isn't without drawbacks. Having to wait a year for your Tesla, only to have it delivered with less options than you'd ordered, being told: "take it or leave it, we don't care, we've got plenty of customers lined up at our door anyway", isn't exactly the most pleasant experience.
I wouldn't buy a Tesla, but I would expect it to be built to my specs.
Sponsored