Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
While I do think that some people will be easily swayed into an Ecosport or an Escape, others will do their research online and avoid the Ford dealership altogether and go buy a Civic / Corolla / etc. instead. Then one day those people will want a bigger vehicle (growing family, etc.), and if they had a good experience with their Honda/Toyota/etc., there's a pretty good chance they will stay with that brand.

I could be wrong, but this decision feels a little short-sighted.

The Focus sales numbers are actually pretty impressive to me considering how awful the DCT transmission is.
Right, how many routinely switch back and forth between android and I-phone.
Usually stick with what you know, if was decent or better.
Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
$4 gas and then what Ford...:doh:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I’m all in favor of Ford’s plan. I think it’s the right move for the time. I bold move even.
Sure . . . if as a customer you're willing to jump on the tall ride height bandwagon and/or if your driving emotion runs toward the off-road stuff (most SUVs never go off the paved part, not intentionally anyway).

Bold, yup. Gotta admit, it does take guts to stop caring about the people who don't want those things and to not mind losing them as customers (potentially forever).

Norm

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Why are you comparing old models and platforms, to what is coming..?

And once again, MPG won't matter as much, because Ford's newer SUV will have electric motors, along-side efficient turbo engines.

The rest of your argument is laughable. SUVs handle much better in all kinds of weather and are typical AWD and have longer suspension travel and all purpose tires.
Comparing what they have RIGHT NOW. Point me to the independent road test reviews of future vehicles, and I'll use those. :rolleyes:

ALL kinds of weather? Not rain. Same chassis, but lighter vehicle with thinner tire will win every time, especially hydroplanning.

And snow, this is the stock monster tire that gets you a whole .83 G's in the dry.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ear=2016&autoModel=Edge AWD&autoModClar=Sport

Pretty crappy rating in the snow. The 4cyl version of the fusion comes in AWD, and it handles even better than the Sport, since it is 3-400 lbs less weight. Suspect comparing it to a non sport edge would be a bloodbath in handling.

But I guess ford figures who needs a vehicle that handles well, when your doing 15 under the speed limit, staring at your phone anyway............

Call up NJMP and ask them if they allow SUV's? I've been there 3 times recently.
Not even for a HPDE, but for paced laps (since I just started doing it).

Instructors claim they had a Edge Sport there once. It made it 2 laps in the beginner
segment and they had to ask the guy to get off the track. They only know allow very few SUV's
now, like some of the Porsche's.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
When economy becomes a priority, hybrid CUVs won't save Ford. The MSRP of those will be prohibitive when the idea is to save money. Those with small ICE cars will reap the benefits. They will lose many customers for good that didn't want an F series or Mustang. Very sad.

This was a short-term stock booster, and a concession that they refuse to put the right people and money on the platforms to make them competitive, thus sending most customers to Honda, Toyota and Hyundai.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I am seeing endless new Honda Accords and Toyota Camry-ies out on the road.

The fusion wasn't a bad car. It was wasn't compelling unless you got an up-level trim, which at that point got far too expensive. The Taurus was garbage from day 1. I have never seen a car be SO BIG yet SO SMALL inside, and they drove like ass.

Don't like a single Ford SUV, personally. The ones that can tow dump the rear suspension with just a car on a trailer, where-as GM competition doesn't at all.

For sure my Mustang is my last Ford. Needing a new steering rack at 38K is BS. Totally stock, untouched, non-tracked Mustangs needed new steering racks even earlier. Can't wait for my AC to go out. Of course at that point, might as well make it a race car! :)

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The MSRP of those will be prohibitive when the idea is to save money.
Sure, the MSRP might be prohibitive, but that juicy 84-month loan will take care of that :headbonk:

Seriously though, this factor can't be ignored in the reasoning behind the move to axe cars. Sticking to high-margin vehicles + financing the hell out of them so anyone making little to no money can "afford" an expensive truck/SVU = making money hand over fist.

And potentially bringing on the next debt-based recession....

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I would too i hate dodge, im just making a point, ford is cancelling taurus and dodge is selling chargers lots and lots. To everybody not just the gsp
Despite some states mistakenly going with FCA crap, Ford is still #1 in police vehicles. The Taurus Police Interceptor is still the fastest and, IIRC best handling police vehicle according to the Michigan Police tests.

The weird thing is that the #1 police vehicle is an SUV...

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I am seeing endless new Honda Accords and Toyota Camry-ies out on the road.
Interesting. The data says the sales of them has been in the crapper despite being "All New". Toyota managed a small sales gain last month with huge incentives on the hood...

The Taurus was garbage from day 1. I have never seen a car be SO BIG yet SO SMALL inside, and they drove like ass.
Yes, it's big outside and about all it needs is more leg room in the rear. The front is a nice place to be. And in SHO/PI form it drives just fine, better than most think and certainly as good as or better than the competition (Charger, 300).

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The move will be smart in the sense that Ford has backed themselves into this corner.

They have to drop the revenue sucking products, in which they don't compete very well in right now.

Fiesta: Who in the USA buys a Fiesta?

Focus: ST is nice....BUT, next generation Focus is going to be Chinese built => Focus is dead to me. The Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Subaru Impreza (WRX) are all better choices.
Focus RS is awesome, but too $$ to be a volume player.

Fusion: versus the new 2019 Honda Accord or 2019 Toyota Camry. I would honestly feel like an idiot if I let my heart (Ford fan) dictate me buying a Fusion over either the Accord or Camry....both the Camry and Accord kick the crap out of the Fusion right now. I like the Fusion Sport, but its too $$ to sell in large numbers.

Ford can 'PLAY and WIN' in the Pony Car, SUV, CUV & Truck segments.

Agree to a lot of this said. Declining sales of sedans overall across brands is another important fact that Ford actually made this decision a while ago not to invest in new designs in the loosing battle. The Camry has so much discounts on the hood that Ford not only has a product slightly below par (still good) but would not be able to even make a dime even if the volume justified it with slightly higher cost per vehicle vs Toyota.

Sponsored

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
As a guy who just traded in his Mustang for an Edge Sport because my wife is pregnant I am disappointed in myself. Also, as a guy who drives the incredibly practical, quick for what it is, and just plain nice Edge I agree with most everyone else that this is a bad move.

My first car was a hand me down 91 SHO. My dad had an 86 Saleen in the garage the entire time I was growing up which is how I fell in love with Mustangs. My mom's Taurus wagon was awful and she went import for awhile but guess what? She drives an Edge Titanium now. My dad a 13 Mustang, before that a Fusion Sport, before that a 01 Mustang. Sitting next to my Edge in the garage is my wife's Focus RS. Before my 15 GT I just traded in I had a 13. We've owned Hondas, VWs, a Mazda, a Toyota, and a Nissan but my family bought 13 new Fords over the past 32 years. Of those 13 10 were cars. And while 5 were Mustangs I know for a fact my wife, my mom, and my sister would not be driving the Fords they own if it wasn't for the Fusion, Taurus, Focus, and Fiesta.

My point here is that I am 2nd generation Ford family. If the cars that linked the Mustangs and the SUVs didn't exist we wouldn't have 5 Fords between 5 drivers. When Ford says if you want a car don't come to us they are telling many loyal customers to look elsewhere. They are also telling new customers. when the early twenty something, who has saved up and wants something a little unique like a Fiesta ST or a plain Focus (car) to customize sorry bud can't help ya. Even my sister who has a Fiesta SE with a manual. By! In a business predicated on getting people in and once they are there don't let them leave until they buy, they just willingly gave up a portion of their foot traffic.

P.S. The Edge is nice but it is very boring to drive coming from a Mustang. Hopefully i can sneak in another 5.0 before the hybrids take over.:)

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I agree with the rest of what you said but...
yeah... an ICE car can make it across a state without refilling.

:confused:
Yeah, that was a pretty stupid comment. As a kid, we'd travel from MI to FL every winter. Routinely went from Detroit to Cincinnati (entire state of OH) on a single tank in our land yacht.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is this what people were saying when the station wagon was going out of fashion, too?
Yes, but station wagons are making a comeback. See Mazda and Jaguar. Wagons never died in Europe.

James Hackett may have made it big as CEO of Steelcase, but remember this: for decades the first thing financial advisors grind on over and over: "Diversify your portfolio."

Think this is not life changing advice? Wait until your 401K crashes because you didn't diversify and you have nothing but your social security income to live on.

Good luck with making that work as you stand at traffic lights with a plastic cup trying to get your dinner money.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Another thing is that many SUVs and crossovers are FAST. Some handle very well and then they hold a lot of stuff and people. The Escape, in my opinion, is the nicest looking small SUV available. If they can get mileage up a bit, then they will really have something.

hcappie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
SUVs/CUVs outselling sedans is fact. Sedan sales declining & losing market share is fact. But are sedans still selling? Yes they are. Is there still a market for sedans? Yes. There are tons of Accords, Camrys, @nd yes, Fusions on the road. Ford sedans might not be selling what Ford “projects”, but they are still selling in decent quantities. Not meeting projections does not equate to not making profit. Why abandon an entire segment that still has life left in it and profit to be made? In my opinion it is a bad move. They could adjust production to meet demand and streamline their offerings by eliminating money losers. Take the Taurus for one. It was nice when it came out. But Ford does not market it and hasn’t really updated it in a long time. Ford basically signed its death certificate by neglecting it. Ever drive one? It is a very large car that is poorly packaged. The interior feels big, bulky, & tight. Not really comfortable. Lots of wasted space. The Taurus could have been a flagship, rear drive V8 competitor to the Dodge Charger. If Ford didn’t neglect it & packaged it well inside & out & made it agressive looking Ford could have had a potential money maker.
Sponsored